Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 05:35 PM

37 posts, read 21,876 times

Advertisements

I have no problem keeping my puppy off the bed, it's the other way around I can't get a gf in bed.

Seriously though he sleeps in my bed once I go to bed for about 20 minutes then he sleeps on the floor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 05:57 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,955,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
No, just closing the door doesnt work. There is whining (I could just turn on music) but also SCRATCHING.

The crate is a good idea but it will also cause whining and barking. But yeah, sounds good!!
That tells me the guy sucks at training his dog.

You should just find someone who has the same views in restrictions

Old 08-02-2017, 06:02 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
You don't have a boyfriend now. Why are you discussing this hypothetical dog scenario? I think you just need to date guys who will conform to your dog-free bedroom philosophy from now on.

As for the people who say they don't understand why the need to bring the dog everywhere, I lived over a guy who would go over to his girlfriend's house and leave the poor dog crated there overnight. The poor thing was MISERABLE, whining, crying, and barking for hours on end. It was just cruel. If the boyfriend's dog is going to be like that when he is left for that long, then he really should not be left alone. If you're close enough though, it would seem like you could just pop back over to check in every so often and let the dog out.
Maybe she sleeps with non-boyfriend-type people. ?

Old 08-02-2017, 06:21 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
3)we got a new, very high bed (I had to, as I got my own place)-
its hard for his dog to get up on it (he has some joint issues ) so he quit trying...
I also have a high bed and Cheech really has no trouble jumping up when he wants...
however, when he was a pup he couldn't quite make it and required some help.

At bedtime though he reverts to his puppy memory and asks for help.
It's sorta cute.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:57 PM

358 posts, read 208,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
I tried doing the closed door thing at first but I got the same reaction. I just said heck with it, if you want in you have to behave. And so he does.
You just gotta be clever with pets. Our cats used to wake us up every morning at 6:30am (including the weekends) because that's when we gave them wet food. All it took is changing their feeding time to afternoons and we could sleep in on a Sunday. You could probably train the dog using Pavlovs methods as well.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:08 PM

287 posts, read 363,522 times
My dog is absolutely forbidden from sleeping on the bed. I tell him that every night. Unfortunately he doesn't speak english. At least he usually stays on my wife's side.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:21 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,867,792 times
The crying and scratching on the other side drives me nuts. Butterz and I decided the guy could come in if he quit snoring.

Don't worry about it Eve, if he's really into you, he'll follow the rules, if not-- let him cry on the other side

Old 08-02-2017, 10:30 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,611,888 times
Quote:
Anyone has a solution?

You turn to the man and say "I don't want your dog in my f*****g bed. Don't make me say it again."

Old 08-03-2017, 12:14 AM

437 posts, read 336,334 times
Quote:
So this other thread had me wondering.

I have a lovely 55lb dog. She sleeps in her own bed in my bedroom.

I have been dating guys whose dogs sleep in their owners bed. The older I get, the less I want to wake up at night, with a dog butt in my face or him licking his wiener while resting on my pillow right next to me. No. Just no.

I thought I can avoid this scenario by inviting the guy over to my house. It is pretty tough to tell him not to bring the dog while my own dog is with me wherever I go.

So he comes over with the dog, sleeps over and asks me if dog can come in my bed. No. Okay. It is getting late, I let the dogs out for the last pee and his dog comes back in, with his stuff still being moist, jumping right into the bed. Gross. I kiss my dog onto the mouth but I dont want dog pee in my bed.

We get busy while he kicks the dog off the bed about 50x and whenever we are not looking, the dog comes back up. dogs are relentless. He gives up. I keep pushing the dog off. By that time, I am not even in the mood anymore. So it usually ends up with the dog somewhere in the bed and in the middle of the night I wake up with the dog near my face and me washing the sheets the next day.

Anyone has a solution? I would kick the dog off until he no longer comes into the bed or leash him. Has anyone ever tried this without seeming like a total jerk towards the dog owner?
Make the bedroom dog free. And/or have the dogs sleep outside in a warm kennel.

Like it or not, but your house is a valuable asset many would say far more an important asset than your dogs. By having your dogs basically live in your house, it takes its toll on the house.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:17 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden87 View Post
Make the bedroom dog free. And/or have the dogs sleep outside in a warm kennel.

Like it or not, but your house is a valuable asset many would say far more an important asset than your dogs. By having your dogs basically live in your house, it takes its toll on the house.
Agreed - when people have indoor dogs, they actually believe visitors can't tell. We can. Every time.

We have had pet dogs and they've always been outdoor only dogs. This isn't a problem in Southern California as it never gets so cold that they'd need to be brought indoors. I don't need a dog tearing up my carpets, wall, fixtures, furniture, etc.

I don't mind pets, but I don't want them in my house. I've lived with three Persian kitties at once, indoors of course, and the three of them didn't cause as much wear and tear (and odor issues) as a single dog would have, but I won't do that again either. Pets are great, adorable, heartwarming, you name it. I guess I'm like a grandparent is with the grandkids in that regard...I love to visit with them and spend some time with them, but then I want to go home.

I don't mind cats indoors, provided they are well cared for, I'll even share my boyfriend's bed with a cat or two. I can't with a dog though. The scenario Eve described about the dog licking itself two inches from her face, dripping dog **** into the bed, etc. is just too much. I'd think the guy is not the right one for me if he isn't fazed by such things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships