Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 11:20 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,335,423 times

Advertisements

What is up with girls and using passive aggressive techniques (silent treatment, coldness, etc) whenever you have done something wrong? The worst part is when you really have no idea what you have done wrong in the first place, and the silence just makes it more difficult to figure out what the problem is. I admit sometimes I use it too, but it's only for a short while, like a couple of hours max. I don't see the point for keeping up the silent treatment or coldness from a prolonged period of time, all it does is make both partners frustrated and leaves one partner confused and unsure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 11:21 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I admit sometimes I use it too...

LOL

Why do YOU use it?

That's probably why some girls use it.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:24 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
What is up with girls and using passive aggressive techniques (silent treatment, coldness, etc) whenever you have done something wrong? The worst part is when you really have no idea what you have done wrong in the first place, and the silence just makes it more difficult to figure out what the problem is. I admit sometimes I use it too, but it's only for a short while, like a couple of hours max. I don't see the point for keeping up the silent treatment or coldness from a prolonged period of time, all it does is make both partners frustrated and leaves one partner confused and unsure
Guys do this, too. I agree, it makes no sense, but it's actually a manipulation tactic. Manipulative, passive-aggressive people of both genders do this. Including you.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:36 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,424,866 times
Quote:
What is up with girls and using passive aggressive techniques (silent treatment, coldness, etc) whenever you have done something wrong?
That's why they're called girls and not women.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:37 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,144,346 times
Quote:
Thats why you always have that one smoking hot female friend, so when you get the silent treatment, you give it in return and then they will always be wondering is she more than just a friend if you call her lol

But seriously, it is just selfishness and it goes for guys and girls. They see it as a way of revenge and it honestly is not resolving anything if it goes on for more than 1 day. Everyone needs a cool down period, but that kind of behavior shouldn't be a ll the time kind of thing.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:43 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Thats why you always have that one smoking hot female friend, so when you get the silent treatment, you give it in return and then they will always be wondering is she more than just a friend if you call her lol

But seriously, it is just selfishness and it goes for guys and girls. They see it as a way of revenge and it honestly is not resolving anything if it goes on for more than 1 day. Everyone needs a cool down period, but that kind of behavior shouldn't be a ll the time kind of thing.
A cool-down period from what, though? The OP said he never knows what he's done wrong; it's not as if they have arguments, and she gives him the silent treatment afterwards. He's getting it in response to day-to-day stuff, maybe saying the wrong thing, or not calling her when she thought he should have, or who knows what it's about. And she doesn't tell him, so he has no way of improving or correcting whatever the problem is.

This is BS behavior, OP, and you shouldn't put up with it. Move on to more mature people, and stop doing it yourself.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:48 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Walking away from an argument is not necessarily passive-aggressive. Sometimes it is choosing battles. If I'm annoyed by something, and it truly isn't worth addressing, or it is an obvious impasse, and hashing it out isn't going to result in a solution, anyway, I'm more likely to shut up than devote the time to attempting to hash it out. That isn't silent treatment, it's simply deciding it isn't a fight you're gonna pick.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:22 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,335,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

LOL

Why do YOU use it?

That's probably why some girls use it.
I usually do it when I feel that the other person is clearly ignoring my feelings. But I usually end it when the other person apologizes/acknowledges my feelings. Girls seem to be much more serious with it

Old 05-02-2017, 12:30 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
I usually do it when I feel that the other person is clearly ignoring my feelings. But I usually end it when the other person apologizes/acknowledges my feelings. Girls seem to be much more serious with it
I grew up with this kind of behavior. It's maddening.

If someone uses passive aggression with you, ignore it.

If you're obviously in the wrong, apologize for that and make amends, but if they just want to punish you for it with the silent treatment, don't play along.

Stop apologizing profusely. Don't walk on eggshells. Just go on with your day and let them act like an adult and TELL YOU what is wrong rather than pout about it.

I personally would not be in a relationship with someone who continually does this. It's immature.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:35 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,116,401 times
My most recent ex boyfriend was the most passive aggressive person I've ever known in my life. Which is a huge reason why he's now an ex.

I get why you're frustrated, because when you're dealing with a pathological passive aggressive person, you pretty much never know where you stand because they're so manipulative. At some point you may even start questioning your own sanity. But my point is that this is a tactic used by both males and females in the context of relationships. It's not an exclusively female trait in relationships, so this gender bashing thing needs to stop. Find a more mature female to be around and don't pick someone who has this flaw about themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships