Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 12:53 PM

22 posts, read 27,541 times

Advertisements

Hi, there!
I've been in this relationship for a year and a half and my boyfriend has many close female friends that have been in his life for like 15, 16 years (he is 37, I am 30). I never challenged these relationships and always let him spend as much time as he wanted texting them, confiding and so on, I never cared, I never even checked on his phone, even though I got really annoyed by the silent time we spent together side by side, he texting his friends and me trying to get some attention (modern days).
One of these friends is an attractive woman every man looks at as she goes by and she lives in another city; I know how gorgeous she is and my boyfriend once commented that, too (you know she is a beautiful woman, he told me). Lucky her (maybe).
In late July we flew to her city and I had the chance to meet her. Ok. Nice person, we got along.
I noticed how lovingly he glanced at her, but I didn't care, maybe it was on my mind, after all they have been friends for more than a decade.
I could also realize the much he despised her then-boyfriend, staring evil at him and saying on his back he was bad to her.
Two weeks ago they broke up and I invited her to come visit us and stay at my house if she wanted, after all I liked her. Two days after my offer - breaking news:
My boyfriend told me he offered to pay her the plane tickets and told me the fare was around $300 for a last minute trip in the continental country where we live.
She is not in need for money and that was totally unnecessary. She already had my apartment all for her own and she has like, a job, so really, man? She pays her bills as much as I do.
He taking the care to buy her the tickets bruised my feelings because he never gave me any gift more valuable than a scarf (I mean it!) and we had just come back from an Eurotrip that had cost me a lot (and we split the costs even, as it seems fair). All that said (and he never paid me any romantic dinner), I came to consider how worthy I may be on his eyes. Ok we live in the 21st century, men and women earn their livings but why does a man think a female friend more worthy an expensive consideration than his girlfriend?
Ok, call me jealous, call me mean, call me less atractive, but is there any way I could address this different treatment between me (the alleged girlfriend and future spouse) and the innocent friend without losing my dignity? If so, please tell me how.
By the way, the female friend noticed the awkward situation and gave up coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 01:02 PM

22,581 posts, read 47,649,975 times
What did he say when you said all that to him?

Old 11-18-2016, 01:22 PM

22 posts, read 27,541 times
[quote=Pitt Chick;46239121]What did he say when you said all that to him?[/QUOTE
He said that he did so because she was a friend from many years and that he had also paid her ticket three years ago when she had broken up with another dude and decided to come to the city. She was important and I shouldn't try to get in between. His ex was also jealous of his friends. The answer didn't make much sense to me. You paid once you always pay? Worse.

Old 11-18-2016, 01:29 PM

22,581 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliviaWolf View Post
He said that he did so because she was a friend from many years and that he had also paid her ticket three years ago when she had broken up with another dude and decided to come to the city. She was important and I shouldn't try to get in between. His ex was also jealous of his friends. The answer didn't make much sense to me. You paid once you always pay? Worse.
Then there you go! You know where she stands with him.
Can you deal with that or not?

At age 37, he is not going to change. She will always be in his life; she is important to him.
So you have to decide if this is a deal-breaker or not!

Old 11-18-2016, 01:35 PM

187 posts, read 212,260 times
I would tell him exactly how it makes you feel. Set some boundaries, no ultimatums.

But, if you two can't agree on boundaries or he continues to disregard your feelings, get out.

It's amazing to me how often these "friends" screw up good relationships and people defend them so vehemently.

Old 11-18-2016, 01:40 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,905,442 times
What about your male friends? Is he OK with you having the same types of relationships with them?

Old 11-18-2016, 01:44 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,026,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliviaWolf View Post
Hi, there!
I've been in this relationship for a year and a half and my boyfriend has many close female friends that have been in his life for like 15, 16 years (he is 37, I am 30). I never challenged these relationships and always let him spend as much time as he wanted texting them, confiding and so on, I never cared, I never even checked on his phone, even though I got really annoyed by the silent time we spent together side by side, he texting his friends and me trying to get some attention (modern days).
One of these friends is an attractive woman every man looks at as she goes by and she lives in another city; I know how gorgeous she is and my boyfriend once commented that, too (you know she is a beautiful woman, he told me). Lucky her (maybe).
In late July we flew to her city and I had the chance to meet her. Ok. Nice person, we got along.
I noticed how lovingly he glanced at her, but I didn't care, maybe it was on my mind, after all they have been friends for more than a decade.
I could also realize the much he despised her then-boyfriend, staring evil at him and saying on his back he was bad to her.
Two weeks ago they broke up and I invited her to come visit us and stay at my house if she wanted, after all I liked her. Two days after my offer - breaking news:
My boyfriend told me he offered to pay her the plane tickets and told me the fare was around $300 for a last minute trip in the continental country where we live.
She is not in need for money and that was totally unnecessary. She already had my apartment all for her own and she has like, a job, so really, man? She pays her bills as much as I do.
He taking the care to buy her the tickets bruised my feelings because he never gave me any gift more valuable than a scarf (I mean it!) and we had just come back from an Eurotrip that had cost me a lot (and we split the costs even, as it seems fair). All that said (and he never paid me any romantic dinner), I came to consider how worthy I may be on his eyes. Ok we live in the 21st century, men and women earn their livings but why does a man think a female friend more worthy an expensive consideration than his girlfriend?
Ok, call me jealous, call me mean, call me less atractive, but is there any way I could address this different treatment between me (the alleged girlfriend and future spouse) and the innocent friend without losing my dignity? If so, please tell me how.
By the way, the female friend noticed the awkward situation and gave up coming.
You cannot address it with dignity because something is wrong here. You just need to address it and I can almost guarantee you, he won't respond with dignity. Just as he has already making that false accusation you are getting in between them. Them? They are a couple now? Why isn't it the three of you? those words explain it all. He views himself and her as a couple, and there is no room for you. He wants free reign to act and do as he pleases with her, when you are really his girlfriend. Weird

It's good to have relationships but he is enmeshed with this lady, something he needs to be with you. What naturally happens is those friends on both sides either are compatible and equal friends of hte both of you, or they slowly start to fade out of the picture.

Let him be. It's not worth your time. He knows you, he obviously isn't that into you and you know it. So sorry to say this but I think you could find someone else who cares more about you. Good luck

Old 11-18-2016, 01:46 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,323,616 times
Sounds like he has a crush on her but he got put in the friend zone a long time ago.

He in so many words told you you're less important so your dignity is already compromised.

It's up to you if he is worth putting aside your hurt feelings of not being the #1 person in his life that you deserve.

Old 11-18-2016, 01:57 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,338,756 times
I don't know about that. I'm not ready to judge him without his side of things. He may be into her, you might be overreacting. I also have female friends that I would do quite a bit for. And especially with friends in the decade plus zone, you'd bet your ass they'd get precedence. People that have been friends that long have been through a lot together, and know stuff about each other they wouldn't repeat to another soul.

That's just my opinion. I'm not sure why people are immediately thinking the worst of this guy.

Old 11-18-2016, 02:16 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,189,703 times
I have to agree with Pitt Chick.

Part of compatibility is priorities. Some have different priorities. Where whoever has been in their life longer is more important. So some consider decade-long friends more important than any romantic partner would be, and the friends will always take precedence, because they came first. And that's fine if both parties agree on that, thus nobody is offended or expects differently.

Then you have some who feel their parents will always come before anyone. Like a woman dating a guy and he always chooses his mother over her. Always tries to look out for and accommodate his mother before his girlfriend or even wife. And some girls who do the same with a boyfriend / husband vs. father.

Then, you'll have people who do feel that a romantic partner that you have been with for a while moves to the front of the line, and should be more important and have the more intimate relationship. Someone that you share your bodies with, and may even start a family with makes it more intimate and personal than platonic friends. Unless the 2 friends used to be involved sexually or romantically.

So you have to decide if you're ok with your boyfriend caring more about his friend than you. Because it's possible he does love her more than you, and will continue to do so.

If you are fine with that, and any other people he may love more than you, then stick with him.

If you believe a partner should come first on the priority list -after being together for a while, then you're simply not with the right man.

Last edited by HappyRain; 11-18-2016 at 02:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships