Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 07:59 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

You don't know anything about that woman, nor how was her life the past seven years. She could be married with children, or having SO.
Obviously she was not interested to know you, or kept contact with you. You are not connecting anything.
You are nothing more than an acquaintance she met briefly and forgot about.
Not just an acquaintance, a relative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 08:59 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,114,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
Not really, we are distant cousins. She is my cousin's daughter, so first cousin once removed.
I don't think you're right about that label.
She is your cousin's daughter?
What level of a cousin is this?
If this is your first cousin's daughter, then gross, dude. That's way too close of a relation.
If this is your second cousin's daughter, then still gross but at least not as close of a branch on the family tree. And therefore a more distant cousin than the first but still not totally distant.
Distant relatives are farther away from your core family but still a weird and bizarre option for someone to choose for a mate!

I think hooking up with a blood relative is gross and personally the thought would never even cross my mind. I wasn't raised to find my relatives attractive.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:56 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGal7 View Post
I don't think you're right about that label.
She is your cousin's daughter?
What level of a cousin is this?
If this is your first cousin's daughter, then gross, dude. That's way too close of a relation.
If this is your second cousin's daughter, then still gross but at least not as close of a branch on the family tree. And therefore a more distant cousin than the first but still not totally distant.
Distant relatives are farther away from your core family but still a weird and bizarre option for someone to choose for a mate!

I think hooking up with a blood relative is gross and personally the thought would never even cross my mind. I wasn't raised to find my relatives attractive.
This is a matter of opinion, which you are certainly free to spout.
Mine is that what you opined is rubbish

Old 08-21-2016, 10:01 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGal7 View Post

Need we remind you of Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt?

Old 08-21-2016, 11:37 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,521,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
I never post anything in the relationship forum, but here it goes.

I plan on going to Europe next spring, visit several key cities. I intend to stay in Europe for about one month or even less. Cities I am considering are Paris, Berlin, Vienna, Rome and last but not least-Geneva. I could change my mind on those cities but Geneva is definitely going to be my longest and major stop. Reason is because a woman who lives there.

Anyways this woman is a first cousin once removed, we are the same exact age(29). I live in Los Angeles and she has been living in Geneva, Switzerland since 2009, she used to live in Iran prior. I met her once when she and her mom came over and stayed with my family for a month and a half. I never pined over her, nothing obsessive that did not allow me to live my life and or seek other relationships with other women. But every once and a while I have this nagging feeling that I should go over and see her and take a chance, just let my feelings known. The obstacles are huge, first being geography. Relationships are dictated by distance, the closer obviously, the better chance of seeing each other. Also there is no guarantee she even likes me beyond a distant relative, and has no idea I feel this way with her. To be honest I have no idea if she has a boyfriend.

My plan is to go to Europe, and stopping in Switzerland to see her. But I don't want it to seem like I went there for the sole purpose of seeing her. That would seem creepy. I would send her message on Facebook or some social media site a month in advance and tell her that I wil be Geneva on a certain date and that we should meet. I would give my number and see how she responds. If things go ideally, we would explore the city together and spend some time.

Is this a good idea or bad in your view? I have no qualms with putting my feelings to her, even at the risk of looking like a fool.
That is half of the battle mate, only if you're prepared to go for it then you have every chance

Personally yes I think it's a long shot and the distance would be HUGE problem for me but if you GENUINELY feel you have a chance and am willing to try your luck then I wish you all the best mate

But again it's a long shot at best and she's a relative stranger...... I just wouldn't want you to get your hopes up too high because if it goes sour you'll most probably get hurt .

Ps Europe is great.... You'll meet women in any country should it not pan out

Old 08-21-2016, 02:06 PM

3,993 posts, read 8,924,538 times

Old 08-21-2016, 02:55 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,334,272 times
So, you wanna go out of your way, spend all this time and money to try to bang a relative overseas that probably thinks the whole idea of getting with you is just....ewww.

Heck why not.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:38 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,604,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
So, you wanna go out of your way, spend all this time and money to try to bang a relative overseas that probably thinks the whole idea of getting with you is just....ewww.

Heck why not.
She must be something. It's not like the OP can't get any female attention. I've seen his photo.

Old 08-21-2016, 05:05 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,060,287 times
Hi. I don't know - there are just too many problems to be encountered with all of this.

By all means, keep in contact with this woman if you are visiting Europe, and there would be no harm in meeting up with her. But don't go mentioning any romantic feelings to her, when you meet her.

First of all, she may not feel the same way and she may see you as family only. Your extended family may not accept you as a couple either. Secondly, would be the logistics of having a long distance relationship with someone who lives in Europe, whilst you live in the US.

Is this all really worth it?

Old 08-21-2016, 08:12 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,676,857 times
Too funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships