Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 12:44 AM

218 posts, read 172,188 times

Advertisements

Kind of based on another topic I responded to. I was wondering if being with your s/o you have gotten involved in your s/o hobbies/activities? My woman and I already share a lot of common things, we hike a lot, exercise, love to watch movies together and a lot of other things. But one thing I have slowly but surely gotten her into is video games. Granted she isn't into the first person shooter or beat 'em up type games, but she has gotten into puzzle games, adventure games, strategy games and even some role playing games. And this is someone who has hardly played any video games at all.

I don't force it on her by any means, but I do introduce games I think she'll like and she has learned a lot and become proficient with them. I introduced her to world of warcraft and...wow, she has gotten pretty good She plays as a healer primarily but that's great, they are a main component of putting together a good team (I primarily play as a Tank for those that know).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 03:36 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Video games/ World of Warcraft, huh? Well that's cool.

I cant say I really got into any of my past SO's passionate hobbies, but supported.

For i.e:

Competitive equestrian (Horses scare me)

Collecting books (I cant sit for more than a 2-3 hours reading)

Singing/ karaoke (Yeah right, Lol)

Old 06-26-2017, 10:56 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
I am always open for new stuff, especially any kinds of sports.
I draw the line with video games, that is a no-go. I would not date anyone who plays, I am into men, not boys.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:17 PM

777 posts, read 452,614 times
My current relationship is in its early stages, but we are both expanding our horizons, I think. That's a good thing, life is more interesting that way.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I am always open for new stuff, especially any kinds of sports.
I draw the line with video games, that is a no-go. I would not date anyone who plays, I am into men, not boys.
Why? The average age of someone that plays is 35. And there are a very wide variety of games one can play. How is it any worse than a man that watches NASCAR or Boxing?

Old 06-26-2017, 01:08 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debnor View Post
Why? The average age of someone that plays is 35. And there are a very wide variety of games one can play. How is it any worse than a man that watches NASCAR or Boxing?
Because even though it's massively popular, it's still not mainstream and still perceived by many as a toy that should be outgrown at some point.

I feel the same way Eve does. I would not be at all excited about dating someone who considered himself a gamer. To each his own, but it's not for me.

It's nice that your GF does it with you.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Because even though it's massively popular, it's still not mainstream and still perceived by many as a toy that should be outgrown at some point.

I feel the same way Eve does. I would not be at all excited about dating someone who considered himself a gamer. To each his own, but it's not for me.

It's nice that your GF does it with you.
That's a bit unfair, isn't it? What is it specifically about it that requires one to "outgrow" it? LOL my woman is 47 and has a huge doll collection. She still buys them to add to her collection, guess I should tell her to "outgrow" it? And I disagree with it not being mainstream. You can't watch TV, browse the web or talk to pretty much anyone under 40 that hasn't played them even then there are a lot of 40+ people that play.

I really fail to see how one should feel they must "outgrow" video games then guys that watch football, baseball, NASCAR, MMA, Golf all the time.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
That's a bit unfair, isn't it? What is it specifically about it that requires one to "outgrow" it? LOL my woman is 47 and has a huge doll collection. She still buys them to add to her collection, guess I should tell her to "outgrow" it? And I disagree with it not being mainstream. You can't watch TV, browse the web or talk to pretty much anyone under 40 that hasn't played them even then there are a lot of 40+ people that play.

I really fail to see how one should feel they must "outgrow" video games then guys that watch football, baseball, NASCAR, MMA, Golf all the time.
Dolls and video games are technically toys, so surely you can see why some people would hold the notion that adults outgrow toys, right?

I'm not advancing that argument. You asked why it's different, and I offered one explanation. There are others, but that is not a topic for the Relationships thread.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Dolls and video games are technically toys, so surely you can see why some people would hold the notion that adults outgrow toys, right?

I'm not advancing that argument. You asked why it's different, and I offered one explanation. There are others, but that is not a topic for the Relationships thread.
For the record, video games are media. In the same vein as TV, film, books and music. Those aren't 'toys'. They are entertainment. Games are just interactive entertainment.

Just like a basketball, a football or a tennis racket aren't a 'toy'. They're sports equipment.

If you want to define it basically as 'something you play with', then I guess it's a toy. Just like a piano is a toy. Or a rugby ball. Or a child.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
For the record, video games are media. In the same vein as TV, film, books and music. Those aren't 'toys'. They are entertainment. Games are just interactive entertainment.

Just like a basketball, a football or a tennis racket aren't a 'toy'. They're sports equipment.

If you want to define it basically as 'something you play with', then I guess it's a toy. Just like a piano is a toy. Or a rugby ball. Or a child.
We have different perspectives, since you apparently grew up with them while I was already an adult when they were introduced. So to someone my age (your GF's age) they were toys from the get-go. They were and still are heavily marketed to kids and are included in toy adverts with other stuff for children.

Luckily you've been able to share it with her in a positive way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships