Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 06:17 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmimosa View Post
And you think his less than gentlemanly behaviour is somehow my fault?
Nope. Your fault is in exposing yourself to it... ignoring those red flags.

More pointedly... in not taking responsibility for exposing yourself to it...
and not extracting yourself from the situation immediately.
You stuck around for more.
Quote:
The good looking and well off tend to be advantaged in the dating market...
And the employment market too. So what are ya gonna do about it?
Welcome to Life 101

Quote:
I ignored the red flag because...
Ever read any Maya?
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. - Maya Angelou

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
isn't so often suggested to not get tied up in chit chat online and go for a face to face meeting ASAP?
That you can't really tell anything about a person until you do that?
Correct. But that doesn't mean to go out with every git who asks you to have a coffee...
Just to not limit yourself to the written or projected (when it appears to be good).

But ignoring what YOU consider to be red flags? No.

Last edited by MrRational; 01-27-2017 at 06:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 06:26 AM

217 posts, read 237,753 times
Quote:
The good looking and well off tend to be advantaged in the dating market
How would a woman know whether a man is well-off or not? What if he actually was well-off, but tried to hide the fact by acting like someone of average wealth?

Old 01-27-2017, 06:28 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluegrassGuy View Post
How would a woman know whether a man is well-off or not? What if he actually was well-off, but tried to hide the fact by acting like someone of average wealth?
You can't always tell. A person who shows off (which is an immediate turnoff anyway) the typical trappings of wealth could be in debt up to their eyeballs.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:32 AM

676 posts, read 528,535 times
He's a jerk .... his fault. And you took the chance .... your fault.

OR there are good and bad people out there and you never know what you're going to get, so we all take chances, and then find out, and then move on. What's new in that?

Old 01-27-2017, 06:38 AM

7 posts, read 5,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluegrassGuy View Post
He came to meet me in a flashy sports car so clearly he's not someone averse to ostentatious displays of wealth. He probably expected me to be impressed and swayed by his car.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
He came to meet me in a flashy sports car...
He probably expected me to be impressed and swayed by his car.
You may not have been "impressed and swayed" how HE intended it...
but it sure seems to have impressed you enough.

Quote:
...so clearly he's not someone averse to ostentatious displays of wealth.
Or at least enough to believe such is evidence of actual wealth.
(It isn't)

Old 01-27-2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwoman View Post
OR there are good and bad people out there and you never know what you're going to get,
so we all take chances, and then find out, and then move on. What's new in that?
Well said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C89u535IMbk

Old 01-27-2017, 06:47 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,370 times
I've ran into a few of these types since I started OLD. It makes some great stories. That guy sounds like a text book narcissist. That term sounds cliched but they are out there and dealing with them is as frustrating as all the info suggests.

I've asked the "why not just get a hooker?" Question before too. It's called ego. You were there to stroke his. It's all about him winning the game to get what he wants from you. He can't get that from a hooker. It's not really sex itself that he is looking for. It's sex with someone who puts him on a pedestal and thinks he's giving something special to them, but he isn't. He wants someone willing to play his game.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:49 AM

7 posts, read 5,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You may not have been "impressed and swayed" how HE intended it...
but it sure seems to have impressed you enough.

Or at least enough to believe such is evidence of actual wealth.
(It isn't)
I need you to re-evaluate your user name. You're not making one iota of sense Since you have nothing constructive to say, kindly exit my thread.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:52 AM

993 posts, read 767,151 times
Quote:
And you think his less than gentlemanly behaviour is somehow my fault? Oh the irony of this coming from someone called 'Mr Rational'

Believe it or not, I was interested in him because he actually had other attractive attributes. Some of which were that we spoke the same languages and shared a similar educational background.

I didn't prioritise his looks or money.

If I was that type of woman, I would have gone straight to his house. As it were the meeting ended because I refused to go as a matter of principle.

The good looking and well off tend to be advantaged in the dating market so I didn't understand his game playing and like I said, he could have easily paid for a hooker.

I ignored the red flag because I gave him the benefit of the doubt thinking he may be a better communicator in person.
I know I'm opening myself up to ridicule but here it goes:

Being a millionaire is not a big deal these days particularly if you live in the metro area of a large financially stable city.

He could have assets worth 5 million and be in debt for 10 million. How do you know? How did he earn his wealth? Did he work for it or is he a trust fund baby boy who brags about his toys?

From the get go he told you he was a creep but you choose to ignore that. It is imperative that you start listening to your gut.

He didn't want a hooker because he gets off on the chase and conquest. He might have a string of willing NSA girlfriends but there's no challenge there. He was on the hunt for fresh meat, he wanted a fresh kill.

When I was a social worker I worked for the police department, often dealing with the victims of sexual assault.

I predict he will contact you again. Be careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships