Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 03:45 PM

426 posts, read 351,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
You mean Reggaeton? Yeah, slightly different rhythm than Flamenco

Yes, I have a rather narrow taste, I think music is a very good criterion for compatibility.

Despite being an atheist, I could even imagine being together with a Muslim woman, but not with a woman that likes music I hate
Really? That's interesting!
What if you like someone and she listens to beethoven one minute and then the next minute she puts on heavy metal. What would you do? 😂

Old 07-06-2017, 03:51 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,349,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourgermanicanish View Post
What if you like someone and she listens to beethoven one minute and then the next minute she puts on heavy metal. What would you do? 😂
My tastes in music are so varied. I would listen to Beethoven one minute and then heavy metal. I'm even beginning to like country

I never for the life of me thought I would like country, but I heard a country song I like. Sign of the times I guess.

Old 07-06-2017, 04:05 PM

426 posts, read 351,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
My tastes in music are so varied. I would listen to Beethoven one minute and then heavy metal. I'm even beginning to like country

I never for the life of me thought I would like country, but I heard a country song I like. Sign of the times I guess.
Haha that's awesome! I don't know much country music but when I hear some I tend to like it.
My taste in music is all over the place. I guess part of it depends on my mood and what I feel like listening too but also has to do with who I grew up liking and what my parents liked. My dad is more of a classical music, swing and jazz guy while my mom listens to heavy metal, Latin American music and 80's music. I like all kinds of genres but I would say that I probably lean more towards alternative rock, pop, house music, classical music and music from other countries. Hell I could even get down with some Taiwanese chanting lol I will dance that if I have too.

I also really enjoy listening to someone playing a musical instrument live. I cried like a baby when I heard a guy playing on his hammered dulcimer. That was probably the most beautiful piece of music I've ever heard in my life lol.

Old 07-06-2017, 04:07 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourgermanicanish View Post
What if you like someone and she listens to beethoven one minute and then the next minute she puts on heavy metal. What would you do? ��
I can't stand either, so she would not be for me, anyway
The thing is, I am very slow to like someone, it takes much longer than learning about someone's taste of music. So, I have never been faced with that problem. It was easy to detach myself from the Scorpions woman as she was basically still a mere acquaintance at that time.

I mean, isn't that the point of getting to know someone? Finding out whether that person is really compatible beyond superficial and obvious aspects such as looks...

Old 07-06-2017, 06:06 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,349,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I can't stand either, so she would not be for me, anyway
The thing is, I am very slow to like someone, it takes much longer than learning about someone's taste of music. So, I have never been faced with that problem. It was easy to detach myself from the Scorpions woman as she was basically still a mere acquaintance at that time.

I mean, isn't that the point of getting to know someone? Finding out whether that person is really compatible beyond superficial and obvious aspects such as looks...
Well, I myself have slowed down with age in liking someone.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:13 PM

20,395 posts, read 14,667,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've never heard of this. So I would say, "no". Most boring-looking people don't know they're boring-looking. IMO, most people look uninteresting, and average. They're not going to go out and get a tattoo, to try to stand out (that wouldn't work anyway, since so many people of a certain age have tattoos). Or a plain-Jane woman isn't going to suddenly start wearing low-cut blouses to try to get attention, unless perhaps she has low self-esteem, and thinks that will achieve something. (It usually achieves the wrong kind of attention.)

If someone avoids striking up a conversation with someone they consider to be boring-looking, that's their loss. Usually by the end of highschool or college/early-to-mid-20's, people learn not to judge a book by its cover, so to speak, and realize there's more to people than outward appearance. But life is an on-going learning experience, so it's never too late to learn and grow.
You know it's funny. When I first broke up with the ex and was looking at the prospect of dating, I talked about my preferences as they were before I met the ex. I was in a suspended mode, not really noticing others or evolving my tastes, for 18 years...so at 36, I initially thought I was looking for the kind of boy I would have liked in high school. Looking back, I have to laugh about it. My initial attempts to date failed horribly. I had to catch up, and quick!

I thought my "type" was the guy with wildly colored hair, or long hair, tattoos, piercings...someone who really stands out! Flying a freak flag proud as could be! (High school Spork talking.)

I quickly discovered that no...actually when I am face to face with such a person, I'm kinda put off, they tend to be younger and they seem...undercooked. The first time I went home with an older gentleman, even though he did not look that exciting, Wow!! I was hooked!

I'd found my type. It was not what I thought it was.

Regarding musical tastes: I like many kinds of rock except for hair metal (ugh, no) and I like upbeat jazzy stuff and orchestra music, love 80's geek pop, goth music, and have recently fallen absolutely in love with Steampunk music (the band Abney Park blows my mind!) I have enjoyed the very rare country or rap/hiphop/r&b song. I like techno, trance, and other electronica alright. Don't like boy bands or poppy radio divas. Do not enjoy reggae and very rarely like acoustic folk. I don't listen to the radio very much.

I would not only be put off by a date who was VERY into a genre of music that I really don't like, and did not like my favorite genres, but it would be way worse if he dressed the part. So no thanks to the cowboy look, or if he looked like he just stepped out of a rap video. Those would be early, early indicators that we need go no further...we're done here.

To some extent, if one's clothing choices are strongly indicative of one's preferences and if those preferences put me off, then I would figure we just were not going to be compatible and that would have been the end of it. But they do not necessarily have to be openly flagging similar tastes to mine...and I quite like it when my partner can introduce me to new things that I do like, in similar genres to what I already prefer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships