Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 09:08 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,043,034 times

Advertisements

You don't need leadership. You need working principles and a shared value system.

The first principle is communication. You say what's on your mind and you say it ways that are not accusatory.

The second is a recognition that you are in a partnership. A relationship is a living breathing thing, and you have to sacrifice part of yourself to help it grow.

The third? It's not all about you all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 09:10 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,151,970 times
Being in a long-term marriage is like being in a band. Sometimes you're out front singing, sometimes you play the tambourine. It's never good if one person is doing all the singing. JMO.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:17 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I like this answer.

Usually, whenever I was the dominant one, it didn't work out. I need a guy I can look up to.
Can you explain what that looks like in terms of leadership? I totally get that you have to be able to respect your partner in terms of their capacity, intelligence, character and integrity. So if you have a slug a bug, that is not going to work. But what does the leadership component look like? I am just curious.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:39 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
I may not be the "leader" but I do all the planning, the buying, initiate all social activities, etc. in my current relationship.
Otherwise nothing would ever happen. Now, I usually come up with different options because I don't impose my will on him...often, anyway. Financially we are separate otherwise there would be major issues and I do think it's pretty impossible to take over someone else's money as well as being wrong in general.

I find it tiresome actually. I would prefer things be more equal so I'm not always the one responsible for making stuff happen and also responsible to be sure stuff happens RIGHT. Earlier in life I was somewhat passive so I think it's an improvement to step up - but because of that I see the "advantages" of getting to sit back and wait for things to happen and then judge things you didn't have much part in.

Now that may not be your idea of a leader. Usually I think of a leader as someone who comes up with an idea and then gives "orders" and others scurry around to make stuff happen - that is not my reality. That may be a gender thing - often in work situations women make things happen at the behest of others - it seems like they are doing stuff and they do make some decisions but they don't get to make the big decisions themselves.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:08 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
In general I run everything at home and he runs everything at work.

Anything large is a joint decision, and communication is critical.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-23-2017, 11:06 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
I never understood the point of having a default leader, or pigeonholing ourselves into roles that aren't authentic. There are some areas where I am more suited to make decisions, such as in finances, or any sort of snap decision, unencumbered by emotion or hesitancy. He's better suited to decisions that allow for a drawn-out ordeal of weighing pros, cons, and feelings. In short: we're both the leader, and one might defer to the other if the situation arises.

Old 06-23-2017, 12:42 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,377,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly9244 View Post
I personally believe that the man should lead the relationship with intelligent knowledge of his partner. Women are by nature more emotional than men and tend to lead with their hearts rather than logic in most cases. Leadership is a skill and it has to be developed. Not all women will let a man lead. Most of the time when that is true a woman does not trust her man. Trust, communication, and mutuality is needed in making decisions and leading the relationship in the right direction.
Yes, as a single 40-year-old who's managing her own assets and those of her father with dementia and making decisions that our futures hinge on, I don't know how I make it through the day without shrieking and having an emotional breakdown without a man to lead me.

Look, if you're an emotional mess, well, that's your issue. But please don't lump every woman into your little pigeonhole.

Old 06-23-2017, 01:21 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
I can't even think of what "leadership" means in the context of a romantic partnership.

Old 06-23-2017, 02:14 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilly9244 View Post
I personally believe that the man should lead the relationship with intelligent knowledge of his partner. Women are by nature more emotional than men and tend to lead with their hearts rather than logic in most cases. Leadership is a skill and it has to be developed. Not all women will let a man lead. Most of the time when that is true a woman does not trust her man. Trust, communication, and mutuality is needed in making decisions and leading the relationship in the right direction.
What?

Between a couple, I think things should be done as cooperatively and evenly as possible.

But like Ms. Mathlete, I think the person with the strength in whatever area should lead in that area and so on and so forth.

For example, I am the one who is often logically planning out every thing, doing the finances, researching XYZ, etc. because those are strong points of mine. Then when I figure out what needs to be done, if it is something my husband is good at (like talking to people) then I ask him to do it. I would say most of the time, I have the final say, but if I am indecisive I will defer to him. And honestly if it's something I don't care about, then whatever.

We always laugh because he always says, "I know whatever I pick you will always pick the opposite!"

Old 06-23-2017, 02:39 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I like this answer.

Usually, whenever I was the dominant one, it didn't work out. I need a guy I can look up to.
So is the obverse also true - he needs someone he can look down on? I'm only half kidding...someone does not have to be a leader for me to look up to them...they don't have to lead me for me to respect them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships