Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 11:03 PM

672 posts, read 504,064 times

Advertisements

This is something I have wondered about sometimes. What are common reasons for People to remarry after 30, 40 and 50+ years of Marriage? I am talking Marriages that (were happy ones) ends in the Death of Spouse, not Divorce. Especially when they remarry only a couple after their last spouse death.

I can understand after 10 or 20 Years of Marriage but I wonder about Marriages that were much longer than that. Personally If I was Married for 40 years or 50 years and My spouse I do no think I marry again but that just me.

I don't have a problem with people remarrying after being with a spouse for many decades. Though If I was a Child of a Parent who remarried after being with My Mom or Dad for 50 years I would find it kind of weird or hard to getting used to. Especially if other parents died only a couple years before.

I have a Great-Great grandparent who was happily married for 51 years and had 9 Children. My Great-Great Grandmother died in 1964 and My Great-Great Grandfather married again at age 71 in just under 2 years later after her death to a woman who was actually same age and had also been widowed once. That Second Marriage only last Five Years when she died.

I think a lot of it has to do with feeling lonely and wanting the companionship side of the relationship or the Company. My Great-Great Grandfather was definitely lonely despite having all those Kids and Grandkids around but in some ways that really can't compare to having that other person around.

My Great-Great Grandfather never married again and It would be 11 more Years (after his second wife died) befoe he would join my Great-Great Grandmother. My Grandma told me she and My Grandpa would go to his House (This was My Maternal Grandpa Maternal grandfather) a lot because they did not want him to be alone.

Last edited by NorthwestResident; 03-22-2017 at 11:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 11:05 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Companionship can be very important to people who've never been without it for decades and decades at a time. Older men who've been widowed or divorced also tend to remarry more quickly and reliably than their female counterparts, who are more inclined to stay single in larger numbers. This is thought to be the case because women are more likely to have developed strong, supportive platonic relationships in addition to their marital relationships, and aren't as dependent upon a spouse, alone, for companionship and support. Men, especially as they age, are more inclined to put all those eggs in the spouse basket.

Old 03-23-2017, 01:10 AM

473 posts, read 307,735 times
I find it beautiful way to praise their love

Old 03-23-2017, 01:53 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,013,634 times
it is their life and their choose and their way of doing things,, why that need to be our problem.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:28 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Companionship can be very important to people who've never been without it for decades and decades at a time. Older men who've been widowed or divorced also tend to remarry more quickly and reliably than their female counterparts, who are more inclined to stay single in larger numbers. This is thought to be the case because women are more likely to have developed strong, supportive platonic relationships in addition to their marital relationships, and aren't as dependent upon a spouse, alone, for companionship and support. Men, especially as they age, are more inclined to put all those eggs in the spouse basket.
well said.

Old 03-23-2017, 03:03 AM

574 posts, read 377,283 times
I am a recent widower. We had a very good, happy 38 years together. I have lots of friends and family around me. But I still want the companionship and the partner to finish this life with. I want someone who joins me and we live life as one.

It is not right or wrong for someone to remarry or not remarry after the loss of a spouse. There is no set time frame. There really aren't any rules. And as widows/widowers, we don't give a flying chicken what anyone thinks or says. We have suffered enough.
I told my children I could not live the rest of my life alone. they understand and are fine with it. Nobody else really matters.

Age or how long you were married has nothing to do with it. Some of us just want to be alone and some of us refuse to be alone. I don't want to spend the rest of my life crying over lost memories. I want to make new ones. When I die and my life passes before my eyes, I want it to be interesting and a long movie filled with love and joy.

Old 03-23-2017, 03:45 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,456,933 times
For many it is an unaware realization that life has an end and it's approaching sooner than later. We reflect on life past and feel the time gone in our minds and bodies.

Life doesn't get easier the more we age, it gets harder. A supportive partner in life offers a huge benift for mental and physical health.

The remarriage is a reflection of this and a praising of how much life has improved by having the other in life to make life just that little bit more comfortable.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:10 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,405,807 times
The longer you are part of a pair the harder it is to be alone. It's for friendship, support, and companionship.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:23 AM

622 posts, read 396,373 times
If a person was happily married they are more likely to believe they can be again. I know this is true for me after only a 15 year marriage before being widowed.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:59 AM

672 posts, read 504,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurich View Post
it is their life and their choose and their way of doing things,, why that need to be our problem.
Who said it was a Problem? I surely didn't
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships