Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 02:26 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,395,314 times

Advertisements

I have been dating a woman who has made some not so kind remarks about the men dating her sister and her best friend. Specifically she called them both ugly (to me personally, not to anyone else as far as I know).

We did a double date with her best friend and her friend's boyfriend. Before the date she told me the guy is ugly (physically speaking). So there we are on the date and we are walking behind her friend and she is whispering in my ear, "See how ugly he is, etc." Again, her comments could only be heard by me.

Finally, I showed her a photo of a good friend of mine as a potential set up for her friend. Her reaction, "He is ugly."

I might be old fashioned but I was raised to believe if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all. Also, it is probably not a good idea to judge people purely by their appearance, etc.

For what it is worth the lady making these "ugly" remarks is 26 years old. In addition, although I am a straight guy, I know the guy friend of mine is very successful with women and I think most women would rate him as above average in looks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 02:30 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Does she have some kind of misguided idea that calling other men ugly is a weird complement to you - as in I don't find any other guy but you attractive? As in, you don't have to worry about me going for that guy!

It does seem like weird behavior. Otherwise, does she do other things that are off-putting?

Old 05-02-2017, 02:35 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,009,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
I have been dating a woman who has made some not so kind remarks about the men dating her sister and her best friend. Specifically she called them both ugly (to me personally, not to anyone else as far as I know).

We did a double date with her best friend and her friend's boyfriend. Before the date she told me the guy is ugly (physically speaking). So there we are on the date and we are walking behind her friend and she is whispering in my ear, "See how ugly he is, etc." Again, her comments could only be heard by me.

Finally, I showed her a photo of a good friend of mine as a potential set up for her friend. Her reaction, "He is ugly."

I might be old fashioned but I was raised to believe if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all. Also, it is probably not a good idea to judge people purely by their appearance, etc.

For what it is worth the lady making these "ugly" remarks is 26 years old. In addition, although I am a straight guy, I know the guy friend of mine is very successful with women and I think most women would rate him as above average in looks.
That is a MAJOR turn-off for me because that shows that person's real character as a human being.How long can one put up with that negativity?

Old 05-02-2017, 02:39 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Regardless of what the other person looked like, her calling someone "ugly" repeatedly like that is very unattractive. It reveals an overt emphasis on outward appearance that is shallow.

I would have been like, "OK, I got it. You think he's ugly. Can we move on now???"

No thank you

Old 05-02-2017, 02:49 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times
Depends on the context it is presented within

Old 05-02-2017, 02:53 PM

3,850 posts, read 4,153,368 times
She sounds pretty ugly herself, regardless of her appearance.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:57 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post

She doesn't sound like a very nice person.
Someone who has to go around commenting on other people's looks like that...there's something wrong with her.

Sad. She probably thinks she's a good person. She's not.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:01 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,395,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Does she have some kind of misguided idea that calling other men ugly is a weird complement to you - as in I don't find any other guy but you attractive? As in, you don't have to worry about me going for that guy!
Perhaps. You could be right.

Here is something else she does which is strange: A female co-worker of her's commented that she thought I was cute. She was not pleased by this as in it made her jealous.

Also, her best friend mentioned above came up in a conversation when she mentioned the ugly boyfriend. I told her that yes her female friend is attractive. I meant it as a compliment, nothing else. She got visibly upset that I would say this. Like it made her jealous.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:07 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Astral, I think she's kind of weird, but it does seem she's trying to make sure you're not jealous.

I have to ask - are these guys really quite ugly - or is saying that about average looking guys?

Old 05-02-2017, 03:09 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
If it really bothers you, then say something. If it don't really bother you, then just ignore it and say nothing. Best to go ahead and address the issues and get it out the way, or just get used to her calling guys ugly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships