Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 11:19 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,347,060 times

Advertisements

Heres something that may spark some interest.

Do you have to start off as friends first before you enter a relationship?

Or can it be possible to hit it off already and start dating and beyong boyfriend/girlfriend?

Whats your opinion on this?

Did you start off as friends before you met your partner or did you get all kissy and lovey dovey first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 11:25 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post

That's a resounding, "Yes!" My wife and I were acquaintances then friends for five years before I asked her out for the first time.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:25 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,110,560 times
Not necessarily better but my wife was a friend prior (roommate even before) to our relationship. In fact i was with another woman at the time we first met.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:34 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
Certainly NOT! That implies you can only date people who are already in your "circle of friends". Too many men complain of having been friendzoned...that's because they only date women who don't see them as potential partners. It certainly can work that way and is great when it does, but if that were the case then online dating would never work!

Old 10-09-2016, 11:34 AM

1,544 posts, read 925,393 times
Of course! What good is a relationship without the foundation of friendship?

Old 10-09-2016, 11:43 AM

11,800 posts, read 12,040,540 times
Quote:

Or can it be possible to hit it off already and start dating and beyong boyfriend/girlfriend?

Did you start off as friends before you met your partner or did you get all kissy and lovey dovey first?
Kissy and lovey dovey? Oh my.

No, you don't need to be friends first and I think for the majority, they aren't friends first. Friendship and romance can grow at the same time, they don't need to happen one before the other. Being friends first never guarantees that romance will develop from it.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:48 AM

19,723 posts, read 20,259,734 times
In some cases yes, but not always. . . I certainly don't pull guys out of my "friendzone" to date, , , , but when getting to know a new man that I am attracted to, developing some sort of foundation of friendship is highly important to me. So even if things don't necessary work out, @ least I've made a new friend/connection.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:53 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,338,599 times
Quote:

To build a friendship, a rather long and strong one, first, and then turn it into a relationship, makes it necessary to be in a setting where 2 people meet each other constantly, like being job colleagues, or go to the same school or college, enabling them to see each other often, even daily, where the focus of being together is not on going into a relationship itself, right from the get go, like when people meet on an online-dating site.

If people meet on an onine-dating site the end goal is getting intimate, everybody knows this and wants this.
How long it takes for the individual to get there is very individual and depends on so many things

So, I would say both options are possible, it all depends on the people in question, and what their expectations and aspirations are.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:53 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Mr. CSD and I were friends for 5 years before we became we so I am obviously biased but I believe being friends for a few years first helps build a more solid foundation for a relationship.

Old 10-09-2016, 11:54 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,236,969 times
Friends like being buddies, punching each other in the shoulder, burping and farting with reckless abandon? No.

Friends like hanging out platonically but secretly want to bang each other ? Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships