Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 12:48 AM

914 posts, read 737,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
I was always under the impression that certain European cultures were much more open to casual sex and having a mistress and such. Years ago, I had a friend from Germany that commented about how much more uptight we seemed to be about sex here. I've had other friends make similar comments.
Not sure if Germans are more open to casual sex and affairs, but they are certainly more open about sex. As in talking about it, educating children from an early age etc. You'll have phone sex adverts and shows about sex on TV, sex shops on high streets, stuff like that. It's seen as natural and not something to be embarrassed about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 01:04 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,337,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
This is something that I noticed in comparison to my home country, and my foreign friends have noticed too. The dating culture in the US is maddeningly casual. Where you are not sure if someone likes you or not, whether you are dating or just hooking up, whether it's too early to ask to go exclusive, etc. In other cultures you will find people who are much more serious to their relationships, and just straight up won't put up with games. Why is dating so casual here?
I don't see this as a bad thing. Unless, one isn't getting any casual play.

I don't think there's many single men (regardless what country/culture) theyre from that isn't down for a good ol' casual relationship this day and age.

Is there any single men in here that would turn down a casual relationship with a woman they find attractive?

I didn't think so, Lol

Old 04-05-2017, 01:17 AM

4,525 posts, read 3,405,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I don't see this as a bad thing. Unless, one isn't getting any casual play.

I don't think there's many single men (regardless what country/culture) theyre from that isn't down for a good ol' casual relationship this day and age.

Is there any single men in here that would turn down a casual relationship with a woman they find attractive?

I didn't think so, Lol
Heh, I definitely wouldn't mind

Although, if I thought she was "the one" so to speak, I would hope it'd eventually turn into a more serious type of relationship, or at least be dating exclusively.

Old 04-05-2017, 01:25 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
It seems to me that the dating culture, as seen through C-D posts, is deadly serious with a primary focus on pairing off for life. Of course, it's always possible that C-D is not representative.

Compared to where in Europe? Even in tiny Denmark, there is a lot of diversity in behavior and attitudes, as there is in the US. The only thing I can say is that teens and their parents often have a more open attitude about youthful "exploration". Also, the idea of "holding out" is far less prevalent than the idea of "going for it", for everyone. That makes it easier to have more sexual experiences, but serious relationships are far from free of problems in Denmark, once they get started.

Old 04-05-2017, 01:25 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,337,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Heh, I definitely wouldn't mind

Although, if I thought she was "the one" so to speak, I would hope it'd eventually turn into a more serious type of relationship, or at least be dating exclusively.
You know, a lot of casual relationships do end up being serious. Theres actually a word/term for it.

Its called "dating".

Old 04-05-2017, 02:30 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,096,890 times
My loose observation.... When compared to many foreign European cultures, we are more casual about dating and relationships but more uptight and less open when it comes to views about sexuality. I feel we are more prudish with sexuality however we are more likely to date multiple people at the same time.

My only explaination is that as a whole we are still a religious and conservative country (influence on less open views on sexuality) while the family unit is rather spread out and weekly connected (influence on more casual relationships). I noticed that people who date less casually are those whose generational family has a great influence in their lives; ex multi-generational families whose grandparents assist raising the children while the parents work to support the family and have some focus on relationships.

I personally feel like I am a bit backwards.... I have more open views on sexuality but when I did enter into committed relationships they tended to be long term. I have no explaination.

Old 04-05-2017, 03:40 AM

1,080 posts, read 837,060 times
Based on the OP's screen name, I'm going to assume they are from Poland, which is a very Catholic country that only fairly recently opened itself up to western markets and culture, and only even more recently (2004) joined the EU. It's not representative of Europe as a whole. I find most of Europe to be every bit as casual about dating as the US-- actually even more so in many ways.

Asia, on the other hand-- That's where you can find some seriously uptight cultural rules about dating!

Old 04-05-2017, 07:27 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
People are looking for instant gratification. That and internet dating have really changed things. Now people are afraid to commit because "someone better may come onto the dating site tomorrow". We used to meet people at work, through friends, sometimes clubs. Now we look at a picture on a dating site, read a few sentences of a profile and make the decision whether or not we want to bother even sending a quick message. It's all about looks with OLD.

I met 5 different guys on different dating sites including Christian Mingle. One was an alcoholic, one said he needed to "lose a few pounds" when he really needed to lose a few hundred, one I suspect was married, one was just weird and one wanted to get married by our second date.

It dawned on me that I was happy being alone, dating these guys just cemented for me what I already knew deep in my heart.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:45 AM

1,145 posts, read 1,012,265 times
Flirting & Dating - Germany vs USA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGbh0BWq7qc

Old 04-05-2017, 08:29 AM

1,080 posts, read 837,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhwdavid View Post
Flirting & Dating - Germany vs USA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGbh0BWq7qc
Holy hell these guys are overanalyzing the bajesus out of this. I'm only four minutes in and already I'm thinking they could have met a real live woman with the time and effort they've spent on this video.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships