Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 11:15 PM

151 posts, read 102,864 times

Advertisements

If you see a woman around in a particular place and you do not see any signs of interest or disinterest because she is busy where you see her, does it work to talk to her for a short time and tell her explicitly that you are interested? If it does not, why? If it does, what is the best way to do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 11:28 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,441,605 times
What kind of results have you been pulling in?

Old 04-03-2017, 11:44 PM

866 posts, read 630,291 times
IMcurrentO, the only thing that works is to read a few relationship books or google: relationship tips and LEARN HOW to make a relationship work, which will include how to talk to someone and behave in ways that will make things work for BOTH individuals. My late wife and I succeeded where so many others failed because we took the time and trouble to LEARN HOW from day one. We weren't perfect and some mistakes were made as we gradually honed our skills but, since we both wanted the same things, what we learned finally worked for us as our love grew deeper and deeper after the wounds from our 1st failed marriages healed over. We used good relationship skills to do better in our 2nd unions and past mistakes made it clear what we had to do next. The combination of new and improved education and past failures kept as best, most loving friends all the way through until bad health eventually took her away. I am not well connected with her family but she and I did very well so none of that matters now. If her family wants to connect better with me, my heart is open to them, but I don't see that happening. My family was never in the picture and we lived like two happy gypsies with no strings pulling at us from outside of our loving union marriage. We were always closer to her family but not dependent on any of them. Good relationship skills teaches folks how to deal with others in or near any relationship.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:38 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrich View Post
IMcurrentO, the only thing that works is to read a few relationship books or google: relationship tips and LEARN HOW to make a relationship work, which will include how to talk to someone and behave in ways that will make things work for BOTH individuals. My late wife and I succeeded where so many others failed because we took the time and trouble to LEARN HOW from day one. We weren't perfect and some mistakes were made as we gradually honed our skills but, since we both wanted the same things, what we learned finally worked for us as our love grew deeper and deeper after the wounds from our 1st failed marriages healed over. We used good relationship skills to do better in our 2nd unions and past mistakes made it clear what we had to do next. The combination of new and improved education and past failures kept as best, most loving friends all the way through until bad health eventually took her away. I am not well connected with her family but she and I did very well so none of that matters now. If her family wants to connect better with me, my heart is open to them, but I don't see that happening. My family was never in the picture and we lived like two happy gypsies with no strings pulling at us from outside of our loving union marriage. We were always closer to her family but not dependent on any of them. Good relationship skills teaches folks how to deal with others in or near any relationship.
The OP is just trying to figure out how to approach a busy woman for an initial conversation. He has a long way to go from that first step to make it to anything close to the relationship stage.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:41 AM

914 posts, read 738,226 times
Do you know the woman in the scenario or is she a complete stranger? I'm not overly comfortable with cold approaches in general but if a guy told me that he is interested in me after only chatting for a minute, then I would think all he cares about is my looks. You don't really know if you are "interested" until you get to know the person, surely? Just ask for her phone number and suggest grabbing a drink some time. Although, if she is truly busy as you say, not sure if she would appreciate being interrupted.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:55 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,355,682 times
I'm married, but I can tell you I'd probably be a bit creeped out if a stranger, or relative stranger, used the words "I'm interested in you" after a short conversation. Skip that part of the conversation. Just ask her out for coffee or something casual.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:55 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,959,573 times
'I see you are very busy. Is there a chance we can talk sometime?'

Old 04-04-2017, 05:10 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
'I see you are very busy. Is there a chance we can talk sometime?'
I agree that this is about the best way you could broach the topic, OP.

However ...

Trying to make a romantic overture with a woman who is very busy (assuming she is at work??) really only works if you are very smooth and charming.

Otherwise most likely you MAY get an affirmative response but because she probably would be caught off guard there is a high probability she would flake or end up "busy" later once she's had second thoughts about it.

Overall, it doesn't usually work to your advantage to catch a woman off guard, which is what would happen if you "approach" her on the job.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:17 AM

2,822 posts, read 1,929,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer_Rain View Post
Do you know the woman in the scenario or is she a complete stranger? I'm not overly comfortable with cold approaches in general but if a guy told me that he is interested in me after only chatting for a minute, then I would think all he cares about is my looks. You don't really know if you are "interested" until you get to know the person, surely? Just ask for her phone number and suggest grabbing a drink some time. Although, if she is truly busy as you say, not sure if she would appreciate being interrupted.
I've seen this a few times around here and I really don't agree with it. What is wrong with only asking someone out because they're attractive? When you ask someone out, it's to get to know them. I don't believe that you should have to get to know them to ask them out. I firmly believe getting to know them is what dating is for. If he just meets someone, he shouldn't be discouraged by asking her out because he doesn't know her yet, neither should anyone else. Some people don't know a lot of people or maybe they've moved to a new city and don't know anybody at all.

Even with internet dating. When you click on a profile, you could read a paragraph or two where they say a little bit about themselves, but what causes one to click on their profile in the first place, when they know nothing about them other than seeing one picture? It's their looks and it's the same thing in real life.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:36 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
Even with internet dating. When you click on a profile, you could read a paragraph or two where they say a little bit about themselves, but what causes one to click on their profile in the first place, when they know nothing about them other than seeing one picture? It's their looks and it's the same thing in real life.
Being on a dating site implies you are single and interested in meeting strangers. Walking around the Walgreens minding your own business does not. This is a false comparison.

Approaching strangers to tell them you are romantically interested in them on first sight is just creepy and desperate. You have no idea if that person is married, in a relationship, gay, or simply uninterested in dating. It's rude to put someone in the position of fending off an awkward, pushy stranger.

Try your moves on people you actually know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships