Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 03:47 AM

2,822 posts, read 1,928,869 times

Advertisements

I've been friendly with a 21 year old since I moved here. She works at a store I go to and was one of the first ''Friends'' I had when I moved here. When I say friend, our ''Friendship'' doesn't go beyond and has never went beyond interacting when I come into the establishment she works at and being friends on social media. We've seen each other out a few times and have said hi and that's it.

She's really beyond immature and I'm 34 and act like I'm 19, but she's 21 and acts like what I remember 13 or 14 year old's acting like when I was that age. Some of the things she gossips about are just incredibly juvenile. I remember when day she told me ''I'm terrible! Some old ***** was in here and told me my prom pictures were ugly! Can you believe this old lady said that?'' and while she was telling me about it, she was talking obnoxiously loud like she wanted the entire store to hear it and then posted a social media status about it later that day.

On the flip side, there's some 21 year old's that are more mature than myself, so obviously there's no rule here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 06:08 AM

370 posts, read 654,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goten20 View Post
There's this girl I'm interested in who I just recently found out was 21 (just turned 21). I'm 28 turning 29 in July. Is this too much of an age gap?
No. follow your heart! But understands once she becomes a grown woman...through much life experience she may want to go off and do her own thing, realize what she wants in a guy etc..when I was 20 I had my first serious bf, he was 30. When I turned 25 I was changing and he didn't even recongnize me anymore. So just remember that. However, don't let that discourage you...my mom met my dad when she wasn't quiet 17, he was 23 and still happily together .

Old 03-26-2017, 08:17 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Well, OK, then... if wanting to keep some of my actions, opinions, thoughts, and feelings private is wrong, I don't want to be right. Because in a relationship, you never know when sharing something can trigger a very angry reaction. Do I want to risk it? Hell no!
"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

Old 03-26-2017, 04:07 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,352,080 times
This is all stupid...so stupid.

Here's an easy way to know what you should do:

"If she likes you, and if you get a jolt from being around her...then you should date"

Seriously, you're an adult and should know by now what it feels like to be attracted to somebody else and what it is to be happy; if you know it's there and willingly pass it up, then you're an idiot. I mean hey, you can always go find somebody who's older that does absolutely nothing for you and sit around patting yourself on the back for "dating a swell girl who's my own age...you know, because old Mr. McGregor down the street would approve". Yeah, because your life and happiness comes from what other people think and not what you feel

Don't avoid the obvious and just stop.

Old 03-26-2017, 10:11 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
"If she likes you, and if you get a jolt from being around her...then you should date"
I think this quote does an awesome job at summarizing the process of looking for a date/partner (at least the men's side of it).

Especially considering that the chronological age isn't always reflective of the mental age. Like me, for instance. I'm 33, which isn't too far from becoming an old fart . But my mindset is more like mid 20's: I want to go out, have fun, and eschew the stereotypical suburban living, all while being more mature about it than your average college student. So the women who'd be the best fit for me are in mid 20's, rather than early 30's, my chronological age.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:45 AM

17 posts, read 30,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
This is all stupid...so stupid.

Here's an easy way to know what you should do:

Seriously, you're an adult and should know by now what it feels like to be attracted to somebody else and what it is to be happy; if you know it's there and willingly pass it up, then you're an idiot. I mean hey, you can always go find somebody who's older that does absolutely nothing for you and sit around patting yourself on the back for "dating a swell girl who's my own age...you know, because old Mr. McGregor down the street would approve". Yeah, because your life and happiness comes from what other people think and not what you feel

Don't avoid the obvious and just stop.
Yeah, you are right. I'm definitely going to try and go for it. Who cares what others think about age gaps.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloimage View Post
No. follow your heart! But understands once she becomes a grown woman...through much life experience she may want to go off and do her own thing, realize what she wants in a guy etc..when I was 20 I had my first serious bf, he was 30. When I turned 25 I was changing and he didn't even recongnize me anymore. So just remember that. However, don't let that discourage you...my mom met my dad when she wasn't quiet 17, he was 23 and still happily together .
did you stop going out because of how much you changed? I mean, let's say he was 20 instead of 30, would that have made any difference?

Old 03-27-2017, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
I've been friendly with a 21 year old since I moved here. She works at a store I go to and was one of the first ''Friends'' I had when I moved here. When I say friend, our ''Friendship'' doesn't go beyond and has never went beyond interacting when I come into the establishment she works at and being friends on social media. We've seen each other out a few times and have said hi and that's it.

She's really beyond immature and I'm 34 and act like I'm 19, but she's 21 and acts like what I remember 13 or 14 year old's acting like when I was that age. Some of the things she gossips about are just incredibly juvenile. I remember when day she told me ''I'm terrible! Some old ***** was in here and told me my prom pictures were ugly! Can you believe this old lady said that?'' and while she was telling me about it, she was talking obnoxiously loud like she wanted the entire store to hear it and then posted a social media status about it later that day.

On the flip side, there's some 21 year old's that are more mature than myself, so obviously there's no rule here.
did you not ask her out because you felt she was too young, or too immature?

Old 03-27-2017, 08:55 AM

473 posts, read 502,346 times
No. Leave the ones who won't show you a driver's license alone...Get a LOT of jail time.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:08 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,352,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goten20 View Post
Yeah, you are right. I'm definitely going to try and go for it. Who cares what others think about age gaps.
Good. If it works, then stick with it and be happy; if it doesn't work, then think of it as being more about the two of you as individuals as opposed to the fall-out of age gap problems. Honestly, there's nothing wrong with early to mid-twenties dating late twenties to early thirties. You're at a nice time in life where you can both date up or down when it comes to age and have tons of options, so don't psych yourself out or overthink too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships