Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 07:55 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
You don't say.

Too many (not all) relationships these days between a man and woman seems like a business transaction that has a "cold" feel as I base it on the many people I've spoken to in like scenarios who tolerate it so that they can be with that woman or man and not be alone so hence the one-way street comment for each that is.
That makes no sense... particularly since...
Quote:
I would like to think that with a couple that they'll both love, care and cherish each other - I wish that for everyone seeking a long-term relationship.
The poster you were responding to doesn't WANT that. Doesn't care about feelings. At least that is what his post says.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:05 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,112,922 times
I've always wondered why so many women prefer guys who are all about having a "tough" image. They treat them like garbage, and yet the women prefer them over guys that are good to them. Does this mean that they are just as immature as the guy who can only see physical appearance in women?

Old 05-18-2017, 08:27 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
I do too from what I gather how things were a tad before my time but not because of having or even wanting the only power.

So should anyone accept that today's version of relationships are too easy to get to the way of doing the Texas Sidestep "now you see me, now you dont.
If your definition of too easy to get out of means that a woman has a choice to leave instead of putting up with a bad or abusive relationship because she doesn't have the money or power to get out, then sure.

Or a man doesn't have to put up with abusive behavior and being used because society and his job will look down on him, then sure.

Relationships only seemed better back then because people didn't have the choice to leave.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:29 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Except until when feminism came into being you hear more complaints from both men and women on different issues and subjects which in some cases divides them.

AS GOD DESIGNED imo:

Love NOT Hate towards each other.

Selflessness NOT Selfishness towards each other.

Just for starters.
The complaints boil down to women whining about men not being able to put up with the fact that women don't have to just put up with men however they are.

I feel that in time this will go away.

Remember we are only a hundred years removed from women being property. There will be a time of adjustment.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:36 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,308,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
I've always wondered why so many women prefer guys who are all about having a "tough" image. They treat them like garbage, and yet the women prefer them over guys that are good to them. Does this mean that they are just as immature as the guy who can only see physical appearance in women?
I saw this all the time in college. Those girls would ignore nice good men but loved these sorry ass men who did nothing but disrespect women. But hey these women can date whoever they want. Not my business nor do I care. At least I am single and can focus on myself not a woman.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:46 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,043,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan27 View Post
I saw this all the time in college. Those girls would ignore nice good men but loved these sorry ass men who did nothing but disrespect women. But hey these women can date whoever they want. Not my business nor do I care. At least I am single and can focus on myself not a woman.
Well, let's be more precise in our terms. Women aren't attracted to so-called bad boys. They are attracted to men who love life and are unapologetic about it. Sometimes this means inadvertently being attracted to a man who steps beyond the boundaries of what is ethical or considerate behavior.

But so-called 'nice good men' is way too often a euphemism for 'colorless and uninteresting.' That's not to say that a guy can't be nice and interesting. But too many self-described 'nice guys' lack the inherent courage to look at themselves objectively.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 05-18-2017 at 09:52 AM..

Old 05-18-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
He's not interested in facts.
He's interested in broad, sweeping generalizations about entire populations (excepting himself).
He's interested in reminiscing about the good old days (when only white males had power and everyone else is presumed to have been happier).
And he's interested in someone from a 'good family' who will pledge undying worship (because this in turn guarantees she's been trained and socially pressured to never leave him).

People don't even try to beef up their disguises anymore.

Do you teach writing lessons? You often say exactly what I am thinking.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:58 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
If your definition of too easy to get out of means that a woman has a choice to leave instead of putting up with a bad or abusive relationship because she doesn't have the money or power to get out, then sure.

Or a man doesn't have to put up with abusive behavior and being used because society and his job will look down on him, then sure.

Relationships only seemed better back then because people didn't have the choice to leave.
What interesting to me is the inherent notion in all of this that all divorce is bad. Of course, people should take their commitments seriously and have honest and open communication and try to work things out. But, if things don't work out or communication isn't there or the commitment isn't taken seriously by one or both partners, why is it so terrible to say, "you know, this isn't working. We're both unhappy, let's not do this anymore."? I heard an interview with someone on NPR a while back who said that she didn't have two failed marriages, she had two successful marriages that ran their course.

As an aside, here's an interesting article about marriage counseling in the 50s: https://aeon.co/essays/the-warped-wo...efore-feminism TL;DR: it's always the wife's fault.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:01 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
Quote:
Except until when feminism came into being you hear more complaints from both men and women on different issues and subjects which in some cases divides them.

AS GOD DESIGNED imo:

Love NOT Hate towards each other.

Selflessness NOT Selfishness towards each other.

Just for starters.
Sure, for those who believe in a god, or this particular principle. But this principle didn't exactly exist during the time of antiquity, at least not in the context of marital unions. This notion, like some others have mentioned, is a very romanticized notion of the "god-designed" love. It isn't a concept or principle designed or instituted by El/Yahweh, and if it were, billions of followers, B.C.E and C.E., have failed miserably.

Quote:

Quote:
The complaints boil down to women whining about men not being able to put up with the fact that women don't have to just put up with men however they are.

I feel that in time this will go away.

Remember we are only a hundred years removed from women being property. There will be a time of adjustment.
+1.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Well, let's be more precise in our terms. Women aren't attracted to so-called bad boys. They are attracted to men who love life and are unapologetic about it. Sometimes this means being attracted to a man who steps beyond the boundaries of what is ethical or considerate behavior.
I would not put it quite like that, though that can be true when women are young and stupid. I am more willing to work with a man who are fully into life when his unavoidable mistakes arise. Men, after all, are human. I would not STAY with someone who was unethical or inconsiderate. And let's be fair, he is going to have a different opinion of what constitutes unethical and inconsiderate. But for the right man, I would certainly ... talk to him about that. AND I would be willing to accept some humor as funny that I would not normally find funny. I would accept that my opinion of ethics is not the one and only RIGHT version of ethics and meet on middle ground...

Quote:
But so-called 'nice good men' is way too often a euphemism for 'colorless and uninteresting.' That's not to say that a guy can't be nice and interesting. But too many self-described 'nice guys' lack the inherent courage to look at themselves objectively.
I got contacted by a guy on OLD. I tried to engage him about what his interests were. NONE. ALL he did was work. But he WOULD work less if he had a woman to come home to. Um. It ain't gonna be me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships