Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 02:43 PM

1,702 posts, read 2,328,589 times

Advertisements

You said you broke up with him in your last thread

Maybe my boyfriend loves his female friends more than he loves me

Like it has already been said, he doesn't respect or value you enough to feel the need to treat or spoil you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 02:46 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,342,297 times
You picked a dud.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:43 PM

35 posts, read 44,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliviaWolf View Post
Hello, I am speaking in the 21st century. Both men and women can earn their living, however when it comes to first dates and relationships some men offer to pay the check and others never do. Does it have to do with how interesting the woman is or is it just something with the guy?
I ask that from the bottom of my self esteem because I have been with this boyfriend for more than a year and we always (even in the first date) split the check evenly. He never paid me a romantic dinner (not even on our first anniversary), never gave me any expensive gift and he earns twice as I do.
To give him a hint that it seemed awkward to me, I paid him expensive dinners some times, but he never thought of that as a clue, never paid back and so things went on. I got used and even liked that we had a financially fair relationship.
However, some weeks ago he told me a female friend would come visit us in the city. I offered my apartment for her to stay and he surprised me saying he had offered to pay her the $ 300 plane ticket. He said she "needed" because she, poor girl, had broken up with her thousandth boyfriend in a year.
That got me thinking that he is available to pay things for women other than me, and that made me feel like crap. I even sold my car to pay my 50% part in an expensive trip he had booked for us. He knew the trip would be heavy on my budget but never offered to help and even stimulated me to sell the car (now I am on foot).
As I made it clear, I always paid my part and don't regret it, but I felt sad when I saw him available to pay treats to other ladies. This particular woman doesn't need any money. She has an ok job and is a grown-up past the stage of killing herself over some teenage love.
I made him talk about it (he paying the ticket to someone who didn't need it). He said the female friend had also helped him in the past, that I was mischievous to think evil of him and that it was all on me, the jealous insecure girlfriend.
What do you think?
What makes a man pay things for some women and not for others?
End of story: the woman gave up coming visit us after alleging "there were only couples [me] in the city" (I took this conversation to him only after she gave up coming).
Holy sheet. I would never date a guy who didn't pay for the first date. I would pay if I had extended the invitation, but THAT would never happen. I would pay for other things later on, but NOT in the beginning.

It sounds like you've put a lot of energy into this relationship, but it may be time to cut your losses. I haven't read through all the posts and I don't know what other people have said, but I would dump that chump. I don't know if you've given more info in various posts that would make me change my mind. I'll go read through this thread, but I have a feeling this jerk is using you for sex and home cooked meals, and you can find someone a LOT better once you trash his ash. I would rather be alone than be with someone who doesn't give back.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:13 AM

19,758 posts, read 20,326,642 times
A gentleman always pays.. for at least ONE romantic dinner in an entire year's worth of dating, for cryin' out loud - jeez!

Old 11-30-2016, 11:18 AM

48,581 posts, read 35,002,436 times
You get what you tolerate.

If you don't leave, you will get more of the same.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-30-2016, 11:22 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,106,055 times
They do this for the same reason they will treat one woman like a booty call and want to marry the next. This guy is not that into you. Probably waiting until someone he really likes to come along.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:25 AM

20,771 posts, read 20,032,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliviaWolf View Post
Hello, I am speaking in the 21st century. Both men and women can earn their living, however when it comes to first dates and relationships some men offer to pay the check and others never do. Does it have to do with how interesting the woman is or is it just something with the guy?
I ask that from the bottom of my self esteem because I have been with this boyfriend for more than a year and we always (even in the first date) split the check evenly. He never paid me a romantic dinner (not even on our first anniversary), never gave me any expensive gift and he earns twice as I do.
To give him a hint that it seemed awkward to me, I paid him expensive dinners some times, but he never thought of that as a clue, never paid back and so things went on. I got used and even liked that we had a financially fair relationship.
However, some weeks ago he told me a female friend would come visit us in the city. I offered my apartment for her to stay and he surprised me saying he had offered to pay her the $ 300 plane ticket. He said she "needed" because she, poor girl, had broken up with her thousandth boyfriend in a year.
That got me thinking that he is available to pay things for women other than me, and that made me feel like crap. I even sold my car to pay my 50% part in an expensive trip he had booked for us. He knew the trip would be heavy on my budget but never offered to help and even stimulated me to sell the car (now I am on foot).
As I made it clear, I always paid my part and don't regret it, but I felt sad when I saw him available to pay treats to other ladies. This particular woman doesn't need any money. She has an ok job and is a grown-up past the stage of killing herself over some teenage love.
I made him talk about it (he paying the ticket to someone who didn't need it). He said the female friend had also helped him in the past, that I was mischievous to think evil of him and that it was all on me, the jealous insecure girlfriend.
What do you think?
What makes a man pay things for some women and not for others?
End of story: the woman gave up coming visit us after alleging "there were only couples [me] in the city" (I took this conversation to him only after she gave up coming).
I think it is time to cut him lose.

If I remember correctly, you had another thread about this and it seemed like him and the other girl are just friends but he has a secret crush on her. He pretty much would drop everything and everybody if she would make a move on him.

You are plan B on his life plan. Plan B doesn't deserve as much as plan A (her) and therefore you are not worth spending money on.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:35 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,557,967 times
OP I pretty much ALWAYS pay for dates/nights out/cabs etc and especially in the early stages with ANY lady I'm seeing. ( and even with the boys I'm not exactly shy in putting my hand in my pocket )

Yes I've been brought up to be that way which I rather enjoy and certainly wouldn't change for the world, Personally I don't see a problem with being fun, doing something nice for someone else and most definitely to make it a great night out for the both of us

To answer the thread title....... If a bloke does that then I'd assume it's dependant on how much he fancies the lady in question or down to how flush his finances are at the time.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:36 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,069,204 times
There isn't really any way to turn this around and "make" him respect you or anything, especially since so much time has gone by and his vision of you as unworthy (what a jerk) is firmly entrenched now. It just won't change no matter what you do or say. He will never forget that you allowed this for so long, ergo that you yourself were saying, without words, that you weren't worthwhile.

You need to just cut this one loose, I'm sorry. There is someone out there who will be absolutely crazy about you, and he won't treat you like this.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:49 AM

19,758 posts, read 20,326,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
There isn't really any way to turn this around and "make" him respect you or anything, especially since so much time has gone by and his vision of you as unworthy (what a jerk) is firmly entrenched now. It just won't change no matter what you do or say He will never forget that you allowed this for so long, ergo that you yourself were saying, without words, that you weren't worthwhile.

You need to just cut this one loose, I'm sorry. There is someone out there who will be absolutely crazy about you, and he won't treat you like this.
^Totally agree, there is NO way to turn this around..

- Forging relationships are like pouring wet cement. All the crucial stuff has to be worked out early before all those weirdo behaviors you let slide get so set in stone that you need a freakin' jackhammer to break out lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships