Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 12:06 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,518,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It's definitely not like London.

In these towns, where there is very little economic vitality or variety, the bars are just holes in the wall designed to draw money out of the guys' pockets.

They aren't like friendly neighborhood pubs, where you may see all types of people stopping in to see what's what and have a good time. They're usually just a place to get drunk and forget about the hard work of the day. It's really flat out NOT safe for women.

There was a book about this kind of scene a few years ago called Neon Wasteland. It's basically just a lifestyle that offers few options and not much hope.
Yeah that's a great point where I am in central London it's especially lively and fun because you get all sorts plus tourists all crammed together so makes for a very good evening!

What you've described above would put even a bouncy tigger ( thank you Ruth I'll never forget that one and love it ) like me in a depressed state!

Thank you all for taking the time to explain, very kind of you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 12:12 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
What you've described above would put even a bouncy tigger ( thank you Ruth I'll never forget that one and love it ) like me in a depressed state!

ROFL I forgot about that!!!

Old 04-12-2017, 12:15 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,518,441 times
Quote:

ROFL I forgot about that!!!
So did I! .... I've just trod on my mates toe proving how bouncy I am!!! LMAO

Old 04-12-2017, 12:17 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,861,074 times
Quote:
I would like to know the town in the OP as well.

The book I read interviewed women who lived in towns between Buffalo and Syracuse, NY. I know there are a lot of towns out west that have this dynamic, where oil-related jobs have drawn men from all over the country to scrubby burghs with little to offer in the way of entertainment.
I've been in one or two, Williston ND for example. Men there are working on the pipeline or involved in oil:

"North Dakota has shot from the middle of the pack to become the state with the third-highest ratio of single young men to single young women in the country. That disparity was even starker in the three counties where the oil boom is heaviest." -NY Times

The thing is, the atmosphere is the exact opposite of what the OP describes, I find her description puzzling and not very logical. Men who never see any women have a couple of drinks and the scary part is that they don't quit paying attention. They'll follow you around, and offer you money for anything. They're desperate, so the hostility towards women isn't making sense here.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:53 PM

80 posts, read 112,262 times
My sister lives in Rock Springs, Wyoming. I live in San Diego so it wouldn't be realistic for my sister drive all the way to where I live over the weekends. The town she lives in only has 23,000 people and is very blue collar, there isn't a large college educated white collar scene.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:58 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMesa View Post
My sister lives in Rock Springs, Wyoming.
Wow, that is super remote. No wonder!

I seriously would encourage her to start a cross-country job search in her industry. I know San Diego is expensive, but there has to be another more livable place where she can do what she does.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:19 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,870,206 times
Quote:
My sister says when she goes out at night that bars are basically filled with men. She says she doesn't feel comfortable approaching any of the men in bars because they are usually hangout in groups. The times she has approached a group of men they have given her a dirty look or just ignored her. She says that at most bars the men prefer to hangout with each other doing guy stuff like drinking beer, watching sport, or playing a game of pool then talk to women. The only women in these bars are the waitresses/bartenders or really skanky looking females. Often times there will females that don't fit those descriptions that are in the bars but usually only for a short period of time before leaving.
This is how meeting people in bars is for most men, only with genders of customers reversed.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:24 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
My sister lives in Rock Springs, Wyoming. I live in San Diego so it wouldn't be realistic for my sister drive all the way to where I live over the weekends. The town she lives in only has 23,000 people and is very blue collar, there isn't a large college educated white collar scene.
I would find a way to move.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:34 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,867,706 times
OP, is your sister a religious woman?
I think thats where a lot of the social activity can be in small isolated towns....

Old 04-12-2017, 02:04 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:

Says there are 1000 more men than women. Doesn't seem that dire based upon demographics.https://www.city-data.com/city/Rock-Springs-Wyoming.html

Median household income is 71K........ that's upper end blue collar.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships