Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 03:11 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,651,187 times

Advertisements

Full disclosure: I've been married, but now divorced. I got married cause that was the "next step" or "thing to do", and she wanted to. I guess the real question is other than for religious reasons or just cause you think its the thing to do, what reason is there for getting married?

It is basically a contract with you and the state government, and then a pain to get out of it. I don't think it is the government's role to legislate whether I'm in a relationship or not. Most relationships don't last that long, so what is really the point.

I'm not trying to offend anyone who is happily married for "x" years (great that it lasted), but that usually isn't the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 03:14 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,609,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
Full disclosure: I've been married, but now divorced. I got married cause that was the "next step" or "thing to do", and she wanted to. I guess the real question is other than for religious reasons or just cause you think its the thing to do, what reason is there for getting married?

It is basically a contract with you and the state government, and then a pain to get out of it. I don't think it is the government's role to legislate whether I'm in a relationship or not. Most relationships don't last that long, so what is really the point.

I'm not trying to offend anyone who is happily married for "x" years (great that it lasted), but that usually isn't the case.
Government also bases how much the exact same amount of income is taxed on whether someone is married or not. Plus a lot of other fiscal policies that are almost always beneficial to the marrieds and a detriment to single people:

https://blogs.psychcentral.com/singl...ery-other-day/

Old 07-23-2017, 03:16 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:

Actually it is. First marriages, by a rather significant amount, last. Those odds increase if you marry someone as an adult (post 30) and you're both educated. So, wait and make an informed choice, and marry as an adult, and the odds are overwhelming that it will last.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Government also bases how much the exact same amount of income is taxed on whether someone is married or not. Plus a lot of other fiscal policies that are almost always beneficial to the marrieds and a detriment to single people:

https://blogs.psychcentral.com/singl...ery-other-day/
Ok, so get married for the tax reasons. There barely our any. I won't go into the fact that I paid for most stuff into my marriage so it cost me more then it was worth.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Actually it is. First marriages, by a rather significant amount, last. Those odds increase if you marry someone as an adult (post 30) and you're both educated. So, wait and make an informed choice, and marry as an adult, and the odds are overwhelming that it will last.
I was 30 when I got married and she was a little younger. I was pretty informed, but can you give me a good reason why I should get married and why it would benefit someone?

Old 07-23-2017, 03:40 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:

Commitment has both positives and negatives.

It's very easy to see the positives about something until ... you lose that initial rush, etc, and begin to view it from the negative standpoint.

Marriage is important BECAUSE it's a public institution. When you stand up before friends and family and a religious officiant and sign legal documents, it's a really big deal. It's much more than just a private promise between two people. It's like announcing to the world that you are a committed couple and asking that your commitment be respected. That benefits society as a whole

There is so much "gray area" in our world today where people like to hover and pretend that certain rules don't matter, that as long as I'm not hurting or bothering anyone else then whatever I want to do works.

But the truth is that marriage can be a symbolic reminder to the spouses of the bounds of their relationship. This would seem to be limiting at first, but in fact that kind of commitment can be very freeing, and that's what people who aren't married don't get to experience.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:42 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
I was pretty informed, but can you give me a good reason why I should get married and why it would benefit someone?
How can we know what you would consider a "good" reason?

There are published studies that show benefits of marriage:

https://www.theknot.com/content/benefits-of-marriage

The Financial Benefits of Marriage - Consumer Reports

Marriage Benefits: Men, Take Note | National Review

Old 07-23-2017, 03:51 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,371,533 times
Why does it matter why others choose to get married or whatever else if it doesn't affect you? Questions like these seem to come from a place of bitterness because it didn't work out for you, or things ended badly, so then it must be a crap shoot altogether.

People marry for their own reasons, whatever those may be. Mr. Meta and I aren't religious. Our elopement ceremony was a handfasting. We wrote our own vows and all that good stuff. It carries symbolic meaning that we value for our commitment to each other. We're also sentimental romantic types. We found what we were looking for in each other, and it's pretty amazing.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:53 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
I was 30 when I got married and she was a little younger. I was pretty informed, but can you give me a good reason why I should get married and why it would benefit someone?
The point you are making here is one I came to as well, as soon as I finally and permanently severed ties with my now ex husband. The process of removing myself from the marriage made me fully aware of what it takes, never mind the massive net loss financially and otherwise to myself and our son. My conclusion back then, in 2003, was that the pros had damn better outweigh the cons (by like 5 to 1) for me to agree to another wedding. Hasn't happened thus far (not that I'm actually in pursuit of such) and I'm perfectly fine with that. Actually, never better.

I don't punch down, and I (now) refuse to date down either. If it means I won't find someone who's right for me, so be it. I'm never going to carry water for or bankroll another man again, of that I'm certain.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:54 PM

130,332 posts, read 12,112,869 times
If you don't want to get married, then don't. Live & let live. I like being married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships