Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 05:46 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,352,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings18 View Post
Lol.

All he's saying is super models and unbelievably attractive women in NY are full of themselves and don't normally develop a personality and he was tired of not being able to have intelligent conversations, deeper relationships, etc. The opposite of superficial, he stopped being superficial. Men can't win here. The only focus is the fact that he would dare care other women "hotter" or whatever, than his fiance, who is beautiful.

I get what he is saying, and I'm sure his fiance does too. He's happy to date someone who is sexy, but not vapid and all about her looks. But of course, he is a straight white male, so of course something is offensive.
Dude!!! Get with the program!!! Haven't you heard? Offended is the new black.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 05:47 PM

129 posts, read 110,423 times
I feel if he had written an article about how he prefers deeper connections instead of superficial ones, few people would be calling him out on being a jerk. The way he basically humble-bragged (and not even really humble, so basically just bragged) that he could sleep with models but instead chose to voluntarily go for someone not *quite* up to his former standards... heck, the fact that he chose to write an article at all, screams narcissist to me. And if it was just to drum up publicity for something, well... hope he got what he wanted out of it.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:59 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,352,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldmist View Post
I feel if he had written an article about how he prefers deeper connections instead of superficial ones, few people would be calling him out on being a jerk. The way he basically humble-bragged (and not even really humble, so basically just bragged) that he could sleep with models but instead chose to voluntarily go for someone not *quite* up to his former standards... heck, the fact that he chose to write an article at all, screams narcissist to me. And if it was just to drum up publicity for something, well... hope he got what he wanted out of it.
Oh, I normally date hot people but I settled for you because you have a great personality and hot people don't. Don't you feel good that such a stunner like me is giving such a poor soul like you a chance.

I mean, how does that sound to y'all.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:13 PM

1,199 posts, read 731,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldmist View Post
Let me go find one of the thousand articles where women talk about dating really hot exciting guys but later settling for the "more stable" nice guy. It's the same thing. And there is quite minimal reaction.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:16 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,725,991 times
People are free to date who they want to date, but I'm sure anyone who is sensible wouldn't want to be with someone like the person in the article.

Man or woman.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:07 PM

129 posts, read 110,423 times
Quote:
Let me go find one of the thousand articles where women talk about dating really hot exciting guys but later settling for the "more stable" nice guy. It's the same thing. And there is quite minimal reaction.
I haven't read a thousand articles like that, but I'm sure they're out there. My own reaction to reading one of those would be the exact same as I had to this one.

As far as why there's not a greater discussion about those maybe speaks about how they fit into the social narrative. Women are given a tiny bit of leeway to play around until they get serious, at which point they better find a good provider. A man, meanwhile, is supposed to find the hottest piece he can hang on to in order to prove his status. An article written by a woman who settles down with a family man after dating hot guys fits the social narrative, so what's there to talk about?

This guy's piece doesn't quite fit the narrative, and thus sparks conversation. And yet, he is trying to have it both ways - he's writing about how he's essentially bucking tradition and social norms - whether he states that outright or not - by seeking personality over beauty. But he's STILL feeding into that narrative by having to write an article to prove to the world that he has indeed dated hot chicks, and it's his own choice to settle for an okay chick. (Who, let's face it... while she may not rate a 10 in NYC, is still out of the league of a lot of guys.)

Old 04-16-2017, 07:20 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,373,565 times
Quote:
What if the "more stable" Nice Guy™ is a fine-looking fella? Lucky me, I go the really handsome actual nice guy. I've actually never dated a "bad boy," unless band geeks, D&D and WoW nerds, or Star Wars, Star Trek, sci-fi and fantasy geeks qualify as "bad boys" in today's world.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
What if the "more stable" Nice Guyâ„¢ is a fine-looking fella? Lucky me, I go the really handsome actual nice guy. I've actually never dated a "bad boy," unless band geeks, D&D and WoW nerds, or Star Warsm Star Trek geeks, sci-fi and fantasy geeks qualify as "bad boys" in today's world.
I never mentioned bad boy

Old 04-16-2017, 07:30 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,373,565 times
Quote:
I never mentioned bad boy
We all know that "hot exciting guys" is code for "bad boys" 'round these parts.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
We all know that "hot exciting guys" is code for "bad boys" 'round these parts.
Doesn't have to at all. It could just mean really attractive guys that wouldn't commit, one night stands, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships