Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 07:24 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,839,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
In all fairness, it would be completely reasonable for the OP to ask for dissolution of the marriage after such a revelation...I mean, maybe your partner is a lesbian, but that doesn't mean you are one!...but I think it's commendable that you loved the person more than the plumbing and you're determined to do your best to make things work out.

And on top of everything you have shared, there is something I've heard about from my trans friends that they call "second puberty" where they're taking hormones and their emotions are completely haywire for a while. I have teenage kids, and I remember my own teen years, and I can only imagine that level of hormonality along with a huge life change and a whole different dynamic... Honestly OP, you're like some kind of superhero for weathering this whole storm, in my opinion.

Have you thought of looking into ways for your spouse to find her own female friends to have girl time with, perhaps? Meetups or anything? I think some social support would be nice for her to have, but she doesn't need to usurp your family and friend ties to get it.

Thanks Sonic
Yes, I had to go through the hormone thing with her. (and I went through that with my 6 kids already )
Holy moly!! LOL

"What doesn't kill ya, makes you stronger"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
of course not. Please don't play stupid. If my partner has been thinking of having surgeries for many, many years, I think he owes me the truth BEFORE we marry. And I shouldn't have to ask him - in a drunken night where we exchange secrets and things we are scared of, he should come out with it. BEFORE we even think of marriage. Then I can make a decision if I stay with him or not.
No, I'm not "playing stupid". I am quite intelligent. Everyone was very surprised when we told them. My spouse said "I could have made the best spy ever because nobody knew".

Should my spouse have told me before we married? You bet!! I was quite ticked about it but luckily I am open minded, sympathetic and kind. So, we worked past that.
My spouse is very aware it was wrong to deceive me.

Old 10-27-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Unless they don't tell you that, because they haven't worked through it yet themselves and gotten to that point in their own process.

And, yes, one's spouse would not be out of line if, upon finding out that the person he or she married is transgender, finds that they can't accept the changes to their relationship, married life, etc. This poster seems to have done her best to accept and work with what's going on with the person she married, even through things that make it rough. But it wouldn't be wrong for someone to say, "No, this isn't the relationship I thought I had. It really just comes down to the individuals involved, and how they are able to deal with the changes.

To the OP, this hasn't happened to me, but it has happened to a college friend. She and her husband were married for a number of years before her spouse came out as transgender. It was not easy on her or their relationship, but they have stayed together for several years so far, did a vow renewal last year that better fit who they are than their original marriage ceremony did, and seem to be embracing the evolution of their relationship.
Yes, many women would not have stayed. My spouse is aware of that. Sometimes though, I think she forgets what I gave up and that does get annoying. However, I don't hold it over her head.

I am so happy for your college friend. I'm glad they worked it out as well

Old 10-27-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
OP, you aren't a lesbian, right? You wanted to be married to a man, not a woman. How is this fair to you? Honestly just curious, sorry if it's an insensitive question.

Kudos to you for being so understanding of your spouse.
No, I am not a Lesbian or Bi. It's funny because in this is my second marriage and I used to joke with my current spouse (long before she came out to me) That "if this relationship does not work out, I'm becoming a Lesbian" Ha Ha Ha

God has a funny way of teaching you a lesson about joking about something. LOLOLOLOL

Old 10-27-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Eh. This is debatable (and debated).

But, I will say that in the case of my college friend going through this, what it did ultimately come down to for her was coming to terms with the fact that she loved the person she married. She didn't love the person that she married because they were a specific gender. She loved them because of who they were, and that didn't change. To her, I say, "Cool."
Exactly! I fell in love with my spouse's personality and sense of humor

Last edited by CindyRoos; 10-27-2017 at 07:44 PM..

Old 10-27-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
CindyRoos you are a kind and understanding person and your spouse does not seem to realize just how lucky she is to have you!
She has been told that!

Really it just comes down to being a good person and loving someone enough to want them to be happy

and Thank you for your kind words!

Old 10-27-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post
Wow OP.....you're a better person than I am, because I'll tell you right here and now, IF I had a relationship with AND THEN got married to a man that I thought was a MAN and someone that I could trust for almost a DECADE, and they didn't smile or seemed happy during that whole entire time and THEN decided to finally tell me that they're transgendered - I don't care how many years I've invested emotionally in them - I would get an annulment immediately, without hesitation. He/she LIED to you! Your marriage, your relationship, all the time you spent with him/her...everything was a LIE. He/she ROBBED you of almost TEN YEARS of your life - you can't ever get those years back.

It doesn't matter that they haven't 'processed or resolved' this within their own mind yet or was 'too scared' to come out during all those YEARS. I mean, my God - something like this NEEDS TO BE DISCLOSED to the person THEY are having a relationship and marriage with!!! That other person DESERVES TO KNOW something like this BEFORE they enter into a relationship with them! I mean seriously, that's just so crazy that he/she actually DID this to the OP! Cruel, selfish and cowardly are adjectives that come to my mind with regard to the OP's husband/wife/whatever.

And, on top of THAT, he/she is now even MORE 'insensitive' and 'selfish' since they have changed to a female and is NO LONGER treating the OP as a wife, which is what she DESERVES to be treated as, because that's what she signed up for. She didn't sign up for ANY of this. The OP said that since she's 50, she's 'not about to start over again' with anyone else...so now, it sounds like she's actually going to put up with this for the rest of her life.

How very sad.
I can't say your wrong AprilFlowers. I had to go through a process of shock, anger, sadness....all of it. But in the end I had to ask myself "If I leave, would I miss this person and the answer is Yes". So, the relationship is not over. I can't walk away. I took vows for better or worse.
I hope I go to heaven LOLOLOL

Old 10-27-2017, 07:42 PM

926 posts, read 673,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
No, I am not a Lesbian or Bi. It's funny because in this is my second marriage and I used to joke with my current spouse (long before she came out to me) That "if this relationship does not work out, I'm becoming a Lesbian" Ha Ha Ha

God has a funny way of teaching you a lesson about joking about something. LOLOLOLOL
Wow. In your initial post, you didn't sound this giddy or happy when you were talking about the things that were troubling you with all this. Now, you're laughing and cracking up, like it's so much fun!

So glad all this happened to you! Yay!

lol

Edit: Because I didn't read the post you wrote to me before I posted this. Ya know, I'm sorry....but Idk....I'm just...so...confused about this...about your reaction....about how you're so cool with all this....

Old 10-27-2017, 07:43 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,452,731 times
Well, good luck to you!

Sounds like you need to open a joint account with your wife and agree to pay for shared expenses in tandem. Debating who pays for dinner after all this time seems unnecessary. Maybe a bit more couple’s counseling? Try to find someone who specializes in LGBTQ, etc. (As a matter of fact, I just discovered a friend’s daughter has that set of credentials.)

Old 10-27-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post
Wow. In your initial post, you didn't sound this giddy or happy when you were talking about the things that were troubling you with all this. Now, you're laughing and cracking up, like it's so much fun!

So glad all this happened to you! Yay!

lol

Edit: Because I didn't read the post you wrote to me before I posted this. Ya know, I'm sorry....but Idk....I'm just...so...confused about this...about your reaction....about how you're so cool with all this....

I have to laugh AprilFlowers. What is the alternative? Crying? Naww
I'm stronger than that

You'd understand if you knew me in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships