Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 03:09 PM

98 posts, read 109,969 times

Advertisements

I'm a divorced female (over 50) out in the dating world. I've been out with this one guy three times now. When making plans, he asks where I want to eat, and I give him a couple of options (thinking I am being considerate by giving choices). Every time, he ignores my suggestions and chooses something else. Am I missing something? Is this a red flag at all? Could it possibly mean he likes control, or am I over thinking it? It just seems like something isn't right.

The first time we went out, we met at a restaurant, then he wanted to go for coffee after. I followed him in my vehicle, but he was driving so fast, I kept losing him. (I am new to the area). What should have been a 5-minute drive turned into 45 minutes of continually losing sight of him (it was dark). Each time I lost him, when we connected on our cells, I could absolutely hear his frustration with me. It reminded me of being with my extremely verbally and emotionally abusive ex.

Dating this late in life truly SUCKS. All the good ones are taken!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 03:13 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,529,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absodamnposilutely View Post
I'm a divorced female (over 50) out in the dating world. I've been out with this one guy three times now. When making plans, he asks where I want to eat, and I give him a couple of options (thinking I am being considerate by giving choices). Every time, he ignores my suggestions and chooses something else. Am I missing something? Is this a red flag at all? Could it possibly mean he likes control, or am I over thinking it? It just seems like something isn't right.

The first time we went out, we met at a restaurant, then he wanted to go for coffee after. I followed him in my vehicle, but he was driving so fast, I kept losing him. (I am new to the area). What should have been a 5-minute drive turned into 45 minutes of continually losing sight of him (it was dark). Each time I lost him, when we connected on our cells, I could absolutely hear his frustration with me. It reminded me of being with my extremely verbally and emotionally abusive ex.

If your gut is telling you its a red flag and he's not for you then that's your answer

Old 01-30-2017, 03:14 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
I don't know that it's controlling behavior, but it does sound inconsiderate.

Listen to your gut, tho.

Old 01-30-2017, 03:15 PM

636 posts, read 392,865 times
Quote:

Break up with him immediately! Is what come people will certainly say.

I disagree.
Talk to him about it.
If you're willing to date him you should be willing to talk to him.

The anger thing, is the bigger thing for me.
That was once? Or more than once?

Old 01-30-2017, 03:18 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,858 times
It sounds like you're unhappy with the way this is playing out. You have little invested at this point, so ask yourself why you'd want to keep dating a guy who presents these challenges.

Old 01-30-2017, 03:19 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:

You are either super slow or he is an inconsiderate jerk. Either way, after the first time losing you he should have slowed down A LOT.

I would say - get rid of him.

Old 01-30-2017, 03:38 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Hearing aid not working? Next time say loud and slow
Are his other options similar to your choice of cuisine, just a different restaurant? (better/cheaper/more expensive?)
Other than that - next time when he asks, I would say: why do you ask me if you ignore my options?

Him driving so fast, and making it difficult for you to follow is extremely inconsiderate. Next time get an address, and just follow the directions of your map of choice. When you get there - you get there, he can wait...
Perhaps he has a "hot car" and wants to show off that he "isn't dead yet"? You know... desperately trying to impress?
You should talk with him about it.

Last edited by elnina; 01-30-2017 at 04:32 PM..

Old 01-30-2017, 03:38 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,907,374 times
He sounds rude and disrespectful

Old 01-30-2017, 03:49 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
Quote:

Okay, after I read the first paragraph, I was thinking: I'm very straight forward. Next time he asks, I would offer my suggestions. (Or really test him by offering the places he picked the last times). If he chooses something else, I'd say jokingly "Why did you bother to ask if you weren't going to let me pick?" If he thinks that's funny, I'll keep him. If not, I wouldn't go out with him again.

Then I read the second paragraph, and I was hoping that when you finally found the coffee place, was he forgiving of your foibles? or was he still frustrated? Even if you are a hot mess (directionally challenged or flaky or whatever) you still deserve to be with someone who would be a gentleman about it and lets things roll off his back.

If a guy reminds me of my ex, I'm OUTTA THERE!

Old 01-30-2017, 03:49 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,577,990 times
In my paranoia I would say you're a revenge experiment from some past misdeed of a previous woman, lol but don't think that way. He may have a lead foot and not like what you're suggesting or he could be testing waters, who knows. If you think he's a worthwhile prospect bring it up to him and see if he fixes it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships