Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 10:10 AM

19 posts, read 25,892 times

Advertisements

So many of my coworkers at the office are always telling me how hard they are working on their marriages. The common refrain is a good marriage is really hard and takes lots of work. Anything of value has a price.

I don't know if I agree. My marriage to my husband is really good and we don't work that hard at it at all, it just comes naturally. Because we are compatible we are able to make decisions that impact both of us easily because we think alike. Our moods and communications styles are the same. We have the same basic interests and viewpoint towards money.

Why all this talk about hard work? Marriages that last and are successful come easily because of compatibility!

Do you agree or disagree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 10:14 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That's my question View Post
So many of my coworkers at the office are always telling me how hard they are working on their marriages. The common refrain is a good marriage is really hard and takes lots of work. Anything of value has a price.

I don't know if I agree. My marriage to my husband is really good and we don't work that hard at it at all, it just comes naturally. Because we are compatible we are able to make decisions that impact both of us easily because we think alike. Our moods and communications styles are the same. We have the same basic interests and viewpoint towards money.

Why all this talk about hard work? Marriages that last and are successful come easily because of compatibility!

How long have you been married?

Old 01-11-2011, 10:20 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,197,050 times
Quote:

i disagreee 100% but i guess there's marriages that aren't much work. like if one person is submissive all of the time i guess it's easy to let one person run everything. my wife is a very strong individual and has her own ways and opinions. i'm the same way so we have to work and compromise all of the time.
it's work and it's worth it. congratulations on your ideal situation.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:22 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Op, I agree. I think if you find someone you adore AND you are already on the same wavelength about *everything*, then it's not much work. My wife and I are this way...there's really not much about life we disagree on...so that diminishes conflict enormously. Most especially because we are completely on the same page with $$$. THAT seems to be the big argument everyone else is having.

Also, both of us are good at putting our pride away when it comes to someone having a problem - we feel safe bringing up topics of contention and we can discuss them rationally and without feeling we are in enemy camps.

The work part comes in avoiding complacency. It's hard for some people (myself included) to be nice all the time, be polite all the time, be considerate all the time. Again, I am lucky bc my wife makes it really easy and she is incredibly thoughtful when it comes to taking care of me, but you can see how it would be tough if this wasn't your nature in the first place.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:36 AM

727 posts, read 540,562 times
I think this is personality question. How one match with another, is there need for compromices or are lifestyles and opinions so same that life goes on like a dance.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:37 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,475,163 times
I agree that hard work is NOT always needed, if you're really compatible and have each other's best interests and happiness at heart. As opposed, for example, to being self-centered or righteous. Of course, there are occasionally situations that require some of this "work," but they are infrequent for us. Mostly, the only effort I notice being needed - most of the time - is to refrain from saying something that may be taken negatively - it either doesn't need to be said, or can be phrased better. (We've been together over 11 years, if that matters, and neither of us is submissive or aggressive. Our values and priorities are very similar.)

Old 01-11-2011, 10:38 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,646,492 times
Quote:

Even the best marriages require some amount of work. But you have to keep in mind what each person considers hard work. IMO, a lot of people like to think they're working hard, but they're really not. They just want things to come easy and the moment they have to do any kind of work, they complain about it. Sure if you marry the wrong person, you'll have to work harder to keep that marriage alive. But work is almost a foreign concept to some people. They get into a relationship and think they can just coast, that all the heavy lifting is behind them. They're naive because they buy into this idea that love conquers all and that if you're with the right person, you shouldn't have to do anything.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:13 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,273,223 times
The better the marriage, the less work the relationship itself requires. That's not to say that there is no work involved, but ideally, the work has more to do with facing life's troubles together--job loss, grief, financial strain, illness and injury--than facing each other.

Aside from natural compatibility and common values, I think the couples who succeed with seemingly little effort are those who have learned to pick their battles and not sweat the small stuff.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:18 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
The better the marriage, the less work the relationship itself requires. That's not to say that there is no work involved, but ideally, the work has more to do with facing life's troubles together--job loss, grief, financial strain, illness and injury--than facing each other.

Aside from natural compatibility and common values, I think the couples who succeed with seemingly little effort are those who have learned to pick their battles and not sweat the small stuff.
Picking battles is important.

Even more important, I think, is realizing that you're always on the same team. I don't know about you guys, but I don't want anything but the best for my wife and for her to feel awesome and happy all the time. I assume she feels the same way for me. So you have to try to remember that the person you're dealing with isn't some enemy who wants something that isn't in your best interests. It's your partner...your success is their success and vice versa.

I think people forget that a lot and it's me me me me me me me...or they get petty and have to be right or prove a point or something.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:50 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,044,201 times
There will come a time when you will be tested. Life will just do that to you. Use the good times to develop good communication skills. You will need them down the road.

It's not work all of the time. Just some of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships