Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 07:39 PM

10 posts, read 12,718 times

Advertisements

I've gone out on a few dates with a wonderful woman and I just found out I'm Herpes HSV2 positive. What can I tell her that will convince her to continue to date me? Here's one approach-
Focus on what steps we can take to ensure zero or close to zero transmission during sex. This will include daily meds, abstinence during outbreaks and condoms nearly always (should I change this to always?).

Other than that I dont know what other fears/insecurities I should address. Should I suggest that we go together to a Doctor and get his/her opinion? I fear that she'll read stuff on the internet and freak out. Frankly that's not reality.
Should I gather stories of successful discordant couples?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 08:02 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,639,720 times
Go indirect passive voice for the bad news followed by good news in active voice..

For example,

While I may have the incurable and highly contagious Herpes Simplex virus II, I did save on car insurance by switching to Geico.

Maybe post more as you are currently a one post wonder.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:49 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,072,619 times
My two cents, just tell them that you have it and then ask them if you can answer any questions that they may have. If she does have concerns or questions, answer what you can and also let her that there's a lot of misinformation on the web and that you're more than happy to a doctor if that will help her feel more comfortable with the situation. Then let her make the decision and try not to take it personally.

Also, I hope you know she can still get infected even if you don't have an outbreak. And wearing a condom will only prevent it if your outbreak areas are covered by the condom, which usually it's not. Drugs are great nowadays, but they're not perfect. That's why I say don't take it personally if she says no regardless of all the precautions. I have HSV2 and I wouldn't date someone that has outbreaks in their genital region, because I don't want it there (mine isn't down there).

Old 08-04-2016, 09:04 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,338,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by american_man View Post
I've gone out on a few dates with a wonderful woman and I just found out I'm Herpes HSV2 positive. What can I tell her that will convince her to continue to date me? Here's one approach-
Focus on what steps we can take to ensure zero or close to zero transmission during sex. This will include daily meds, abstinence during outbreaks and condoms nearly always (should I change this to always?).

Other than that I dont know what other fears/insecurities I should address. Should I suggest that we go together to a Doctor and get his/her opinion? I fear that she'll read stuff on the internet and freak out. Frankly that's not reality.
Should I gather stories of successful discordant couples?
There is no other way around this for you than telling her and going together to a doctor.
You have to tell her, because there is no cure and it is very contagious. It is a crime not to tell a partner that one suffers from an STD.

As psichick mentioned Herpes is also contagious at times when there is no outbreak = flare up, but less. It can also be transmitted by kissing, and skin to skin contact.

Take a doctor's app and talk to her to join you The doc will certainly be able to explain everything to you.
If you hide it towards her, it will make everything worse, good luck!

Last edited by rent.in.nyc; 08-04-2016 at 09:13 PM..

Old 08-04-2016, 09:08 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
HSV is fairly common, as STDs go. Don't rule out the possibility that she may have it as well. Or HPV, another common one.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:37 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,413,624 times
"Before we go any further with this I need to tell you I have herpes."

Yet another reason why herpes people need to seek out and date other herpes people.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:50 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
HSV is fairly common, as STDs go. Don't rule out the possibility that she may have it as well. Or HPV, another common one.
This. It's incredibly common.

Though hopefully HPV is getting more rare with the vaccine. I know both my nephews had it when they were younger.

Old 08-05-2016, 04:56 PM

10 posts, read 12,718 times
Thanks All.
I'm feeling very vulnerable and worry that I'm not strong enough to lose her. I'll endup crying when I talk to her.. .maybe cry hard. Is it ok to show raw emotions like this OR should I keep my composure.

Old 08-05-2016, 05:10 PM

17,326 posts, read 22,081,380 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGNznlat2EM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships