Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 04:16 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Sounds like a sensible-sounding theory your biology teacher told you. Reality is often quite different.

And any half decent biology teacher wouldn't have said that at all, since it isn't what biology shows us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 04:17 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles XII View Post
Actually, people are always attracted to those in their own league. So probably he just believes himself to be in a lower league than what he actually is, and this is showing up when he approaches women in his own league (in form of self doubt/nervousness).

Biology at work. The genes want to reproduce. They will make sure that you are attracted to the opposite gender of equal attractiveness to your own.

huh? so not true.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:48 PM

88 posts, read 61,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Brad Pitt's a "beta." Lolol Why does it really matter what he is? He's obviously not hurting for attention.
True, I guess not hurting for attention is an attractive trait. But seriously the guy is a tool and dumb as rocks. I'm not envious or anything, I am simply just wondering what the deal is with Brad Pitt and why he is considered so attractive. It would be nice to hear from a woman about this.

Quote:
And any half decent biology teacher wouldn't have said that at all, since it isn't what biology shows us.
It may be more true for men than for women. Women seem to all go for the same kind of guys. Not so with men. There are a lot of women (I'd say, probably 70-75% of the ones out there in the ages of 18-35) that I wouldn't consider attractive whatsoever. I wouldn't touch them. But many men sleep with these women and marry them as well. So someone who considers himself less attractive than I consider myself, will have no problem being attracted to these women (and guys like Brad Pitt probably isn't attracted to the same kind of women that I am attracted to. He's simply on another level).

If everyone was just attracted to the people in the top tier league (men/women), then we'd have no happy marriages or couples with less than perfectly attractive people.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:39 PM

926 posts, read 673,709 times
Quote:
Actually, people are always attracted to those in their own league. So probably he just believes himself to be in a lower league than what he actually is, and this is showing up when he approaches women in his own league (in form of self doubt/nervousness).

Biology at work. The genes want to reproduce. They will make sure that you are attracted to the opposite gender of equal attractiveness to your own.

P.S. Why do women find Brad Pitt attractive? He is seriously dumb and a total tool/beta. I get that he's famous and he's got a good jawline, I guess those are the only reasons.

To the OP: I kinda get what you are saying. But women are like that. They are scared of talking to men. Yes they like confidence in men because they usually lack it themselves. But I think that's just cute. You should've talked to her.
Hmm...."interesting" post.

1) People are always attracted to people in their own league? Ha, that's laughable. You only need to read the hundreds (possibly even thousands) of posts from a lot of the sad guys on here who would tell you otherwise.

2) DF? Um, biology makes sure you're attracted to the BEST genes possible, and that usually means a HIGHER attractiveness level than what most people are.

3) Women find Brad Pitt attractive because....he's HOT. If you're a guy, you wouldn't understand that. Who gaf if he beta or w/e? Even though he got older, I'd still hit THAT. How do you know he's 'dumb'? Soundin' like somebody be jelly...

4) Most women aren't 'scared' of talking to guys. It's just that, if we DO approach a guy, we labeled a ho. If we don't approach a guy and talk to him, we're considered 'aloof' and not worth the guy's time to drop us a line even though we dropping hints to him without fail. We can't win. But, that's a good thing though...because the kind of guys who expect us to approach them and they don't even acknowledge our presence are guys we eliminate post haste...which leaves all the other intelligent and confident guys who CAN take a hint and end up approaching us.

5) So, you think women 'usually lack confidence'? lol Guys usually are the ones who approach us...that's the way it's been for thousands of years. See #4 as to why we don't approach guys...because when we do, they always think we're something we're not and they always think we want something more than just wanting to talk to them.

Judging by your post, you seem like an elderly man...which would explain why you don't understand anything about attraction or how things work between guys and women.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:50 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
If everyone was just attracted to the people in the top tier league (men/women), then we'd have no happy marriages or couples with less than perfectly attractive people.
No one is saying everyone's attracted only to the top 30% or so. You were saying earlier that people are automatically attracted to their own league appearance-wise, so others responded that that simply isn't true. Some are, others are only attracted to those more attractive than they are themselves. If they have an engaging personality, that might not be a problem. If they're shy or awkward, they're going to be in for some lonely years. Humanity is a very mixed bag. There is no universally-applicable rule, regarding who's attracted to what type.

Old 10-16-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post
Hmm...."interesting" post.

1) People are always attracted to people in their own league? Ha, that's laughable. You only need to read the hundreds (possibly even thousands) of posts from a lot of the sad guys on here who would tell you otherwise.

2) DF? Um, biology makes sure you're attracted to the BEST genes possible, and that usually means a HIGHER attractiveness level than what most people are.

3) Women find Brad Pitt attractive because....he's HOT. If you're a guy, you wouldn't understand that. Who gaf if he beta or w/e? Even though he got older, I'd still hit THAT. How do you know he's 'dumb'? Soundin' like somebody be jelly...

4) Most women aren't 'scared' of talking to guys. It's just that, if we DO approach a guy, we labeled a ho. If we don't approach a guy and talk to him, we're considered 'aloof' and not worth the guy's time to drop us a line even though we dropping hints to him without fail. We can't win. But, that's a good thing though...because the kind of guys who expect us to approach them and they don't even acknowledge our presence are guys we eliminate post haste...which leaves all the other intelligent and confident guys who CAN take a hint and end up approaching us.

5) So, you think women 'usually lack confidence'? lol Guys usually are the ones who approach us...that's the way it's been for thousands of years. See #4 as to why we don't approach guys...because when we do, they always think we're something we're not and they always think we want something more than just wanting to talk to them.

Judging by your post, you seem like an elderly man...which would explain why you don't understand anything about attraction or how things work between guys and women.
I would think elderly men would understand a lot about attraction between men and women. After all, they have a lifetime of experience . But no, I'm in my late 20s.

1. How do you know these guys are going after something out of their leagues? Have you seen them? Do you know them? Many women seem to think that they deserve Brad Pitt. But no, they don't. Online dating sites and social media has created a fake reality for women where they are messaged by hundreds (if not thousands) of guys. All of a sudden they believe that because the guys messaged them, then they must be really attractive (which is not true, because most guys would sleep with pretty anything if horny enough).

2. Well not really, see my post above about this. The genes know that you won't ever procreate with someone MUCH more attractive than yourself. Therefore, you won't even try.

3. Ok, he's hot. Great explanation .

4. Yeah that's true. They may not be scared of talking to guys. But they are really afraid of being rejected. That's for sure. Many (maybe most) guys are too, but women are on another level. It's understandable though. I used to live in Hong Kong a couple of years ago, and women there really liked me for some reason (Asian women tend to like white men). With the amount of attention I got, I kind of got a feel for how it is to be a woman. Your ego kind of builds up from all the attention that you are scared of losing that ego by approaching someone and getting rejected. I think this happens to a lot of women.

5. You're probably right about that point.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:04 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCaper View Post
I don't know how other guys do it. I can't imagine dating someone who sits around like an object waiting for everything to be done for them. If you don't to be considered a sexual object, show some personality and back bone.
Troubling. So women who are shy or unassertive should be considered sexual objects? How about you shouldn't consider anyone only a sexual object? They are people with wants and fears and consent capability.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No one is saying everyone's attracted only to the top 30% or so. You were saying earlier that people are automatically attracted to their own league appearance-wise, so others responded that that simply isn't true. Some are, others are only attracted to those more attractive than they are themselves. If they have an engaging personality, that might not be a problem. If they're shy or awkward, they're going to be in for some lonely years. Humanity is a very mixed bag. There is no universally-applicable rule, regarding who's attracted to what type.
Well that's probably because they think they belong to a higher league than the one they're actually in. So they're delusional. Sometimes it works to be delusional. The confidence it gives you can help you swoop someone up who is objectively more attractive than yourself.

Then of course, I guess there are some people who are very unattractive, who know they are very unattractive, and still believe they should get supermodels (or supermen). I think those people are rare and they probably suffer from some mental illness.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:16 PM

926 posts, read 673,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
Troubling. So women who are shy or unassertive should be considered sexual objects? How about you shouldn't consider anyone only a sexual object? They are people with wants and fears and consent capability.
Um, I honestly think that the OP missed that memo a loonnngg time ago. But, IF a woman finally DOES approach him and DOES try to strike up a convo with him (and that's a big "if"), he's gonna next her because he's gonna think she's "too forward and too aggressive" (read: a ho). With damaged guys like that, a woman can't ever win.

Don'tcha know? We're not considered to be 'people' by a lot of these types of guys, much less a human being that has wants, fears and consent capability...we're only an empty vessel for them to use as they please.

Old 10-16-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post
Don'tcha know? We're not considered to be 'people' by a lot of these types of guys, much less a human being that has wants, fears and consent capability...we're only an empty vessel for them to use as they please.
Oh come on, men are "objectified" by women as much as the other way around. Usually there's just more to it than looks in that "package". Like money, status, height. We're just judging the other sex depending on what's best for our genes future survival. Men want young and fertile women (and anything that proves that, like blond hair, big firm breasts and nice skin), and women want a man who can provide for her offspring and fend off attackers. Not much more to it than that.

Obviously after the initial evaluation based on those criteria, personality match will play a big part. But that always comes second, even for women judging men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships