Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 08:16 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,119,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles76 View Post
I wouldn't know, and I hope to God I don't find out. In my mind there's only one thing more intolerable than reading or writing about love, and that's finding yourself in the midst of it with all capacity for reason and logical thought having deserted you.
Thats because it feels so good, and makes everything else seem great.
they have done studies where they compare the brains of people in new relationships with people on drugs, and the same parts of the brain are lit up, the most similar was with the brains of people high on LSD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 01:35 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,643,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atrueloveme View Post
Pop media does not always portray realistic relationships. Most romantic stories are written to make viewers empathetic, but are often just made-up fantasies. Sure, you might see a boy chasing after a girl in a subway, like they do in movies; but unlike in movies, they don’t usually end with a kiss. In real life, it ends with a restraining order against the guy. That’s just one thing that romantic movies get wrong about relationships.

Another example is how there always has to be a third party, a rival for true love, a love triangle. Romantic movies introduce such characters in order to add tension and conflict (which I understand are needed to tell an engaging story), but most real-life relationships are already beset by common problems such as debt, bills, and whose turn is it to take out the trash. Not all real-life relationships have a love triangle, and if some do, then it’s usually resolved during the courtship stage.

Speaking of debt and bills, why is it that there’s always a difference in status between the couple? Like how the guy is a rich, pampered descendant of a Welsh royal—King Arthur himself even—and the girl is just from down the corner of Edison, New Jersey, or vice versa. It just adds more fantasy to the story.

But despite all of my gripes about what romantic movies get wrong about relationships, I still enjoy watching them. I have fun rooting for the guy chasing for the girl in the subway. I celebrate when the guy triumphs over the rival and wins the girl’s hand. I swoon when the man of lordly caliber sweeps the pauper girl off of her feet and marries her despite the gap in their station. I enjoy romantic movies for what they are—made-up fantasies.

Do you have any suggestions on good romantic movies that portray relationships realistically? Let me know.
Many movies are unrealistic. But there are some that shows realistic marital problems and infidelity or divorce: Kramer vs Kramer, Unfaithful, Stepdad, Stepmom, Parenthood, Just Married, Knocked Up, etc.

I think the realistic view marriage is centered upon the five general phases (in my own words):
(1) the honeymoon phase - courtship (this can last a couple of years - maybe longer or shorter).
(2) the back-down-to-earth phase when realism sets in and the relationship becomes routine.
(3) Major differences in lifestyle arise: politics, religion, parenthood, work goals, academic goals, in-laws, etc.
(4) The differences discovered in three coupled with the routine loss-of-courtship-passion lead to a major crisis. There can be infidelity, financial meltdown, separation, family conflicts, parental conflicts, loss-of-job, etc. that heighten the problems. Divorce is highly possible at this stage. It's a phase of challenge to the relationship with a major crisis that needs to be resolved.
(5) Marital bliss in spite of the previous phases. The older couple has survived the turmoil and developed realism and adjustments (compromises) to enable the relationship to survive and thrive to old age. Most couples never make it to this phase. Many marriages just fail or become rudderless by phase 4 and never recover.

This film had good realism pushed onto a young couple by older experienced couples who knew arguments were inevitable despite the early stage of courtship (phase 1) when it doesn't seem possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQw-UbNtDYo

Old 10-01-2017, 02:14 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,076,154 times
Then, in 1962, there was "It Happened at the World's Fair" in which a Japanese-American truck farmer naively entrusts Elvis Presley and his male friend, whom he had just newly met that day, to take the farmer's little daughter with them to the Seattle World's Fair for a few days. They had no way to contact each other, as that was long before the age of cell-phones....The farmer entrusted Elvis and his friend to hand the girl back to him at a pre-determined time and place..... How did he trust that they weren't child molesters?

Last edited by slowlane3; 10-01-2017 at 02:31 PM..

Old 10-01-2017, 04:34 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
Many movies are unrealistic. But there are some that shows realistic marital problems and infidelity or divorce: Kramer vs Kramer, Unfaithful, Stepdad, Stepmom, Parenthood, Just Married, Knocked Up, etc.

I think the realistic view marriage is centered upon the five general phases (in my own words):
(1) the honeymoon phase - courtship (this can last a couple of years - maybe longer or shorter).
(2) the back-down-to-earth phase when realism sets in and the relationship becomes routine.
(3) Major differences in lifestyle arise: politics, religion, parenthood, work goals, academic goals, in-laws, etc.
(4) The differences discovered in three coupled with the routine loss-of-courtship-passion lead to a major crisis. There can be infidelity, financial meltdown, separation, family conflicts, parental conflicts, loss-of-job, etc. that heighten the problems. Divorce is highly possible at this stage. It's a phase of challenge to the relationship with a major crisis that needs to be resolved.
(5) Marital bliss in spite of the previous phases. The older couple has survived the turmoil and developed realism and adjustments (compromises) to enable the relationship to survive and thrive to old age. Most couples never make it to this phase. Many marriages just fail or become rudderless by phase 4 and never recover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQw-UbNtDYo
Most of your #3 points should have been "discovered" and worked out during the "honeymoon"/courtship phase. If some of those issues reveal incompatibilities, then the courtship is called off, and both people move on. More realistic as a #3 point would be: kids, sudden change in work/career goals, decision to go back to school, loss of employment, or death in the family.

Old 10-01-2017, 05:00 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,406,431 times
I'm not all that into chick flicks or rom-coms except for maybe SATC (so sue me), but I HAVE watched "Revenge of the Nerds" countless times, and thought it funny that all a dork like Lewis Skolnick had to do to steal Betty away from her football player boyfriend was steal his Darth Vader costume and put the moves on her in that bouncy-castle thing at the college fair. I liked Gilbert a lot better because he kept it real and stuck by his accordion-playing Omega Mu.

Old 10-01-2017, 05:18 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Most of your #3 points should have been "discovered" and worked out during the "honeymoon"/courtship phase. If some of those issues reveal incompatibilities, then the courtship is called off, and both people move on. More realistic as a #3 point would be: kids, sudden change in work/career goals, decision to go back to school, loss of employment, or death in the family.
For me, #3 was covered before the first date. Didn't have to waste time fleshing out important information and details.

Old 10-01-2017, 05:43 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
For me, #3 was covered before the first date. Didn't have to waste time fleshing out important information and details.
I don't what's the matter with me, whenever I read the term "fleshing out" I have images of Ed Gein. That's my kind of story.

Old 10-01-2017, 05:55 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
All kinds of odd in the OP.

For me it's simple, if you are the kind of person that didn't like or get the movie, "The Big Lebowski" we can't really move forward as a couple.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:01 PM

639 posts, read 376,408 times
Hallmark comes to mind. It portrays an unrealistic reality.. and then it becomes the new standard.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:42 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westegg View Post
Are these silent movies?

Yeah but only on the female actress dialog. Now it's called a action movie

The major thing romantic movies/comedies have wrong the fact that the guy doesn't always get the girl. Sometimes she goes off with the other guy and lives happily ever after too. But we always root for the underdog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships