Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How long did the honeymoon stage last in your relationship?
3 months 7 23.33%
6 months 2 6.67%
9 months 1 3.33%
1 year 1 3.33%
A year and a half 2 6.67%
2 years 2 6.67%
More than 2 years 15 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 04:59 AM

1,381 posts, read 1,774,367 times

Advertisements

I wanted to set up a poll for this one, as I know the answer varies by couple. Please feel free to chime in.

How long was it before you realized the relationship was losing its "new car smell"?

Do you ever miss that stage, even though you're happy with how things are now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 05:33 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
...as long as the sex is good, at least some of the remnants of the "honeymoon phase" are there. That varies from relationship to relationship. Good sex can keep a good relationship going through tough times but...yeah.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:37 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Our relationship has never smelled like a new car.
As far as the reference to the *honeymoon stage * goes,
we are reality based factual logical adults who have lived our lives
in reality from day one, not in the *fantasy land* you speak of.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:34 AM

12,860 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Our relationship has never smelled like a new car.
As far as the reference to the *honeymoon stage * goes,
we are reality based factual logical adults who have lived our lives
in reality from day one, not in the *fantasy land* you speak of.
Boy, that sounds like a boatload of fun.

Why can't "reality-based, factual, logical adults" have a honeymoon phase? Most of us here are adults living in the real world. In my experience, in a healthy relationship, partners provide a sense of equilibrium to each other. They can certainly contribute to the stresses of daily life at times, but they also provide relief and support when things aren't going well. Even the most grounded, "logical" adults should feel the butterflies and excitement of a new relationship. I think that if you've never felt the thrill of a new relationship, you've got a partner and little else.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:07 AM

6,560 posts, read 8,391,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
I wanted to set up a poll for this one, as I know the answer varies by couple. Please feel free to chime in.
So I had to look up the definition of "Honeymoon Stage" to get some context. And this is the first thing that popped up.

"The honeymoon period tends to last anywhere between 6 months and a year. The relationship still feels fresh and exciting, and you're constantly learning new things about each other and having first experiences together. But there comes a point when suddenly you've done all that stuff together already."

We've been together for 18 1/2 years, married for 10 of those. I'll address it in sections:

"The honeymoon period tends to last anywhere between 6 months and a year."

We are well beyond that time period.

"The relationship still feels fresh and exciting..."

Our relationship doesn't feel fresh, but it's definitely not stale either. And we certainly still have exciting times together.

"...and you're constantly learning new things about each other and having first experiences together."

There probably isn't anything "new" that I can learn about him. We definitely still have first experiences together. We travel some (when work and money allows us to), we have regular date nights. We are lucky to live in an area that has a plethora of things to do and see. We went to the symphony for the very first time last month!

"But there comes a point when suddenly you've done all that stuff together already."

Maybe when we're much older? There's so much that's available to be experienced in life and he's the number one person I want to experience things with, that I can't imagine we'll "be done with all that stuff" anytime soon.

And it's not even first experiences, it can be things we very much enjoy doing over and over again like traveling to a certain city. <--I still get excited over doing these things with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
Do you ever miss that stage, even though you're happy with how things are now?
I do not miss the early years of our relationship. We are much more stable now, confident and secure in who we are individually as well as a couple.

I just want to add the caveat to the above since it reads like we're always rainbows and unicorns - we are not perfect, we have our occasional disagreements and arguments. We occasionally get on each other's nerves . We have challenges that life throws our way.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Boy, that sounds like a boatload of fun.

Why can't "reality-based, factual, logical adults" have a honeymoon phase? Most of us here are adults living in the real world. In my experience, in a healthy relationship, partners provide a sense of equilibrium to each other. They can certainly contribute to the stresses of daily life at times, but they also provide relief and support when things aren't going well. Even the most grounded, "logical" adults should feel the butterflies and excitement of a new relationship. I think that if you've never felt the thrill of a new relationship, you've got a partner and little else.
I agree with this 100%.

While sometimes I miss the feeling of being in a new relationship, I get over it quickly. Because then I remember that the woman I love today isn't the same one I had butterflies for 12 years ago. This one is smarter, wiser, and more experienced.

The relationship is on much more solid footing now because we know each other's flaws and still choose to be with each other. It's easy to forget that when two people are dating, there's no guarantee they'll want to be together once the honeymoon stage is over and one's real self -- and that includes their flaws, vulnerabilities, quirks -- is on display.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:25 AM

48,521 posts, read 34,843,322 times
We have been married for 5 years, together for 8.

The honeymoon phase comes and goes, and personally, I think that is pretty good. Any loss of that phase is replaced with something deeper, so it's a "win" in my book.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-11-2017, 07:39 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,872,814 times
My first wife, I felt in love because I was very young , so it lasted quite a long time (1 year)
My actual wife, I've never been passionately in love with (which doesn't mean I don't have strong ties, maybe stronger than in a passionate fling), so probably only a few weeks (don't remember, it was in another life).

Old 10-11-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
So I had to look up the definition of "Honeymoon Stage" to get some context. And this is the first thing that popped up.

"The honeymoon period tends to last anywhere between 6 months and a year. The relationship still feels fresh and exciting, and you're constantly learning new things about each other and having first experiences together. But there comes a point when suddenly you've done all that stuff together already."

We've been together for 18 1/2 years, married for 10 of those. I'll address it in sections:

"The honeymoon period tends to last anywhere between 6 months and a year."

We are well beyond that time period.

"The relationship still feels fresh and exciting..."

Our relationship doesn't feel fresh, but it's definitely not stale either. And we certainly still have exciting times together.

"...and you're constantly learning new things about each other and having first experiences together."

There probably isn't anything "new" that I can learn about him. We definitely still have first experiences together. We travel some (when work and money allows us to), we have regular date nights. We are lucky to live in an area that has a plethora of things to do and see. We went to the symphony for the very first time last month!

"But there comes a point when suddenly you've done all that stuff together already."

Maybe when we're much older? There's so much that's available to be experienced in life and he's the number one person I want to experience things with, that I can't imagine we'll "be done with all that stuff" anytime soon.

And it's not even first experiences, it can be things we very much enjoy doing over and over again like traveling to a certain city. <--I still get excited over doing these things with him.

I do not miss the early years of our relationship. We are much more stable now, confident and secure in who we are individually as well as a couple.

I just want to add the caveat to the above since it reads like we're always rainbows and unicorns - we are not perfect, we have our occasional disagreements and arguments. We occasionally get on each other's nerves . We have challenges that life throws our way.
Wow, you pretty much summed up my relationship with my wife. I don't necessarily "miss" the early years -- as that seems to suggest a longing to go back to those days -- but I do reflect on them very fondly. It was my first serious relationship (following a couple of short flings), and it came as a surprise. I had actually met my wife in 6th grade and never really saw or spoke to her again until we reconnected on MySpace 8 or 9 years later. We lost our virginity to each other that year, which made it even more special.

It all felt surreal. After being in a relationship slump my whole life up to that point, I turned 20 and hooked up with her a few days later. It's as if kissing the teen years goodbye was all it took to end the dry spell. Sometimes I hoped it wasn't all a wonderful dream I'd wake up from, and thankfully it wasn't.

The start of the relationship also coincided with a period in my life that I -- and most others-- found to be very exciting and carefree: college.

I'll never forget those years, but I look forward to what lies ahead. My wife and I are trying to do a lot of traveling now before starting a family. It adds variety and keeps things fresh.

Last edited by Wordsmith12; 10-11-2017 at 07:54 AM..

Old 10-11-2017, 07:47 AM

48,521 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
My first wife, I felt in love because I was very young , so it lasted quite a long time (1 year)
My actual wife, I've never been passionately in love with (which doesn't mean I don't have strong ties, maybe stronger than in a passionate fling), so probably only a few weeks (don't remember, it was in another life).
That made me sad.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships