Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 12:12 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,106,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Total lack of self-awareness is one reason. If you know perfectly well you are an awkward person, why would you throw yourself under the bus by doing a show like this in the first place?
I think the same thing about the Bachelor/Bachelorette show. Why would you do that to yourself?

The women give the impression that ALL women are that ditzy. The men give the impression that ALL men are in need of good hair, big bucks, a fast car, etc., etc. ARGH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 12:15 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
I think the same thing about the Bachelor/Bachelorette show. Why would you do that to yourself?
Fame. I assume they're trying to parlay it into acting, PR, modeling gigs.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:20 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times
Eh I'm not the type to give things like that up so freely. I've not experienced either and I'm not really bothered by it.

If I'm going to kiss someone I want to know them and be certain that I like them and vice verse. I don't think it's abnormal for a person to go without kissing a lot longer than most people. Some folks just haven't come across anyone they want to share those things with.

Last edited by Auraliea; 09-20-2016 at 12:36 PM..

Old 09-20-2016, 12:41 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,308,431 times
What's the big deal? I had my first kiss at 18 years old and it wasn't that special to be honest. There are worst things to worry about than some awkward guy not kissing a woman.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:44 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,338,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Are you kidding me? is this a joke?

Well, there's a reason why he's gone 27 years without kissing a woman.
Female here.

Well, but she was not communicating AT ALL. she was rejecting him right away and was not encouraging at all. She was standing there like a piece of wood.
Her fault, she messed up, not him!

I had the impression that she did not like him, at all, whereas he is more handsome than her.

Was this their very first meeting? And why in a hallway? Whole thing is weird.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:50 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
Eh I'm not the type to give things like that up so freely. I've not experienced either and I'm not really bothered by it.

If I'm going to kiss someone I want to know them and be certain that I like them and vice verse. I don't think it's abnormal for a person to go without kissing a lot longer than most people. Some folks just haven't come across anyone they want to share those things with.
I didn't have my first kiss until I was 23, but I always fantasized about when it would finally happen and what it would be like. I thought it would be so earth shattering because of all those teen romance dramas I watched. I wanted it to be like Joey and Dawson but it didn't live up to that at all. Now, I've kissed lots of people and it still doesn't feel like Joey and Dawson, but some of it was good.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:20 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,444,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post
I think that while there have always been people like this, I think there are a lot more of them now, and I think there is a higher percentage of them in the population than there was in the 80s and 90s.

Technology is a great thing, but it definitely has enabled people to become hermits and avoid true social interaction. In other threads I mentioned the Ted talk wherein the speaker talks about a request from an 18-year-old looking for advice on how to have a real, face-to-face conversation. That's sad.

Funny, but I was just thinking last night how different it all is when considering buying tickets to a concert. I thought back to how people used to camp out overnight on ticket lines, and wondered how many people made friends and met SOs or future spouses that way. Yes, it's nice to have cyber-convenience, but the more cyber-convenience there is, the more opportunities to meet people like that disappear.

The truly sad part is that plenty of people who did grow up in the 80s have lost some social skills because of technology, too. Men who were perfectly capable of picking up a phone and calling a woman to ask for a date now hide behind texting. It's pathetic in every sense of the word.
Wow, that really brings back some memories. I remember when I lived in Seattle from 92-95 and getting in line early to get good seats. One show (Pearl Jam start of Vs. tour) I got there about 9 p.m. the night before and it poured most of the night, but it was worth it, still the best seats I ever had to see them. The internet has definitely made it much more convenient, but I kind of miss the old method. Had a lot of lively debates and discussions and made some great friends.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:44 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Fame. I assume they're trying to parlay it into acting, PR, modeling gigs.
That's my thought, and it's somewhat possible.

I have no idea why this guy would do this, but wasn't there a variation on the bachelor/bachelorette shows called beauty and the geek? Same cringe inducing premise as this but every week. No idea why the geek part of that tandem took part.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:46 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post

The women give the impression that ALL women are that ditzy. The men give the impression that ALL men are in need of good hair, big bucks, a fast car, etc., etc. ARGH
Five minutes of fame.

We're in a selfies and Instagram age. Everyone fancies his/her most normal, boring shuttt Hollywood-worthy. ("ZOMG, me brushing my teeth is TOTALLY guaranteed to go viral!") People imagining they're going to get their big break by kissing badly aren't all that much of a shock.

And no, that doesn't mean I feel society is going down the tubes or anything, LOL. As JaG pointed out, every outgoing generation feels this way about the incoming generation. But "look at average people screwing up because it was obviously scripted that they were bound to screw up" IS getting a hair old, so it may be an outgoing trend. Reality TV is getting more and more boring so it may have already seen its day. It will be replaced by something new for everyone to b*tch about, and so the world turns.

Old 09-20-2016, 02:53 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
That's my thought, and it's somewhat possible.

I have no idea why this guy would do this, but wasn't there a variation on the bachelor/bachelorette shows called beauty and the geek? Same cringe inducing premise as this but every week. No idea why the geek part of that tandem took part.
Because if it were not for very, very deliberately bad pairings, the show would be boring (or...more boring).

I'm sure this guy has kissed before, but is no ladies' man; I'm sure he was asked to fumble around even more than usual; I'm equally certain, as I am sure you must be, that this pairing was deliberate. It couldn't be any more obvious if it were Celebrity Wife Swap. Throw two opposites together, watch hilarity ensue...it's the 2010s version of the 70s "opposites thrown together, just WATCH what zaniness happens next!" motif.

It's The Odd Couple for 2016, plus tongues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships