Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 10:28 AM

926 posts, read 674,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
I just don't see how a man would be alright with his wife having sex with other dudes. It just doesn't make sense to me.
I hear ya. It doesn't make any sense to me either. But, as others on here have adamantly stated, people with viewpoints such as ours shouldn't wonder about things like this and we should just live and let live, which is what I do anyway. However, I'll always wonder why (seemingly) a lot of people engage in open/poly types of relationships because, well, I just can't wrap my head around the logic or reasoning behind it. IMO, it's okay to wonder about something and to question it...because this is how we learn about things.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:50 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,209,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post
I hear ya. It doesn't make any sense to me either. But, as others on here have adamantly stated, people with viewpoints such as ours shouldn't wonder about things like this
I don't have any problem with wondering about it. To the degree I care what anyone says on the internet, which is not a lot, I am not a fan of how it gets lambasted.

As it relates to exclusivity, it is a matter of not feeling any importance around sexual ownership for me. But lack of romantic ownership is more important to my DH.

A lot of people can't really get down with being genuinely happy for their partner in THEIR own happiness. You see this not just with sexual jealousy but with people who don't want their partners engaging in hobbies with other people or spending time with other people saving family of origin. They have to be the cause of the SHARED happiness instead of being genuinely happy for the other people. Other people just weren't built with a jealousy bone.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:53 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,344,030 times
Quote:
I hear ya. It doesn't make any sense to me either. But, as others on here have adamantly stated, people with viewpoints such as ours shouldn't wonder about things like this and we should just live and let live, which is what I do anyway. However, I'll always wonder why (seemingly) a lot of people engage in open/poly types of relationships because, well, I just can't wrap my head around the logic or reasoning behind it. IMO, it's okay to wonder about something and to question it...because this is how we learn about things.
Where has anyone adamantly stated you shouldn't wonder about anything? I haven't seen that. I've seen people answer your questions, say things like if it doesn't work for you, don't do it, nobody is forcing you to live a certain way or foisting some new, sick, crazy lifestyle on anybody. But I've not seen anyone saying you have no right to ask questions, state opinions, etc.

I'm beginning to think a lot of this has to do with imagined Christian persecution complex nonsense.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:02 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,444,574 times
Quote:
This let's me know that I'm on the right track and to not waver on my beliefs on this just because everyone else seems to be jumping on this bandwagon.
Why would you think any other way? Can't you think for yourself?

I don't let people tell me whether I'm right or wrong in anything I think -- it's my brain, my opinions, my way of life. I couldn't care less what other people think.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:04 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,037,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I'm beginning to think a lot of this has to do with imagined Christian persecution complex nonsense.

The worst. That's up there with white straight males saying society is colluding against them (while they control society).

Old 06-08-2017, 11:05 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,195,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Where has anyone adamantly stated you shouldn't wonder about anything? I haven't seen that. I've seen people answer your questions, say things like if it doesn't work for you, don't do it, nobody is forcing you to live a certain way or foisting some new, sick, crazy lifestyle on anybody. But I've not seen anyone saying you have no right to ask questions, state opinions, etc.

Griffis, here's the thing though. If your wife abided by the words of Christ which of course is the basis of Christianity, she wouldn't be currently taking advantage of you and contributing to your misery.

Without a foundation, the entire house will crumble. I can say even for myself when I think of being selfish or when I am in the process of seeking out self-gratification, I stop myself and remind myself that life isn't about me, and that there are no free passes.

Jesus is all about laugh now, cry later. A lot of people unfamiliar with the Gospel don't realize this.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Griffis, here's the thing though. If your wife abided by the words of Christ which of course is the basis of Christianity, she wouldn't be currently taking advantage of you and contributing to your misery.

I can readily admit that rejection of anything to do with christianity and the nonsense that it spews contributes heavily to my husband and my very happy marriage.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:18 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,356,163 times
Quote:
Well, I don't think "a lot" of people are living in open relationships. It's a titillating topic and as this thread demonstrates, not many people have no feelings about it. So it gets a lot of attention.

As far of the logic goes, some people consider the possibilities and conclude that the benefit of being "open" is considerably greater than the cost. Most poly people I've read about and the few I've encountered admit that there is a cost, like insecurity and misunderstandings, but they see those as challenges to overcome and not reasons to be with just one person. And sometimes they can't be overcome. But anyway, the logic is that some people consider the benefit of having more close, and yes, sexual relationships to be greater than that cost.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:19 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,195,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I can readily admit that rejection of anything to do with christianity and the nonsense that it spews contributes heavily to my husband and my very happy marriage.
What nonsense does it spew?

Would challenge you to find a better system for morality than what Christ spoke. I believe if people 100% followed the words of Christ, they would do the least amount of harm and greatest benefit to society.

Unfortunately, Christianity is only as strong as its weakest link.

I mean, take your lifestyle for example. Perhaps, one of the partners that engages in sexual activity with you has a significant other that is unaware of what is going on, but due to your lifestyle choices, they are no involved.

Who knows, maybe they are not down with the lifestyle, so they decide to beat your husband down to the point of hospitalization. If you were practicing Christianity as taught by Christ, the chances of this occurring would be for all intents and purposes, nil.

I don't understand why you have to refer to Christianity as nonsense. You know just as much about the afterlife as I do.

Old 06-08-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Well, I don't think "a lot" of people are living in open relationships. It's a titillating topic and as this thread demonstrates, not many people have no feelings about it. So it gets a lot of attention.

As far of the logic goes, some people consider the possibilities and conclude that the benefit of being "open" is considerably greater than the cost. Most poly people I've read about and the few I've encountered admit that there is a cost, like insecurity and misunderstandings, but they see those as challenges to overcome and not reasons to be with just one person.
The overcoming of them itself is an asset and benefit that outweighs the cost.

This is a decent description of part of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships