Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 05:47 PM

1,158 posts, read 966,043 times

Advertisements

Stats don't tell the whole story. Rock Springs is a pretty rough town. I grew up in Salt Lake and one of my aunt's moved their with her husband. It's a mining town, very blue collar when she lived there had lots of drugs/crime. My advice to your sister would be to move on to greener pastures. Not a great place to live. Salt Lake or Denver are much nicer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 06:24 PM

80 posts, read 112,715 times
I am just relating back what my sister has told me, I have no axe to grind with this area or it's men because I have never lived there. The gender imbalance is definitely noticeable among her age group, given the top industry jobs here(oil and gas), her town doesn't attract a lot of young women.

My sister goes out on a typical day in jeans and sweatshirts, so she definitely doesn't look like a prositute.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:37 PM

48,581 posts, read 35,035,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie682 View Post
Stats don't tell the whole story. Rock Springs is a pretty rough town. I grew up in Salt Lake and one of my aunt's moved their with her husband. It's a mining town, very blue collar when she lived there had lots of drugs/crime. My advice to your sister would be to move on to greener pastures. Not a great place to live. Salt Lake or Denver are much nicer.

The current crime index is lower than the national average, though it used to be much worse.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-12-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMesa View Post
I am just relating back what my sister has told me, I have no axe to grind with this area or it's men because I have never lived there. The gender imbalance is definitely noticeable among her age group, given the top industry jobs here(oil and gas), her town doesn't attract a lot of young women.

My sister goes out on a typical day in jeans and sweatshirts, so she definitely doesn't look like a prositute.
Don't know her age, but the median age is 31.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
The current crime index is lower than the national average, though it used to be much worse.
Like I said stats don't tell the whole story. Its not a great place to live. I've actually been there, not just looked up stats online. It's a blue collar town in the middle of nowhere, where oil and gas is the main industry. It's not a cute town by any means. They do have a drug problem. There are not tons of white collar eligible bachelors running around town. So if that's what OP' s sister is looking for she is not likely to find it there. Wyoming has a phrase "Wyoming where the men are men and the sheep are afraid" if that gives more insight..lol

Old 04-12-2017, 08:18 PM

80 posts, read 112,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherron View Post
You've heard the expression "safety in numbers"? Advise your sister to go to bars with a group of women. A woman going into a bar alone can sometimes be mistaken for a prostitute, in which case the men might treat her with less respect.
I recommended this to her before but she hasn't made many female friends. She tells me a good percentage of women her age are already married or have children.

My sister no longer goes to bars she stopped going a month ago. The problem is that social life pretty much revolves around bars in this town.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:37 PM

You don't have to be the same age as someone to be friends with them.

I have friends of all different ages.

Old 04-13-2017, 01:29 AM

31 posts, read 43,446 times
She should be moving out. The place sounds really scary.

Old 04-13-2017, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorra254 View Post
She should be moving out. The place sounds really scary.
60 minutes did a story on the Rock Springs as did City Confidential. An undercover narcotics agent Mike Rosa was investgating drug smugling, gambling and prostitution in the town in the late 70s. He found local law enforcement was corrupt and were getting paid off by the mob. He had told his wife he feared for his life. Shortly after that, a cop murdered the undercover agent. That was a long time ago, but they still have a drug problem. Mining towns in general aren't known as great places to live.

OP what industry is your sister in? There are better places to live in Wyoming than Rock Springs. I would move.

Last edited by Angie682; 04-13-2017 at 04:40 AM..

Old 04-13-2017, 05:14 AM

9,387 posts, read 7,020,254 times
Rock springs is a hub for energy (gas and coal) as well as mining. It's very easy to understand why there are a great deal of transient young men there. Basically like fish they have followed to where the jobs are at. They need entertainment and sex do it also makes sense that prostitutes and drugs will follow.

Not sure why your sister wouldn't leave for a more diverse location?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships