Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 10:37 AM

1,830 posts, read 2,152,775 times

Advertisements

Does anyone do this? I've got all sorts of pictures and videos and just various items that I've kept from various past lovers that I like to look at and reminisce every now and then. I guess it's kind of like a trophy case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 10:40 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Does anyone do this? I've got all sorts of pictures and videos and just various items that I've kept from various past lovers that I like to look at and reminisce every now and then. I guess it's kind of like a trophy case.
Define "various items"?

I keep pics, don't have any videos. I keep useful items and no teddy bears and other in the way stuff.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:40 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,016,432 times
Yup. I am big on photos, and will *not* get rid of them, under any circumstance. I will tuck them away perhaps, but, no, I won't dispose of them.

I also have certain things that were given to me by people who were important in my past.

I don't consider it a "trophy case"- for me, it's more of the recognition that I do, in fact, have 43 years of history behind me.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:41 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times
I had a former girlfriend who reached out to me on Facebook after, get this, 33 years. And she STILL had some of my stuff. She had kept it through two marriages and a house fire. Part of me was flattered and part of me was a little creeped out.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Define "various items"?

I keep pics, don't have any videos. I keep useful items and no teddy bears and other in the way stuff.

It could be anything really. Anything that can bring back a memory. Like a pair of undies. A shirt. Maybe something they gave you for Christmas. A sexual video you made together. Sexual pictures they sent you via text. Anything that recalls certain memories.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I had a former girlfriend who reached out to me on Facebook after, get this, 33 years. And she STILL had some of my stuff. She had kept it through two marriages and a house fire. Part of me was flattered and part of me was a little creeped out.

Wow. 33 years. That's amazing. That means she still cherishes whatever memories you had together. I know that in my case. Whenever I look at something from a past lover. The memories just come flooding back and I remember the origins of that item. It's good to look back sometimes. I'm sure I'll still have these things 33 years from now. Maybe I'll be able to add more along the way.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:56 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Quote:
It could be anything really. Anything that can bring back a memory. Like a pair of undies. A shirt. Maybe something they gave you for Christmas. A sexual video you made together. Sexual pictures they sent you via text. Anything that recalls certain memories.
I would not keep personal stuff like underwear I cannot use. Shirt only if I wear it.

Sex video I cannot say anything about that since I would never voluntarily make one. I wouldn't wanna break up with a person and wonder where that tape is.

I just recently deleted some dck pics of my computer from a FWB from 3 years ago. I find it the ethical thing to do. I keep regular pics of exes though and I would delete pics of him on social media if there were any. Out of consideration for new partners on either side.

I kept the Ipod I got from my ex. I put a sticker over the engraved part.

Old 12-01-2016, 11:30 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,729,878 times
Default ...

Quote:
I have some things ex jewelery, a stuffed animal and some small gifts. I use to have a bunch of cards and photos, but I think my husband found them and tossed them lol. I had a photo album and in it there were a couple pictures with us together in them and one day I was looking at the book and all the photos with him in them were missing. I was mad because I was also in them and actually liked the way I looked in the pictures. He was given a talk about respecting other people's property. Then I hide the rest of the really juicy stuff ... but I could never find it again so there is a 50-50 chance he found it and tossed it too. He claims to know nothing about this though .

I can understand why he would not want it around. If I where him I was in his shoes I would probably be jealous too. I think his response was well you are married to me so no one else before should matter, which is actually true.

I don't know if anyone else can speak to this.. but once I got married none of my male freinds would talk to me to anymore. I actually think it was more of a respect thing ex watch your conduct with another man's wife. There is one guy in particular which I was almost best freinds with for a while, but once he found out I was getting married not a call or e-mail or a response to a hi how are you type e-mail. I have some cards he gave me too .

Old 12-01-2016, 11:39 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
After my childrens' mother and I divorced, compliments of her leaving me for someone else, I kept a few family pictures to place in a bedroom I furnished for visits from the minor children because they were something familiar to them. However, when I remarried I gave all those pictures to the children keeping only pictures of them.

If I wanted souvenirs, which I didn't, I could always call upon my memories which, but for the children, I choose not to.

Old 12-01-2016, 11:41 AM

19,723 posts, read 20,259,734 times
Yes, but it mostly depends what it is and who it is from.

There's been very, very few men I'm actually sentimental about in regard to "things".. but yes, there are things I've kept and cannot bear to part with.. (pictures, letters, cards jewelry, articles of his clothing ..etc. ) He told me he saved everything I've ever written him- even sent me pics of love letters and drawings I gave him.... . . .long, long ago.

I have kept things from other guys I don't give af about anymore that are still useful, but I have no emotional attachment to. ~ Like a cozy blanket, books, cds, a hookah pipe, an ipod, a pair of really nice headphones- you know, just general "stuff" like that.. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships