Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2017, 10:08 AM

365 posts, read 258,332 times

Advertisements

She sounds 'High Maintenance' to me.

Speaking for myself, I avoid HM women. These relationships won't end well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 10:13 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,036,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Yep. People will say it's making a big deal over nothing, but when you like cooking and eating new things it's really disappointing to be with someone who wants everything plain or who won't leave their comfort zone. It affects how you eat, how you travel, how you socialize, etc.
Not really. I will find something to eat anywhere I go. I still enjoy the company and atmosphere.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:20 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Honestly, everything from the OP leads me to believe that he would have understood any option that she chose to deal with the situation rather than NOT dealing with the situation. That's why I really don't have any sympathy because she showed she was not willing to deal with an unpleasant situation which would be a turn off for me.
Yeah, but the OP also said that he didn't want to be on the hook for paying for two dinners when she didn't eat the first one, so that would have put her in another awkward spot--should she assume that he's paying? would she insult him if she insisted that she paid her own way? I don't think she could win in this situation.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:21 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Sending food back because you don't care for a disclosed ingredient is pretty lame. I agree that she might have been aware of this and didn't want to make this faux pas.
It is. I just eat it. If it isn't going to kill me, just eat it.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:29 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
I just re-read the OP and nowhere did it say his date complained about the situation, just that she didn't like her meal. I've picked at restaurant meals before that I didn't really enjoy and it wasn't the end of the world.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:36 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,774,235 times
It's possible that there's the SANITATION angle to consider, with sun-dried tomatoes. I worry about where they came from, and whether flies have been laying eggs on them.

I also worry about salads in restaurants (and people are always ordering salads "for me", because I'm "into health food" , in conference situations, where things run-on, and suddenly I'm hearing that lunch is being sent-in, , and becoming angry, because I won't touch my salads - which, beyond being questionable from a parasites angle, generally have dressings so laden with sugar, they'll send me into a hypoglycemic meltdown, if I consume them). Much of that is because I'm married to a Chemical Engineer, and the mother of a girl who became a Surgeon. Both of them have always been analytical about parasite threats in food (they prepare the salad ingredients at our house).

Our daughter, who is not a "typical female" (that is, a helpless little sad-sack, whose life-strategy is finding parental figures to perpetually "rescue" her), had a good strategy for dates. She'd get asked-out, and would reply with, "Only if you let ME pay." One advantage, was that when she'd encounter something she considered unsanitary, or too sugary, or laced with Monosodium Glutamate, she wasn't wasting her date's money, by not consuming the iffy item.

So, maybe OP's date is just cautious. Grilling waitstaff about the food, is a good way to get your food sabotaged. Asking too many questions, is as dangerous as sending things back. Personally, I never ask questions, and never criticize anything. I limit my comments to, "Wonderful!" and "THANK you!". I'm terrified of waitstaff, and of unsanitary practices in kitchens, and really, really HATE dining in restaurants.

Really, the question seems to be: Is OP's date simply cautious, and not wanting to be a bother? Or, is she the classic helpless, frightened, finicky, difficult, impossible-to-please, PERPETUAL LITTLE GIRL, who'll ruin his life, if he becomes involved with her?

___
And to respond to: "I think it's best for everyone involved if you avoid eating in restaurants.
And what a charming way to describe your interpretation of the "typical female". Happy International Womens day to you, too, you "helpless little sad sack"! "

I don't know what is was about your post, but suddenly, TRINA popped into my head. Enjoy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRvwBCEiSbg

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 03-08-2017 at 11:06 AM..

Old 03-08-2017, 10:39 AM

1,830 posts, read 2,152,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
What do you think happens to food that is sent back, out of curiosity?

From the food industry folks I've spoken to. They've told me it just gets trashed.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:39 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
It's possible that there's the SANITATION angle to consider, with sun-dried tomatoes. I worry about where they came from, and whether flies have been laying eggs on them.

I also worry about salads in restaurants (and people are always ordering salads "for me", in conference situations, where things run-on, and suddenly I'm hearing that lunch is being sent-in, because I'm "into health food", and becoming angry, because I won't touch my salads - which, beyond being questionable from a parasites angle, generally have dressings so laden with sugar, they'll send me into a hypoglycemic meltdown, if I eat them). Much of that is because I'm married to a Chemical Engineer, and the mother of a girl who became a Surgeon. Both of them have always been analytical about parasite threats in food (they prepare the salad ingredients at our house).

Our daughter, who is not a "typical female" (a helpless little sad-sack whose life-strategy is finding parental figures to perpetually "rescue" her), had a good strategy for dates. She'd get asked-out, and would reply with, "Only if you let ME pay." One advantage, was that when she'd encounter something she considered unsanitary, or too sugary, or laced with Monosodium Glutamate, she wasn't wasting her date's money, by not consuming the iffy item.

So, maybe OP's date is just cautious. Grilling waitstaff about the food, is a good way to get your food sabotaged. Asking too many questions, is as dangerous as sending things back. Personally, I never ask questions, and never criticize anything. I limit my comments to, "Wonderful!" and "THANK you!". I'm terrified of waitstaff, and of unsanitary practices in kitchens, and really, really HATE dining in restaurants.
I think it's best for everyone involved if you avoid eating in restaurants.

And what a charming way to describe your interpretation of the "typical female". Happy International Womens day to you, too, you "helpless little sad sack"!

Old 03-08-2017, 11:16 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,955,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
From the food industry folks I've spoken to. They've told me it just gets trashed.
Wait till the cook is told they didn't like the food and watch his/her hard work get tossed in the trash!

I'm sure your second meal will be tasty. Hmmmm

Old 03-08-2017, 11:21 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I think it is pretty safe to say that the OP wasn't into her, and the dreaded tomato paste incident wasn't the deciding factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships