Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 04:09 PM

926 posts, read 673,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Yes once years ago after she cheated on me, I'll give her all due credit as she came out and told me as she was consumed with guilt which I appreciated but naturally the trust wasn't there on my part anymore so it wasn't enough to prevent me from ending it.
I am of the same mindset as you, Londoncowboy. No matter how forthcoming an SO would be to me regarding their confessed infidelity, I would have definitely ended the relationship immediately - without hesitation. Once someone cheats and has ANY type of sexual relations with a person OTHER THAN their boyfriend/girlfriend, the trust has been *irretrievably broken*. FOREVER. To trust a cheater and give them another "chance" is a foolish exercise in futility.

Quote:
It wasn't a nice situation obviously but luckily I've got my head screwed on and knew it couldn't continue so my detachment and my heartache wasn't as hard as you'd think
Yes, detachment is a lot easier when your SO has cheated on you or has done something else wrong to you that is unforgivable. OTOH, when your SO has not done something that serious to you but yet, they have hurt you immeasurably and have broken your heart beyond repair, detachment is a lot more difficult...and takes longer to follow through to completion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 04:29 PM

926 posts, read 673,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augentier View Post
My longest relationship was 2.5 years. It wasn't a bad relationship at all, but I felt we were growing apart in interests, hobbies, and affection. He was really starting to bore me and I realized I didn't have the sexual passion for him that I require in a relationship. I knew this because I started having a crush on someone else so I knew I had to end it.

I slowly started to give him more space, which he actually wanted, and I decided to move back to KS (we were living in Portland). I told him it was because I needed a break in order to gain perspective on the relationship and my own needs. Which was true. I wasn't sure exactly how it would feel to leave him. I said, if we can remain in contact and find that we really do miss each other and want to get back together, I'd move back.

He understood although it was hard. I had been distancing myself emotionally for a couple months so when I actually left, I was relieved but still sad. I bawled my eyes out for at least a week before leaving. I was leaving him alone in Portland with our two beloved cats. I felt like I was abandoning him but I had to leave because I just wasn't feeling it anymore and I was done trying and lying to myself.

Turns out it was for the best..especially for him. A few months after I left, he randomly met a woman while hiking and they fell in love and are now married! I think it was meant to be that I left him during that time..so that he could find her. I'm really happy for him. He is a great man. I hope she is good for him.

I ended up in the most intense and horrible relationship after him. Boy was that a lesson lol.

Anyway that's my little story. It is ok to move on. It will help both of you.
Thank you for sharing your experience with this. The parts of your post I've highlighted in bold is what I am currently experiencing and what will soon come to pass.

I do believe that God places certain people in our lives to fulfill a specific type of purpose. And once these people have served their purpose in our lives - whatever those reasons or lessons may be - He slowly (and sometimes abruptly) removes them from our life. Unfortunately, this is usually not a painless process for us; but in the end, it is for our benefit.

Btw...why didn't you take your kitties (or at least one of them) with you? I doubt I could've left my babies there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships