Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 09:09 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times

Advertisements

People use the word "relationship" to mean a LOT of different things from commitment, marriage (which could mean love, shared domestic support, both, neither), sex... It is a loaded word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 09:11 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,721,626 times
There is no ONE answer to this question.

However, I think casual relationships exist in other countries as well.

For some people, it just happens.

For others they just don't want to deal with the limitations of a relationship.

The list goes on and on.

Is this a problem or are you just "curious?"

Old 04-05-2017, 09:41 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
I was always under the impression that certain European cultures were much more open to casual sex and having a mistress and such. Years ago, I had a friend from Germany that commented about how much more uptight we seemed to be about sex here. I've had other friends make similar comments.
Yeah, I've always been under the impression that Europeans, especially, think that Americans are prudish and that sex is just for marriage, etc., and that Europeans are more open and experimental.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:50 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I don't know how it is in Western Europe, but in Eastern Europe relationships are taken a lot more seriously. And in most of Latin America too, despite the stereotypes
Eastern Europe and Western Europe are different worlds. Dating in Eastern Europe is more like what dating was like in the US in the 1950's. Although even then, people needed time to get to know each other before they could decide whether to get serious about each other. And sex generally didn't happen until later in the process, or so we're lead to believe.

You're right about the exclusivity issue, though; in many parts of W. Europe, there's not dating of multiple people simultaneously. As to Latin America--there are a lot of men who are players. Women may take dating seriously, but there are plenty of men who don't. There are all kinds.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:41 AM

735 posts, read 452,724 times
I don't think it's the culture thing, but more like the generation thing. Most men my generation or older are still very traditional, American or not. At least, that have been my dating experiences. They get to know their partners in person, and they date one man/one woman at a time. They put their best effort into it, and relationship is one of their life piority. They take their time for the relationship to grow before being intimate with their partner (pretty much know they want that person as their life partner unless something really out of wack shows up).

Old 04-07-2017, 04:20 AM

473 posts, read 307,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
It seems to me that the dating culture, as seen through C-D posts, is deadly serious with a primary focus on pairing off for life. Of course, it's always possible that C-D is not representative.

Compared to where in Europe? Even in tiny country, there is a lot of diversity in behavior and attitudes, as there is in the US. The only thing I can say is that teens and their parents often have a more open attitude about youthful "exploration". Also, the idea of "holding out" is far less prevalent than the idea of "going for it", for everyone. That makes it easier to have more sexual experiences, but serious relationships are far from free of problems in Denmark, once they get started.

I agree with this. As at school too there is certain boys and girls who don't use bathrooms for peeing and then those who cannot use the bathrooms after them because they know what the couple just did.. Some do and some don't.

It is more about personal type. I don't know what "youthful "exploration" you mean but what has been on the news about get a girl drunk or pay by clothes etc.and then use her with a group of guys, that is closer to crime than "youthful "exploration".

Going to a night club might make it seem that "all men and women" are hooking up but actually majority does not even go to night clubs and part of those who go, are not going there for sex. It is once again, certain people who are doing one night stands.

What is not happening in my neighborhood like in America is this dating multible people at same time which seem to be ok to american women. Our ladies would just rip those cheaters eyes away and go to beat both if they would hear their man is multiple dating. It is one woman at the time or cheaters faith.

Old 04-07-2017, 01:33 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
I personally found Europe to be more casual. There you will often meet your SO by being drunk at a party and sleeping together afterward. There is no 1st date, 2nd date, any of that formal crap. You either like each other or you don't. Eastern Europe is still a little more traditional except in the biggest cities.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:19 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerDarling View Post
I agree with this. As at school too there is certain boys and girls who don't use bathrooms for peeing and then those who cannot use the bathrooms after them because they know what the couple just did.. Some do and some don't.

It is more about personal type. I don't know what "youthful "exploration" you mean but what has been on the news about get a girl drunk or pay by clothes etc.and then use her with a group of guys, that is closer to crime than "youthful "exploration".

Going to a night club might make it seem that "all men and women" are hooking up but actually majority does not even go to night clubs and part of those who go, are not going there for sex. It is once again, certain people who are doing one night stands.

What is not happening in my neighborhood like in America is this dating multible people at same time which seem to be ok to american women. Our ladies would just rip those cheaters eyes away and go to beat both if they would hear their man is multiple dating. It is one woman at the time or cheaters faith.
I think you might not understand the situation it's actually many women now that want to date multiple people and date around. Because they can in the US and it's very easy for them to do. The US is almost as casual as Europe imo but in a different, sort of odd way complicated by sociological nuances and the culture. Now the US is certainly more casual than a lot of other parts of the world.

From what I understand there are some countries where the women are annoyed that men are becoming too Americanized or westernized and think the hookup culture is fine, even when women believe otherwise.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 04-07-2017 at 02:29 PM..

Old 04-07-2017, 03:21 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
This is something that I noticed in comparison to my home country, and my foreign friends have noticed too. The dating culture in the US is maddeningly casual. Where you are not sure if someone likes you or not, whether you are dating or just hooking up, whether it's too early to ask to go exclusive, etc. In other cultures you will find people who are much more serious to their relationships, and just straight up won't put up with games. Why is dating so casual here?
Although I'm not really the best judge on dating in USA as such but all what you describe above just sounds more like a lack of communication than anything else which can happen anywhere regardless of location/nationality.

As ever it's usually based on the individuals involved

Old 04-07-2017, 03:52 PM

473 posts, read 307,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I think you might not understand the situation it's actually many women now that want to date multiple people and date around. Because they can in the US and it's very easy for them to do. The US is almost as casual as Europe imo but in a different, sort of odd way complicated by sociological nuances and the culture. Now the US is certainly more casual than a lot of other parts of the world.

From what I understand there are some countries where the women are annoyed that men are becoming too Americanized or westernized and think the hookup culture is fine, even when women believe otherwise.

Yea yea, I said american women seem to be ok with sharing a man with other women and it would not happen in my neighborhood without a few handfull of hair and bald spots, bruises, broken bones and such. See, that is viewed as cheating, there is no term for multiple dating. There is only couples and cheaters, the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships