Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 04:32 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,201,438 times

Advertisements

I am surprised you married him as you don't really have anything positive to say about him. Did this all evolve since you two got together? How would he describe you? What attracted you to him in the beginning?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 10:40 AM

19,717 posts, read 20,250,128 times
The best way to figure out if you married a narcissist is to take a good look @ yourself.

If you are any type of empath, sensitive, people-pleaser or doormat, if you put your needs 2nd. . . Then yes- you are a narcissist's wet dream..

Old 12-03-2016, 11:36 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo775 View Post
He treated his ex wife the same way. He always tells me he loves me but who knows.
We do know: and we are telling you clearly. What he says is irrelevant. What he does, or does not do for you shows how much he loves you. Not. at. all. He isn't capable.

Old 12-03-2016, 11:53 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times
Definitely a case of actions speaking louder than words.

I recommend you do some deep self reflecting. Figure out how in the world you ended up with someone like this and why you're still with him.

It's not so much about him, IMO. I'm sensing some big time self esteem issues on your part. You don't have to deal with this if you don't like it.

Old 12-03-2016, 12:01 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
No he has never hit me. He is too passive to do that. He's broken things before though. I want to do things for him and he never lets me. He doesn't even want any physical contact besides coming over the hug or kiss me sometimes but it only last a minute. He just doesn't seem to care about me. He isn't really controlling because I can do what ever I want and he doesn't care. Never seems to worry about me.
Why haven't you answered the questions about what he was like before you married? Was there any hint of this during the dating process? Any red flags you may have ignored?

Old 12-03-2016, 12:13 PM

12,774 posts, read 14,987,827 times
Sure, there's red flags most of the time because I've personally never believed someone so bad changes "overnight" from once a nice person to an a-hole. But when a relationship is just starting, people are so smitten with new love & the romance of it all, they rarely see the red flags & actually adhere to them & listen to their head rather than their heart. Not their mother, father, best friend, etc. can tell them otherwise in which they will get out of it. The person in the relationship with these bad people don't want to listen.

Last edited by Forever Blue; 12-03-2016 at 12:23 PM..

Old 12-03-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Sure, there's red flags most of the time because I've personally never believed someone so bad changes "overnight" from once a nice person to an a-hole. But when a relationship is just starting, people are so smitten with new love & the romance of it all, they rarely see the red flags & actually adhere to them & listen to their head rather than their heart. Not their mother, father, best friend, etc. can tell them otherwise in which they will get out of it. The person in the relationship with these bad people don't want to listen.
That's what long engagements are for. It's hard to fake a pleasing personality through a year-long engagement or longer. And it's hard to ignore red flags that long, too.

Old 12-03-2016, 01:32 PM

12,774 posts, read 14,987,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's what long engagements are for. It's hard to fake a pleasing personality through a year-long engagement or longer. And it's hard to ignore red flags that long, too.
Yes, so true! My SO's parents were high school sweethearts who got married when he got her pregnant at 18. But the father is a worthless b@$t@rd. (If you search my threads, I wrote about him & the family in a thread or two.) I have no doubts there were red flags with his parents' relationship, but the mother was just so stupid, spineless, & docile, that she stayed in the marriage for 24 yrs too long (the length of time they were married). My SO can't stand his own dad.

Old 12-03-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Yes, so true! My SO's parents were high school sweethearts who got married when he got her pregnant at 18. But the father is a worthless b@$t@rd. (If you search my threads, I wrote about him & the family in a thread or two.) I have no doubts there were red flags with his parents' relationship, but the mother was just so stupid, spineless, & docile, that she stayed in the marriage for 24 yrs too long (the length of time they were married). My SO can't stand his own dad.
A great argument for not getting married at 18. And not getting pregnant as a teen, obviously.

Old 12-03-2016, 01:48 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
Quote:
He treated his ex wife the same way. He always tells me he loves me but who knows.
Key word...... EX!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships