Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 04:13 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Love how people get to choose what should and should not be "trivial" for other people whose moccasins they have not walked.
That's life.

All you can do is ***** about it at the end of the day, but if you're still alive to see the next a don't think something as simple as someone speaking in a way you personally disagree with is really going to amount to much in the broader scope of things.

Part of this is self refective and being able to look at things from all sides and not just the side of yourself that "wants to be" upset at things.

Save those "offended" moments for when they actually matter, like when someone directly and purposefully means to demean or offend.

Old 03-29-2017, 04:16 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral Abyss View Post
I am curious about something. I understand that strictly speaking a female that is not an adult are referred to as a girl whereas an adult female is referred to as a woman. Yet there seems to be quite a bit of over lap. Even if they are adult females if a bunch of them go out it's called a "girls night out" for example, or if they are collectively into something they can be referred to as "the x girls" heck, even when they are much older you have shows such as "the golden girls" etc etc. Even other adult females view such differently.
What is your take?
There are vast differences between girls and women, obviously a female is a female.
In many situations it is best to refer to a woman by her given name if you know it, then as a woman or if in a group, women is the best route to take.
Does this make sense to you?

Old 03-29-2017, 05:13 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I wouldn't call a strange black man "boy" just like I'd refrain from calling anyone I didn't really know boy or girl, again if the context comes into play here.
So, you would take care so as not to possibly offend in such instances?

Hint - that's called political correctness.

Which is fine. Except people who prattle on about 'PC this' and 'PC that', as if it's some sort of scourge to which they are principally opposed - people like you - like to pretend that it's only politically correct if someone else is doing it. Whatever passes your muster for an appropriate speech code isn't politically correct. For no other reason than it's all about you.

But it's not.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:11 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
That's life.

All you can do is ***** about it at the end of the day, but if you're still alive to see the next a don't think something as simple as someone speaking in a way you personally disagree with is really going to amount to much in the broader scope of things.
No one ever claimed that this was a life or death issue. Most things in life aren't.

Imagine though what would happen if people simply shrugged and accepted all this stuff that's not life or death. People wouldn't be working to make their lives better, or to better the world around them.

That you (general "you") doesn't think that something is important doesn't make it so. Thankfully.

Quote:
Part of this is self refective and being able to look at things from all sides and not just the side of yourself that "wants to be" upset at things.
The same goes for those who say these things, right? I mean, someone might not realize that what they are saying is as innocuous as they believe- so shouldn't they also be "self reflective and be able to look at things from all sides"?

Quote:
Save those "offended" moments for when they actually matter, like when someone directly and purposefully means to demean or offend.
I believe that most people, when they say things that might seem "off" to others don't do it with an intent to offend. My experience is that most people, when they hear the "other side" of it understand that what they are saying might not be ok, and are fine with having the education.

Of course, there are also those who, when hearing the "other side" dig their heels in, and dismiss what people say to them as "First World problems" or some such nonsense. But in my experience, the vast majority of people don't fall into that category.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:44 AM

52,267 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
So, you would take care so as not to possibly offend in such instances?

Hint - that's called political correctness.

Which is fine. Except people who prattle on about 'PC this' and 'PC that', as if it's some sort of scourge to which they are principally opposed - people like you - like to pretend that it's only politically correct if someone else is doing it. Whatever passes your muster for an appropriate speech code isn't politically correct. For no other reason than it's all about you.

But it's not.
Hint. It's basic manners to be respectful to each other.

PC is when someone is gender fluid/neutral and they don't accept gender as "binary" and you have to change your gender specific pronouns from he, she to "they" because otherwise you will offend them.

That's being PC

Old 03-29-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Hint. It's basic manners to be respectful to each other.

PC is when someone is gender fluid/neutral and they don't accept gender as "binary" and you have to change your gender specific pronouns from he, she to "they" because otherwise you will offend them.

That's being PC
When someone asks you to refer to them as *whatever*, is it not basic respect to do so?

Old 03-29-2017, 11:04 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
When someone asks you to refer to them as *whatever*, is it not basic respect to do so?
Right, like we, as a society, have decided to call Paul Hewson "Bono" even though that's not his real name, so what's the big deal in using whatever words other people have chosen for themselves?

Old 03-29-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Of course. Basically people shouldn't expect the world to conform to them, whatever it happens to be, that's sorta my point. You look like a certain gender you're going to be addressed at such, generally speaking.

It would be awfully exhausting to have to go around and correct people's terms of how they address someone. I'm not being mean, just sayin.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Of course. Basically people shouldn't expect the world to conform to them, whatever it happens to be, that's sorta my point. You look like a certain gender you're going to be addressed at such, generally speaking.

It would be awfully exhausting to have to go around and correct people's terms of how they address someone. I'm not being mean, just sayin.
And if someone gets addressed as the gender they are not, they should just accept it?

And, yes, from what I have heard, it's awfully exhausting for those who don't conform to "what a particular gender should look like" to constantly be correcting people. But what's the alternative? To accept being called what others think you should be? How freaking dehumanizing.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
And if someone gets addressed as the gender they are not, they should just accept it?

And, yes, from what I have heard, it's awfully exhausting for those who don't conform to "what a particular gender should look like" to constantly be correcting people. But what's the alternative? To accept being called what others think you should be? How freaking dehumanizing.
Lighten up here. it's only dehumanizing if someone is corrected and still refuses to call them by the corrected term.

Come on, let's be intellectually honest here. The world doesn't know that you aren't man if you look like a man. Let keep it real. Like I said, if someone is corrected and they just blow them off and ignore them, then that "dehumanizing"

Anyway, we're slipping to far away from the thread topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships