Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2017, 07:00 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Understand what? That to feel manly you need to date women your son's age?
They World would be a better place, if everyone would focus on their own relationships, instead of worrying about how much everyone else is getting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 07:53 PM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
Obviously, adults can date whoever they want, but I get the OP's issue.

It's all fun to fist bump someone and yell, "You go, bro!" (or whatever people do these days) when your buddy scores with some hot chick.

Most people don't want their parent to be their buddy. They want them to be a parent. And to see your parent start living for cheap thrills, status, ego, or sex instead of honor or family focus or responsibility or insert whatever noble thing he looked up to his father for before this kinda ruins that, I think.

I certainly don't think the OP should say anything or get hung up on it, but I get being disappointed and feeling awkward.
Well said.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:00 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,027,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Racing View Post
I am 20 years old guy and my dad is 43 and divorced my mom 3 years ago. He has been dating ever since and the majority of the women he dates are in their early to mid 20s and this pisses me off. My dad is a very good looking guy that looks like he is in his early to mid 30s so I can see why women like him but I am just not comfortable with him dating women that I also would be dating based on age. Should I confront him and tell him I am not comfortable with this or let him be.
I am glad your Mother is rid of him but sorry about the whole situation for your sake. It's not fair or right
He doesn't care about giving you a Step Mother

Obviously a mother would be someone old enough to give birth to you but he doesn't care about that.

Waste of time. Your Dad only cares about sex, and them being very young. He's shallow.

Last edited by NancyDrew1; 05-06-2017 at 08:45 PM..

Old 05-06-2017, 11:13 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,611,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post
I am glad your Mother is rid of him but sorry about the whole situation for your sake. It's not fair or right
He doesn't care about giving you a Step Mother

Obviously a mother would be someone old enough to give birth to you but he doesn't care about that.

Waste of time. Your Dad only cares about sex, and them being very young. He's shallow.

The mother was a cruel alcoholic who cheated on his dad with several different, much younger men.*

*I have no way of knowing if any of that is true, I'm just being self righteous and making assumptions like you.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:30 AM

7,456 posts, read 4,688,527 times
^ I liked both assumptions from NancyDrew1 and Dport7674 and have rated both positively.

My own assumption is somewhere in the middle, that the parents sacrificed for their kids to grow old and now are at a time where they can both agree to move on and find happiness for themselves.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:42 AM

971 posts, read 689,366 times
I went through this age gap dating with a little wider gap than your dad. If it bothers you, tell old dad it is weird to you and see what he says. He might not stop but it will make him think. I asked my daughter how she felt about me dating someone her age and she said go for it. I never made a spectacle of myself out in public with friends/family but everyone just knew that behind closed doors what was going on.

Good for old dad. let him have some fun. Would you rather he was sitting around moping because of the divorce?

Old 05-08-2017, 07:04 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
In the abstract, I have no problem with this, but it's different when it's a parent or other close relative. Logic doesn't come into the equation.

My then 55 year old uncle started dating and then married a woman a year younger than me when I was in college. I was 21, she was 20. It *really* gave me the uh oh feeling and I couldn't even look at him the same. That said, by the time they divorced a few years later, it was clear he was into her age more than her and was a little horrified when it turned out he had married a real life person with agency, opinions, and a mind of her own. :\ Not every much older man is going to treat younger women that way, but it was a big reason for avoiding men more than 10 years older when I was dating in my early to mid 20s. I ran into that kind of mindset far too often for my liking.

OP - I wouldn't say anything to your dad. He's an adult and can do what he want. That said, you are also allowed to feel grossed out by it.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:25 PM

7,456 posts, read 4,688,527 times
Just curious.

OP, would you be OK with it if your dad was bringing in another woman closer to his age?

Old 05-09-2017, 09:47 AM

163 posts, read 138,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
Obviously, adults can date whoever they want, but I get the OP's issue.

It's all fun to fist bump someone and yell, "You go, bro!" (or whatever people do these days) when your buddy scores with some hot chick.

Most people don't want their parent to be their buddy. They want them to be a parent. And to see your parent start living for cheap thrills, status, ego, or sex instead of honor or family focus or responsibility or insert whatever noble thing he looked up to his father for before this kinda ruins that, I think.
Exactly. And as I mentioned in my post, it depends on why the marriage ended as well.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:06 AM

8 posts, read 7,227 times
I see that half of you are giving my dad props for dating young women and the other half are on my side of the cringe side. Let me tell you all that my parents divorced 3 years ago and it was mostly amicable and my siblings and I were all in our late teens so we took it well. I have not asked my dad why he dates young women but he is the one that will tell me he is dating a 20 something year old almost like he is bragging. I just hope he does not get one of these chicks pregnant. I guess I will just let him live his life even if it it bothers me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships