Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 08:19 PM

62 posts, read 79,846 times

Advertisements

Admittedly I'm pretty new here and I don't want to speak in general terms as every situation is unique .

However, it's really disturbing that so many threads , when it comes to problems in the relationships , the majority of advice I see is predicated toward moving on and finding someone else .

Just curious if that's because of the divorce filled society we live in and what seems normal in today's world or if it's just because for someone to have to post here , we assume that there situation must be that bad that it only makes sense to move on .

Again not saying everyone does it just sad to think that's what the world is now . Whatever happened to fighting for a relationship and trying to work things out ? Yes life is to short to be miserable but people shouldn't just quit at the smallest signs of trouble in relationships .

Again , just curious as to why the advice to move on is so common here ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 08:25 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,869,177 times
It depends on the situation and the chances for change. I agree with you that's how it seems, but a lot of people with experience can look back and see themselves in a situation similar and maybe are projecting, wishing they hadn't wasted years on the inevitably unfix-able, and just moved on. My opinion. Pick your battle and do what's best for you.

How can you feel 'pretty new here' after 4 years?

Old 07-25-2017, 08:33 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
When I advise someone to leave a relationship, it's based on clues I pick up on in their own words.

I also take into account a person's age and the general emotional maturity reflected in their approach to the issue and their reaction to the feedback they get.

Of course, I do include my own life experience and the perspective it gives me when offering advice because a lot of times you know what kinds of problems can be resolved and what kinds cannot be tolerated.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:38 PM

437 posts, read 336,408 times
We live in a more disposable world than ever before. You could make a strong arguement for maintaining a healthy relationship to be harder than ever before bc of this.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:11 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,438,836 times
When I suggest a poster 'move on' it is usually because if they continue to contact the person that already rejected them, the poster may end up with a restraining order or other undesirable outcome.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:35 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
I agree, see far too much of a "kick them to the curb" mentality here on CD. Half of the time it's from people that are pretty much clueless about relationships to begin with.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:44 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,348,750 times
99.9% of the issues presented in the this romantic forum is by people who lack the very basic ability to communicate.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:20 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
99.9% of the issues presented in the this romantic forum is by people who lack the very basic ability to communicate.
I think about 80 percent of the threads here are BS. The ones that are probably legit all would be fine if people just talked to their spouse.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:28 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,154,615 times
the reason divorce is usually suggested, is because it is way to easy to offer a stranger the easy way out. You also have kids, from dysfunctional families, who do not understand why mom stayed with her husband , who had a drinking problem, etc. Finally , a burned divorcee has a bias from their experience. Tv makes it look so easy.

It is a good idea when people come on this forum, to get opinion on personal matters. You dont really want to involve family or close friends in your business. so, the OP always has to weed out the bad advice, and take in the good advice.

I would offer advice of divorce, only in circumstances of infidelity, hardcore drug use, physical violence or manipulation, some serious offenses/ abusive conduct. No hope is no hope.

But I would not offer it for some dumb crap that can be remedy with some counseling or understanding. Most marry because of love, trust, commitment. Marriage is serious business, and if 2 people cant commit long term, or if there is some doubt, should not be getting married to begin with.

I would also not offer advice on Divorce, if it is because of outsiders meddling in an adult couples business. What business is it of anyone, besides the couple, to interfere ? It is much easier to cut out/ shut off a friend, cousins, sibling,relatives negative comments, than it is to divorce the one you love.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:45 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,584,588 times
OP, there is a good bit of bad advice given. And it is often given with a cloak of authority and certainty.

Last edited by matisse12; 07-25-2017 at 11:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships