Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 02:09 PM

6 posts, read 5,257 times

Advertisements

What are people's thoughts?

I am a married father of a little girl, and as time goes on it's becoming more and more clear to me that I'm not happy in my current situation. I do love my wife, but over the years we're becoming very different people. The sex and romance has gone by the wayside, and though I've tried to keep the spark alive I'm just tired of getting nothing back. From my perspective, we've become a pair of roommates that get along pretty well and just happen to also be parents of a child. Our priorities (other than our daughter) are also very different. I would like to move to the Midwest to be closer to family, friends, and that style of life, while she's seemingly content to live in our small apartment in the Bay Area that we can barely afford for the rest of her days.

As it is, I feel that the situation is what it is for at least a few more years, as our daughter has a learning disability and goes a school with a great program for kids like her, and I don't want to mess that up. But how much longer? I want to do right by her and be the best parent I can. But I'm also afraid that if I wait too long, I'll be too old to go for any new opportunities and I'll be stuck in a life that I'm not really happy with. When looking up how a divorce affects kids, I've seen everything from "not nearly as much as you'd think" to "stick it out as long as you humanly can unless you or the kids are being abused". I'm at a loss here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 02:17 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
So have you already checked out of the marriage? What is communication like with your wife? Is she willing to talk to you about these things, and/or be willing to go to marriage counselling?

Old 09-01-2017, 02:19 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,755,015 times
Absent abuse or infidelity I believe married couples have an obligation to their children to keep the family together for their sake. Their happiness is more important than yours. You will soon see that I hold the minority opinion on this board however, and most seem to believe if you are not happy the relationship will be unhealthy and that will be more damaging to the kids than breaking up their family and probably removing one of their parents from their lives as a major physical presence would be.

You seem to know both sides of the argument already though. What do you think?

Old 09-01-2017, 02:25 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatWithHands View Post
What are people's thoughts?

I am a married father of a little girl, and as time goes on it's becoming more and more clear to me that I'm not happy in my current situation. I do love my wife, but over the years we're becoming very different people. The sex and romance has gone by the wayside, and though I've tried to keep the spark alive I'm just tired of getting nothing back. From my perspective, we've become a pair of roommates that get along pretty well and just happen to also be parents of a child. Our priorities (other than our daughter) are also very different. I would like to move to the Midwest to be closer to family, friends, and that style of life, while she's seemingly content to live in our small apartment in the Bay Area that we can barely afford for the rest of her days.

As it is, I feel that the situation is what it is for at least a few more years, as our daughter has a learning disability and goes a school with a great program for kids like her, and I don't want to mess that up. But how much longer? I want to do right by her and be the best parent I can. But I'm also afraid that if I wait too long, I'll be too old to go for any new opportunities and I'll be stuck in a life that I'm not really happy with. When looking up how a divorce affects kids, I've seen everything from "not nearly as much as you'd think" to "stick it out as long as you humanly can unless you or the kids are being abused". I'm at a loss here.
How hard have you tried? Seriously? REALLY tried?

Are you still attracted to your wife?

Old 09-01-2017, 02:32 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,737,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Absent abuse or infidelity I believe married couples have an obligation to their children to keep the family together for their sake. Their happiness is more important than yours. You will soon see that I hold the minority opinion on this board however, and most seem to believe if you are not happy the relationship will be unhealthy and that will be more damaging to the kids than breaking up their family and probably removing one of their parents from their lives as a major physical presence would be.

You seem to know both sides of the argument already though. What do you think?
I agree with you, and I'm divorced. Marriages can be improved with effort. If two people get along and love their kids, they can make it work until the kids fly the nest. They can even build something better once their parenting duties are over.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:34 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Why is it the first thing a guy says is that the sex and romance have gone. ...and right - have they (you, OP!) tried anything beyond slapping her on the behind on the way to the bedroom (alone, since she's not following you)?

Old 09-01-2017, 02:46 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,455,752 times
Why is it always assumed the lack of sexual desire (or intimacy in general) in a relationship is from lack of effort on only one side of things?

That's not usually the case at all. It's usually two people both unwilling in their own ways to accept one another that creates no empathy for effort.

If nobody is open to receive no amount of effort matters.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:50 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
Why is it always assumed the lack of sexual desire (or intimacy in general) in a relationship is from lack of effort on only one side of things?

That's not usually the case at all. It's usually two people both unwilling in their own ways to accept one another that creates no empathy for effort.
Let's just say that if he REALLY tries to show her a good time (however she defines it) she might be more into it...instead of nagging and complaining.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:53 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
Is it ALWAYS assumed? I have not seen that here so far.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:54 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,455,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Let's just say that if he REALLY tries to show her a good time (however she defines it) she might be more into it...instead of nagging and complaining.
That assumes (again) that it's only one person at fault in the decline of intimacy and that doing good deeds will magically fix everything for everyone.

It takes both people to meet the others needs in the way they need them to create intimacy, not just one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships