Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 02:16 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,136,916 times

Advertisements

So i have always loved the movie castaway. For those that have not seen it, its about a man who is in a plane crash and gets stuck on an island for several years. He eventually returns home at the end of the movie, only to find out that the love of his life has gotten married again & had a kid and moved on with her life bc she thought he was dead. Its a good movie and it has tom hanks in it. Its a good love story but that's not the only part of the movie, but I just bring it up bc for some reason I have always been really interested in what others would do in that situation.

Say your husband or wife got in a plane crash and their body was never found and you thought they were dead so you just moved on with your life and got remarried. Then say it turns out they weren't dead after all and they are found alive. When they return would you get back together with them and leave your current love? Or would you stay with your new partner?

I have no clue what I would do but I'm super interested in the opinions of others. There's no right or wrong answer in my opinion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2016, 02:53 PM

50,727 posts, read 36,431,973 times
I think there is no way to know...she still loved her new husband, and they had children together and a good life...that makes a difference. She still loved Tom, but not enough to turn her kids' world upside down, nor the husband who had helped her through a dark time in her life. If there were kids involved as well as marriage to a good man and good father, I would probably have done what she did. If there weren't kids, I think she might have left with him in the movie.

Old 09-17-2016, 02:58 PM
qwy

296 posts, read 520,176 times
Hi Upsadaisy,

I loved that movie! If I remember correctly, the women who played his fiance' fainted when she discovered he was alive, and it was emotionally destroying her, that is why her now husband had to come in to talk to Tom Hanks (though also if I remember correctly, he was kind of a territorial dick... maybe he was scared that Tom Hanks would still his wife).

Plus at the end, she WAS willing to run away with Tom Hanks, but he choose not to let her do it because he knew it was morally wrong, she was a married woman, he was not an adultery. Also wasn't it like over 10 years since he was on that island, she that would be wrong to leave a good man who gave you years of love just because an old love came back into your life.

WOW! Forgot how much I loved that movie!

I would do exactly as Tom Hanks did. If I was the woman, I would do exactly as Tom Hanks did.

Let me ask you this Upsadaisy, if we were married for about 5-10 years (I don't think it said in the movie how long she had been married), and out of nowhere a woman who I though had past came back saying they loved me, would you be okay with me leaving you? Would you understand? If it were me, I would acknowledge her feelings (though it would hurt knowing that my wife not only loved another man, but was in love with another man), but I would feel horrible knowing that she had to consider if she should choose me or him. That would crush my confidence in our love, if she had to debate it.

That movie was romantic, but at the end of the day, it "somewhat" justified adultery. Or at the very least it promoted choosing fantasy (what if) over reality. Remember she never married Tom Hanks, they just dated, she dated and married the new guy.

Ps. I hope that my post did not come off as antagonistic or condescending, I am happy to finally meet a fellow lover of this great movie (^_^)

Old 09-17-2016, 03:02 PM
qwy

296 posts, read 520,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
If there were kids involved as well as marriage to a good man and good father, I would probably have done what she did. If there weren't kids, I think she might have left with him in the movie.

Hello Ocnjgirl,

I had forgot about the children. If there were no kids, but just a good husband, would you have still stayed or ran away with your greatest love? (When people die, we only remember the good, so I am sure in her mind, the relationship she had with Tom Hanks was much better than her current one)

Old 09-17-2016, 03:10 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,521,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post
So i have always loved the movie castaway. For those that have not seen it, its about a man who is in a plane crash and gets stuck on an island for several years. He eventually returns home at the end of the movie, only to find out that the love of his life has gotten married again & had a kid and moved on with her life bc she thought he was dead. Its a good movie and it has tom hanks in it. Its a good love story but that's not the only part of the movie, but I just bring it up bc for some reason I have always been really interested in what others would do in that situation.

Say your husband or wife got in a plane crash and their body was never found and you thought they were dead so you just moved on with your life and got remarried. Then say it turns out they weren't dead after all and they are found alive. When they return would you get back together with them and leave your current love? Or would you stay with your new partner?

I have no clue what I would do but I'm super interested in the opinions of others. There's no right or wrong answer in my opinion
Hello

To be honest it's a very hard one...

If memory serves he was on the island and missing for 3/4 years? .... If I were presumed dead for that long and my girlfriend/wife moved on I'd accept it and be happy for her as I'd know there was no possible way for her to know I was still alive and she would have already come to terms with my " death ".

If I was the new boyfriend in the situation and she had just found out her " ex " husband was still alive I'd honestly be completely understanding of her choice whichever she made .... As id realise the shock, emotion and the impossible dilemma she would have.... If she wanted to resume or go back to the husband of course it would be hard for me but I'd make it easy for her to do so.

If I was the one in the middle..... Much like yourself I've got absolutely NO idea my love ..... It's very hard.

Old 09-17-2016, 03:32 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
First things first. I am never, ever, under any circumstances traveling with Tom Hanks. No way.

Old 09-17-2016, 03:35 PM

11,790 posts, read 12,025,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
First things first. I am never, ever, under any circumstances traveling with Tom Hanks. No way.
Especially not in connection with airplanes!

Old 09-17-2016, 03:37 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Especially not in connection with airplanes!
Anything that flies. Spacecraft included.

Old 09-17-2016, 04:09 PM

594 posts, read 379,841 times
Tom Hanks had an affair with Wilson. So what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Old 09-17-2016, 04:10 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,521,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Raccoon View Post
Tom Hanks had an affair with Wilson. So what's good for the goose is good for the gander.
That was more " bromance " not romance LMAO...

But I suppose after 4 years ... AHEM! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships