Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 12:09 AM

67 posts, read 63,726 times

Advertisements

By that I mean, say you have a woman that is single, no kids but is say 30 and works at wal mart or a fast food place, the same as a man in the same position? The reason I ask is it seems women get a LOT more leeway when it comes to do very little with their life then men do. So if you knew a woman that was in the aforementioned scenario would you look down on her as much as a man in the same scenario, ie a loser that has no drive/ambition and is wasting their life away?

Old 08-27-2016, 12:15 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,734 times
What is it that HAS to be done to make a worthwhile life? if somebody is OK with life so far, so be it.

Old 08-27-2016, 12:18 AM

1,481 posts, read 1,226,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanastra View Post
By that I mean, say you have a woman that is single, no kids but is say 30 and works at wal mart or a fast food place, the same as a man in the same position? The reason I ask is it seems women get a LOT more leeway when it comes to do very little with their life then men do. So if you knew a woman that was in the aforementioned scenario would you look down on her as much as a man in the same scenario, ie a loser that has no drive/ambition and is wasting their life away?
Only if I had to date them, otherwise I'm indifferent to how other people live their lives.

Old 08-27-2016, 01:09 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,928,806 times
People should be judged by their actions.

Nothing else. Not how many material things you have, what colour, sex, religion etc they are.

The person working at Walmart or McD's may be just as proud of their job and life achievements as a millionaire CEO.

If you judge them on anything other than how they treat the people around them, then it is you who has the problem.

Old 08-27-2016, 01:18 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,193,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1xolisiwe View Post
Only if I had to date them, otherwise I'm indifferent to how other people live their lives.
This. Unless it comes to me dating someone, I don't pay much attention because it doesn't effect me on a personal level.

Old 08-27-2016, 01:22 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Whatever profession makes someone happy is their choice.
I am curious though and this is for all of those who believe that everyone who works at Walmart, fast food, gasoline stations or any other job considered *lazy, uneducated, no ambition*.
Who exactly would be doing all of those jobs and waiting on you as a customer if they all sat in the cubicle next to you?
No one really knows why anyone else is doing the job they do. They could be working because their children are grown and they want something to do, they could be working a second job to get out of debt, provide for their children, help their parents with medical bills, they could have some sort of mental or physical disability that does not allow for a job that is considered acceptable by society.

Old 08-27-2016, 01:25 AM

4,523 posts, read 3,408,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Whatever profession makes someone happy is their choice.
I am curious though and this is for all of those who believe that everyone who works at Walmart, fast food, gasoline stations or any other job considered *lazy, uneducated, no ambition*.
Who exactly would be doing all of those jobs and waiting on you as a customer if they all sat in the cubicle next to you?
No one really knows why anyone else is doing the job they do. They could be working because their children are grown and they want something to do, they could be working a second job to get out of debt, provide for their children, help their parents with medical bills, they could have some sort of mental or physical disability that does not allow for a job that is considered acceptable by society.
Thank you! You basically posted what I wanted to say.

This is something that annoys the heck out of me. People assuming others are only working those kinds of jobs cause they're lazy.

Old 08-27-2016, 01:27 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1xolisiwe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
This. Unless it comes to me dating someone, I don't pay much attention because it doesn't effect me on a personal level.
So, when/if you meet your dream partner you would not date them if they worked at Walmart?
Is their job so important to toss lifelong happiness into the trash bin?

Old 08-27-2016, 01:50 AM

67 posts, read 63,726 times
Quote:
So, when/if you meet your dream partner you would not date them if they worked at Walmart?
Yeah, my thoughts as well.

This is a kind of double standard I see though: If a guy is an otherwise nice guy if a woman says something like "Well, the guy is nice and all, but he's 30 and his greatest ambition is wal mart/mcdonald's? That's pretty sad and not a guy I would want" people, especially other women would be totally understanding and even say things like "Yeah, why date some guy that is 30 and works at wal mart/mcdonald's?".

Whereas if a woman is an otherwise great girl if a man says something like "Well, she is nice and all, but she is 30 and all she has done with her life is work at wal mart/mcdonald's? That's sad, and to low for me". He would be viewed as hugely shallow and demonized.

Old 08-27-2016, 02:08 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,193,612 times
Quote:
Aren't you someone who has stated at some point that happiness is something you don't, or shouldn't need a partner for? So if you reject someone and don't date them, it equates to being unhappy, let alone unhappy forever?

And far as double standards go, they're everywhere. But nothing to be done about it, except ignore people and do whatever you do best. lol

1. Man sleeps with 50 women, he's a stud. Women sleeps with 50 men, she's a ****.
2. Guy sleeps around with, then dumps, the women he deems "trashy", but then expects to marry a virgin or "good girl." Even though he isn't a "good boy."
3. On this forum, from a good few guys -or maybe 1 guy with multiple accounts lol. Guy has trouble dating, it's hard. Woman has trouble dating, she'll get called too picky and unrealistic with her value . league.
4. Men are accepted if they're hairy. A woman with body hair gets looked upon as gross. Some men I hear stated, women are "supposed to be" hairless and smooth. And some stating they would not date women who didn't shave.

And I have heard some guys on this very forum state they would not date a woman who worked at WM or MD. So it happens.

Everyone's got their personal standards. But it'll only help, or hurt them personally. So they're good. Some people eventually lower their standards, realizing they were being too stubborn or shallow. Others keep them high, and either get what they want, or stay single by choice. But they;re the ones having to live with their beliefs and choices.

Last edited by HappyRain; 08-27-2016 at 02:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships