Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2017, 02:07 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,711,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
No, I was just surprised that he insisted on asking for separate checks. Had we received a joint bill and he accepted my offer to pay my portion, I would've been less surprised. I was polite to him when he texted me to see if I got home ok so he has no reason to think that I'm upset.
Well you are upset, hence why you posted this thread. I bet you $100 you still would be just as upset if he split the same check instead of having two separate checks. Your initial post has money hungry all over it.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:07 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
This leaves you vulnerable to be taken advantage of. If you are willing to risk that, this is your decision of course. However I do not think you should assume she will take it as a sign that you like her. There are many guys who will pay and never call again, and there are many guys who go "dutch" and call the next day for another date. This is why I just pay for myself and if we want to see each other again we will make it happen. Money is not a sign of liking to me.
I understand it's a risk at times. But I know in dating you have to go big or go home. For someone, that I actually like, it is worth that risk.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:09 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Well you are upset, hence why you posted this thread. I bet you $100 you still would be just as upset if he split the same check instead of having two separate checks. Your initial post has money hungry all over it.
I'm not upset nor am I "money hungry" for a $20 sports bar meal, but thanks for the laugh!

Old 01-09-2017, 02:11 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,711,977 times
Quote:
I'm not upset nor am I "money hungry" for a $20 sports bar meal, but thanks for the laugh!
Then why make this thread at all?? Lol

Old 01-09-2017, 02:11 PM

52,282 posts, read 52,700,922 times
I'm not sure why the OP is getting so much flack here. I didn't get money hungry or whatever. I think the thread title reeks a bit of a passive aggressive attitude, but whatever, wasn't that big of a deal.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:13 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,529,594 times
Quote:
One more reason I pay for myself.

Of course then sometimes a guy will think that means I don't like him. One guy said to me "So I guess this wasn't a date then?"

Yeah I can see that happening

I would certainly think or like to think I'd KNOW if she wanted to see me again just by how well our date went and more importantly how she was towards me with body language, manner etc so I agree

Old 01-09-2017, 02:16 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Then why make this thread at all?? Lol
Because I've never had anyone ask for separate checks before and I wanted to discuss it. I thought some people here might find it interesting and for the men who worry about this kind of thing, it gives them another option of how to potentially approach the situation of splitting the bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'm not sure why the OP is getting so much flack here. I didn't get money hungry or whatever. I think the thread title reeks a bit of a passive aggressive attitude, but whatever, wasn't that big of a deal.
It was meant to be humorous. Thankfully, some people understood my humor.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:20 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
I do not understand this. How is being on a date with a guy any different than meeting up with one of my women friends? I do not expect a woman to walk me to a car. Why expect a man? It is not like he can't get mugged just because he is man. If I meet somebody either for a date or to meet a friend for dinner etc., we just do not go to a creepy area or a bad neighborhood.
Seriously...how obtuse (or disingenuous) can you be? If it's been a good date then the guy seeing you off to your car may be the closest thing to a kiss at your door! The "courtesy" is a pretense of him seeing to your safety - so usually a chivalrous bit of fluff that makes most people feel warm and fuzzy and rarely is it predominantly about safety. But if you're meeting at a restaurant, are you going to say your goodbyes in the lobby and kiss THERE? Or do you want a slightly more extended and private opportunity at her car? Nothing is guaranteed but it provides an opportunity if the mood is right for both.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:31 PM

2,867 posts, read 1,541,793 times
Quote:
When I go out with a man, I don't expect our interactions to be similar to those that I would have with a female friend, but it's cool if that works for you.
There are more interactions than handling the check and the car however. This is my point. The check is about money. The car is about men "protecting" women when it is most often the case that when women are attacked it is by people they already know. If it is a first date like from an online site I would rather he did NOT walk me to my car.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:34 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times
Quote:
It was meant to be humorous. Thankfully, some people understood my humor.
I thought it was funny because we have so many guys here who gripe about paying for dates. Your date is probably their new role model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships