Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 04:51 PM

6 posts, read 9,401 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm sorry to post this on the website area for marriage but just wanted some advice.

My wife is bipolar and also suffers from intense depression. This is killing our relationship and I want to move on.

Currently we live in PA but I am considering moving to my brother's house in Maryland so I can save on rent. I am also fearful that she will come after me in some way if I tell her I'm leaving or that she won't leave our house. I've told the landlord about us and he has ok'd us leaving our rental house. I'm not sure how to do all of this or what to do with all our stuff (much of it she can have) just know I need a change before something bad happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 04:59 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,440,764 times
Is she in any kind of treatment? Taking medication?

Old 01-02-2017, 05:01 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,196 times
Consult a lawyer (and her psych) and take any advice outside that with a grain.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:11 PM

She is on meds and it helps but it doesn't take away my feelings or fears

Old 01-02-2017, 05:20 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound17 View Post
She is on meds ...
Then she has a treating physician who WILL be involved (=subpeona, deposition, etc.)
She'll likely also qualify for a legal representative as well like a guardian thing.
Just be glad you don't also have to manage custody issues.

But as said.. YOUR first step is a real attorney who does divorce.
Because you're married you can expect to have some extra obligations toward her
and her care beyond what a "normal" break up would enatil.

good luck

Old 01-02-2017, 05:21 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,417,868 times
Similar to my former situation. My best suggestion is to expect a firestorm at some point and probably the authorities as well. Here's some thoughtful "grains"....

Gather anything important to you such as personal family papers, legal documents and only the most important life mementos. Have these placed, without her knowledge as best you can, in the care of a trusted friend. Everything else is just stuff.

If you expect her to become physically dangerous, do not retaliate in kind. Get the authorities involved quickly if she "freaks" and consider a PFA then and there. That will separate you.

Have some spare tires squirreled away somewhere and the number of a good automotive glass company handy. Trust me on that one.

Yes, a lawyer wouldn't hurt. Good luck.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:21 PM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
Have you discussed this with her yet?

If it seems like a good idea for you to legally separate, shouldn't she get a heads up so she can also find a place she can afford?

Old 01-02-2017, 05:37 PM

I have in the past and she doesn't seem to care although Im not sure what she would do now vs then. I also have everything in my name and she doesn't work currently. She could go back to live with her family but my guess is I'll be Stuck paying for her to live in our house together for some time. Am I allowed to take our cars to my brother's? I own both (I know it doesn't mean much with this kind of situation) we have no kids and no joint accounts only thing she is on is the car insurance

Old 01-02-2017, 05:43 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
How long have you been married?

Old 01-02-2017, 05:52 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Seems like you could do more to get her situated. I mean you promised for better or worse, sickness and health. Well, she is sick. If you won't stay, you won't, but at least get her set up first ..... and yeah, your questions are for a lawyer. These thing differ from state to state. Here she's own half of your cars, and half of what all you own. Spousal support keeps changing here so I couldn't even answer about TX much less another state.

I think what you are going to be going through legally will be very hard from a state away. Get an apartment so she knows it's real and then go about the legal proceedings and helping her get taken care of. File for disability, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships