Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 02:25 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,153,735 times

Advertisements

So, time and again, we've heard about how horribly racist this new law in Arizona is. Asking people to provide "papers" to prove they're legal. If you listen to enough of the protestors, you'd think there would be a run on 3-ring binders, the paperwork is so extensive. Yes, that darn driver's license or green card or work visa is just SO cumbersome! I can actually FEEL it in my sock and it takes up so much space in my wallet! We just had our house painted and three of the painters came immediately up to my husband to show them their 3x5 cards saying they were allowed to work. My husband was sort of taken aback that they thought he was some sort of ICE agent, but the point was that they had those papers ON them.

So, if these papers are so horribly inconvenient to carry around and having to show proof of them is so "racist", then I'd like to know people's thoughts on THESE papers:

Senator Harry Reid and a handful of other senators just crafted a supposed bi-partisan bill that will address immigration reform. Among the 26 page bill are certain things like border agent increases and high-tech devises along the border...but also...wait for it...a "fraud-resistant, tamper-resistant biometric Social Security card". SAY IT ISN'T SO!!! Yet another thing to put in my wallet. That thing better be able to hook on a key-chain like my Albertson's card or I'm going to be angry!

Senate Democrats to push new immigration reform plan - CNN.com

The new health bill that was just passed is going to allow IRS agents to verify you've got health insurance or you will be fined. Yet another paper...that darn cumbersome insurance card. AND we're going to have to mail a copy in with our tax records. This is getting ridiculous!

Health bills could expand IRS role - USATODAY.com

And, now, for the greatest insult of all...the law that requires anyone who is not a citizen to carry papers with them at all times anyway. That's been the law since 1940...I'm no math genius, but I think that's at least 70 years before this horrible Arizona law was signed. Not to mention having to have my driver's license, insurance and current registration just to get behind the wheel of a car.

When will it end? Tell me!!! BTW, have you ever applied for a mortgage, enrolled your kid in school, gone to a doctor's office for the first time, taken your dog to the vet and gotten their tags, signed up for a cell phone plan, have a membership card to Best Buy? The list goes on. There's paperwork for everything and asking someone to carry proof they're here legally that is the same size as my Best Buy card is not something to scream "racism" over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 02:50 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,508,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post

And, now, for the greatest insult of all...the law that requires anyone who is not a citizen to carry papers with them at all times anyway. That's been the law since 1940...I'm no math genius, but I think that's at least 70 years before this horrible Arizona law was signed.
Shhhhhh. The libs don't want you to know that the Arizona is nothing more than a duplicate of federal law. It aint Arizona's fault if the feds decline to enforce their own "racist" law sigend when Democrats were in charge.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Shhhhhh. The libs don't want you to know that the Arizona is nothing more than a duplicate of federal law. It aint Arizona's fault if the feds decline to enforce their own "racist" law sigend when Democrats were in charge.
What's funny is that we now get another federal agency who will be in charge of these so-called tamper resistant social security cards. They'll have to have a whole new hiring of bureaucrats to oversee the distribution and fingerprinting, not to mention giving the contract over to one of the organizations that contributed to their campaign.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:11 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,508,466 times
Quote:
What's funny is that we now get another federal agency who will be in charge of these so-called tamper resistant social security cards. They'll have to have a whole new hiring of bureaucrats to oversee the distribution and fingerprinting, not to mention giving the contract over to one of the organizations that contributed to their campaign.
This reminds me of the Real ID card the Bush Adminstration passed a few years requiring everyone to have a national ID card to help fight terrorism. 35 states said ********* we aint doing it and it has never been implemented even though it is technically the law. I hope the same thing happens if this thing passes.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:14 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Thank you for that. I had thought that was the case, and I mentioned it in another thread on AZ law.

All of the libs are misrepresenting this law (including Obama) who said it was "misguided" or something like that. Is the Federal Law "misguided" too?

I absolutely hate these libs!

Old 05-01-2010, 03:15 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,838 times
If I were traveling in a foreign country, I wouldn't be the least insulted if I were asked by the local authorities to show my passport. And if I moved there, I certainly would expect to produce appropriate paperwork if the local authorities noticed I didn't look like the natives. So why the big fuss, when we have a huge problem with immigration that is bankrupting states, to do the same here?

Old 05-01-2010, 03:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
You do not have to carry "papers" with you at all times as a citizen. If you are driving a car, you have to carry your driver's license, the car registration, and in some states, proof of insurance. You do not have to have your social security card on your person at all times, in fact, I have read that it is recommended that you don't carry it in your wallet, purse, etc. You do not have to show your health insurance card unless you are obtaining health care, and it is not any type of "ID" card anyway. Even under the new health care law, people will continue to carry private insurance, with every company having a different card. Personal credit cards have nothing to do with citizenship. I've used my credit card in Canada and my ATM card in Europe. I don't understand what you're getting at with a mortgage application; I don't remember having to produce any ID saying I was in the US legally to buy my house.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 05-01-2010 at 03:31 PM..

Old 05-01-2010, 03:27 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,025,220 times
Quote:
So, time and again, we've heard about how horribly racist this new law in Arizona is. Asking people to provide "papers" to prove they're legal. If you listen to enough of the protestors, you'd think there would be a run on 3-ring binders, the paperwork is so extensive. Yes, that darn driver's license or green card or work visa is just SO cumbersome! I can actually FEEL it in my sock and it takes up so much space in my wallet! We just had our house painted and three of the painters came immediately up to my husband to show them their 3x5 cards saying they were allowed to work. My husband was sort of taken aback that they thought he was some sort of ICE agent, but the point was that they had those papers ON them.

So, if these papers are so horribly inconvenient to carry around and having to show proof of them is so "racist", then I'd like to know people's thoughts on THESE papers:

Senator Harry Reid and a handful of other senators just crafted a supposed bi-partisan bill that will address immigration reform. Among the 26 page bill are certain things like border agent increases and high-tech devises along the border...but also...wait for it...a "fraud-resistant, tamper-resistant biometric Social Security card". SAY IT ISN'T SO!!! Yet another thing to put in my wallet. That thing better be able to hook on a key-chain like my Albertson's card or I'm going to be angry!

Senate Democrats to push new immigration reform plan - CNN.com

The new health bill that was just passed is going to allow IRS agents to verify you've got health insurance or you will be fined. Yet another paper...that darn cumbersome insurance card. AND we're going to have to mail a copy in with our tax records. This is getting ridiculous!

Health bills could expand IRS role - USATODAY.com

And, now, for the greatest insult of all...the law that requires anyone who is not a citizen to carry papers with them at all times anyway. That's been the law since 1940...I'm no math genius, but I think that's at least 70 years before this horrible Arizona law was signed. Not to mention having to have my driver's license, insurance and current registration just to get behind the wheel of a car.

When will it end? Tell me!!! BTW, have you ever applied for a mortgage, enrolled your kid in school, gone to a doctor's office for the first time, taken your dog to the vet and gotten their tags, signed up for a cell phone plan, have a membership card to Best Buy? The list goes on. There's paperwork for everything and asking someone to carry proof they're here legally that is the same size as my Best Buy card is not something to scream "racism" over.
Really great points! Very astute of you. Would have repped you but need to spread it around!

Old 05-01-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Thank you for that. I had thought that was the case, and I mentioned it in another thread on AZ law.

All of the libs are misrepresenting this law (including Obama) who said it was "misguided" or something like that. Is the Federal Law "misguided" too?

I absolutely hate these libs!
In fairness, while I disagree with this idea (SS cards), the Republicans didn't do crap about this issue either. Most Arizonans are as annoyed with GWB as they are with Obama.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You do not have to carry "papers" with you at all times as a citizen. If you are driving a car, you have to carry your driver's license, the car registration, and in some states, proof of insurance. You do not have to have your social security card on your person at all times, in fact, I have read that it is recommended that you don't carry it in your wallet, purse, etc. You do not have to show your health insurance card unless you are obtaining health care, and it is not any type of "ID" card anyway. Even under the new health care law, people will continue to carry private insurance, with every company having a different card. Personal credit cards have nothing to do with citizenship. I've used my credit card in Canada and my ATM card in Europe. I don't understand what you're getting at with a mortgage application; I don't remember having to produce any ID saying I was in the US legally to buy my house.
My point is that when people against this law decry having to "lug papers around", it makes no sense since everything, from driver's licenses, social security cards, health insurance cards, green cards, my Best Buy card, credit cards etc all fit in the same place. It's not a 3-ring binder full of paperwork if you're here legally and even if you are from a foreign country, a passport isn't that cumbersome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration