Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 09:44 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
its a viable request during divorce proceedings.

with various generations now expected to earn income....it think the laws need to improve on this old way of "taking care" of the other spouse.
And their children.

A woman I dated for a couple of years in Madison was the child of a divorce. As part of of their divorce agreement it was agreed that her father would pay half of her undergrad tuition. Her mother died of cancer right before she graduated high school. He never paid a dime to help her (and still wanted to be at her graduation party). She worked so hard going to school full time and working full time over those years, and she didn't have any real recourse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 10:59 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
And their children.

A woman I dated for a couple of years in Madison was the child of a divorce. As part of of their divorce agreement it was agreed that her father would pay half of her undergrad tuition. Her mother died of cancer right before she graduated high school. He never paid a dime to help her (and still wanted to be at her graduation party). She worked so hard going to school full time and working full time over those years, and she didn't have any real recourse.
yes some states do allow that to be negotiated into the support agreement where in BOTH parents contribute to the Higher education fund. So the departed parent' would have had part of the money as well....unsure why she didn't have recourse?

My Bio Dad came to my graduation...I didn't hold things like that against him....Once a person is an adult, they tend to pay there own way in life...

This topic is about pension specifically which is entirely separate when dealing with dissolution.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:10 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
No. Read this:Social Security Retirement Benefits: The Last Insult of a Sexist Society. But then read this:https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/yourdivspouse.html.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:49 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Quote:
I can start collecting as soon as my ex husband reaches earliest retirement age.
Thanks you so it CAN be done.
My co-worker says he’s still working to keep the ex from getting her half of his pension.

I was just trying to educate the guy that, IF she had a good lawyer and forced the issue, she MIGHT be able to get her half whether HE keeps working or not. So there’s no need for him to keep working JUST to keep her from getting half.

BUT I’m not her lawyer and she’s been dumb enough not to push it, so that’s on her.

All I know is IF I were her I’d force the issue to get my money. I’d say YOU can keep working as long as you like I am going to get my half – even if you never retire.

So any future ex-spouses out there – you don’t have to wait until the ex retires to get you share of the pension.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:06 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
This only applies to US Social Security. I needs to be said that to get a full half, you will have to defer your SS benefits to your max benefits age, which varies depending on what SS age cohort you are in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships