Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 08:16 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,763,328 times

Advertisements

Is there any realistic or practical way, venue, etc. for a guy to be able to look for love on a 1-on-1 or small-group basis, without having to resort to online dating? Every single experience I have ever had in large groups looking for romance has been traumatically unsuccessful, and as an introverted person who is also shy, I have never felt comfortable in large groups. At the same time, in the absence of online dating, I don't know of any other real methods to be able to meet women on a (preferred) one-to-one basis, or alternatively, a small-group setting. I tried online dating hoping it could assist me with this, but it only resulted in disaster, literally thousands of dollars wasted on almost exclusively first-date only events, and heartbreak. I even tried hiring a dating coach and it didn't work out either. I also tried expensive brick-and-mortar dating services that were not online, and ended up with nothing but thousands of dollars out of pocket there as well. Any thoughts/ideas please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 08:21 PM

466 posts, read 314,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarPaladin View Post
Is there any realistic or practical way, venue, etc. for a guy to be able to look for love on a 1-on-1 or small-group basis, without having to resort to online dating? Every single experience I have ever had in large groups looking for romance has been traumatically unsuccessful, and as an introverted person who is also shy, I have never felt comfortable in large groups. At the same time, in the absence of online dating, I don't know of any other real methods to be able to meet women on a (preferred) one-to-one basis, or alternatively, a small-group setting. I tried online dating hoping it could assist me with this, but it only resulted in disaster, literally thousands of dollars wasted on almost exclusively first-date only events, and heartbreak. I even tried hiring a dating coach and it didn't work out either. I also tried expensive brick-and-mortar dating services that were not online, and ended up with nothing but thousands of dollars out of pocket there as well. Any thoughts/ideas please?
Damn bro I feel you and it's being lonely that is also hurting you from what it sounds. I would reccomend not spending money and work on yourself because as I have been told it's not that hard especially when you have fundimental values.

Old 11-14-2016, 02:49 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,909,751 times
Quote:
What do you mean by large groups?

Old 11-14-2016, 03:05 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,894,421 times
Speed dating? I know it sounds like a joke, but speed dating is a small group setting, and you get to meet women one on one.

I've done it twice. I actually enjoyed the event itself. You get 6 minutes to talk with every person, then decide if you are interested in seeing them again. You indicate at the webpage anyone you want to see again, and if they want to see you, you get a message back.

I've gotten a few dates out of it with very nice people. Haven't met Mr. Right, but that's okay.

Just Google Speed Date (name of your city).

Old 11-14-2016, 05:17 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,459,619 times
So you've spent money on dating coaches? What do they tell you? What's going on?

Old 11-14-2016, 05:56 PM

472 posts, read 438,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Speed dating? I know it sounds like a joke, but speed dating is a small group setting, and you get to meet women one on one.

I've done it twice. I actually enjoyed the event itself. You get 6 minutes to talk with every person, then decide if you are interested in seeing them again. You indicate at the webpage anyone you want to see again, and if they want to see you, you get a message back.

I've gotten a few dates out of it with very nice people. Haven't met Mr. Right, but that's okay.

Just Google Speed Date (name of your city).
I went to my first Speed Dating event on Election Night. It was fun and while I didn't meet anyone that it seems will develop into a relationship, I was encourage enough to try it again. I think I learned a few do's and don't through the experience so hopefully I am more successful next time.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
What do you mean by large groups?
Large groups, meaning maybe I guess anything more than say 5-10 people max? I just feel more comfortable in these kinds of settings, vs. say a place there was 30-50+ people present, or something similar.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
So you've spent money on dating coaches? What do they tell you? What's going on?
Long story short, it was ultimately a complete waste of money, b/c the dating coach did not deliver on the services they had offered. They offered to provide advice, feedback, etc. on specific local dates once a woman agreed to go out with me, before and after the date, to try to increase the odds or the chances of a second date. Also offered to help me locate compatible women on online dating sites, that kind of thing, and providing suggestions to help me improve my overall technique. The most they actually provided as a service was the dating advice component only, and they did not render the other offered services, despite me reminding them multiple times that they had in fact said they would do so. It didn't work out in the end, at the cost of several thousand dollars of my money lost.

Old 11-14-2016, 08:01 PM

472 posts, read 438,691 times
Quote:
Long story short, it was ultimately a complete waste of money, b/c the dating coach did not deliver on the services they had offered. They offered to provide advice, feedback, etc. on specific local dates once a woman agreed to go out with me, before and after the date, to try to increase the odds or the chances of a second date. Also offered to help me locate compatible women on online dating sites, that kind of thing, and providing suggestions to help me improve my overall technique. The most they actually provided as a service was the dating advice component only, and they did not render the other offered services, despite me reminding them multiple times that they had in fact said they would do so. It didn't work out in the end, at the cost of several thousand dollars of my money lost.
How much would you say you've spent in your quest for a meaningful relationship? I only ask because you've mentioned spending thousands, which made me curious. Do you think all of what you've spent has been a waste or do you feel like you got something out of some of it?

Old 11-14-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
How much would you say you've spent in your quest for a meaningful relationship? I only ask because you've mentioned spending thousands, which made me curious. Do you think all of what you've spent has been a waste or do you feel like you got something out of some of it?
To be 100% honest, what I really wanted was a long-term relationship with the potential for more, with a lady who had a kind heart, someone to grow old with, and to have the blessing of that one truly special person in your life. By that measurement, I can only conclude that have failed miserably, alas Thousands and/or up to tens of thousands of dollars over about the past 10 years, and only a lot of first dates, maybe 2 or so second dates, and no third dates ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships