Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 10:19 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,369,217 times

Advertisements

Ditto Sonic. Using tact goes a long way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 10:45 AM

336 posts, read 195,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's not that black and white--stating a preference isn't necessarily dooming anyone to solitude. I can say that I prefer guys with dark hair, but I've actually dated blond guys and guys who've shaved their heads. It's only if someone is allowing a fantasy to override reality that there's a problem.
Its pretty black and white, when you do online dating and filter out any guy under 6'2" making less than 100k. I personally dont care, because I check both boxes, but I realize how many guys get disqualified without being given a chance, for dubious reasons

Old 12-19-2017, 10:58 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1981 View Post
Its pretty black and white, when you do online dating and filter out any guy under 6'2" making less than 100k. I personally dont care, because I check both boxes, but I realize how many guys get disqualified without being given a chance, for dubious reasons
I think that's more a factor of the ideology that drives men and women to approach dating differently.

Men are blasting larger numbers of women, anyone who is acceptable, doing that "numbers game" thing, in the hopes that some few might give them a shot. A man would look at a large pool of possible results and see that as a good thing...unless he casts his net and still gets no results.

Women see a page with 1,000 thumbnails of male photos, as an overwhelming heap that MUST be narrowed down. We do not want to play a numbers game. We want to find Mr. Perfect, not a few hundred possibilities. And if the best guy doesn't respond, then we might message up to two or three runners up, if we're the sort to make first contact at all.

So we are looking for any way at all that we might narrow the field. And unfortunately, the easiest filters to apply are those that might not be hard limits, but they are numerical parameters. Like I said, if a woman met a guy in person who didn't fall within those supposed restrictions she put on her online dating pool, she might yet LIKE him well enough to say, "Well I know I said over 6' tall guys, but maybe that's not so important, I mean, his eyes...and his laugh...and he likes this food and that show..." We look for those points of connection and commonality.

I think if she gets to the point where she's not liking the results showing up with her filters on, she'll adjust them.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:59 AM

48,521 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1981 View Post

Yes, it's always the other person's reasons are "dubious" but yours (not you personally) are not.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-19-2017, 12:36 PM

1,199 posts, read 730,671 times
Lol. This thread.

There is a difference between "liking what you like" and coming off as an entitled brat.

Old 12-19-2017, 12:44 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings18 View Post
Lol. This thread.

There is a difference between "liking what you like" and coming off as an entitled brat.

So environment has nothing to do with it.

So you're telling me that I'm a Kansas City Chiefs fan because I sat down and logically determined that I like that team/players/franchise. Thus, the fact that I was born and raised in Kansas City had no factor in why I am a fan of the Kansas City Chiefs.

Everything has a cause, and it's laughable when people say that their preferences are just there because "that's what they like." No, your preferences are THE SAME as everyone around you...and it's because the environment has put created that preference.

"I just like what I like"
So you're telling me that companies spend BILLIONS of dollars every years for no reason. That advertising doesn't work and doesn't influence people to engage with a product or brand. Give me a break

Old 12-19-2017, 12:45 PM

336 posts, read 195,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I think that's more a factor of the ideology that drives men and women to approach dating differently.

Men are blasting larger numbers of women, anyone who is acceptable, doing that "numbers game" thing, in the hopes that some few might give them a shot. A man would look at a large pool of possible results and see that as a good thing...unless he casts his net and still gets no results.

Women see a page with 1,000 thumbnails of male photos, as an overwhelming heap that MUST be narrowed down. We do not want to play a numbers game. We want to find Mr. Perfect, not a few hundred possibilities. And if the best guy doesn't respond, then we might message up to two or three runners up, if we're the sort to make first contact at all.

So we are looking for any way at all that we might narrow the field. And unfortunately, the easiest filters to apply are those that might not be hard limits, but they are numerical parameters. Like I said, if a woman met a guy in person who didn't fall within those supposed restrictions she put on her online dating pool, she might yet LIKE him well enough to say, "Well I know I said over 6' tall guys, but maybe that's not so important, I mean, his eyes...and his laugh...and he likes this food and that show..." We look for those points of connection and commonality.

I think if she gets to the point where she's not liking the results showing up with her filters on, she'll adjust them.
I agree with you, its definitely the approach to dating in general that differs for men and women. But form my own experience, I know that its common to hear a woman say things like "he is so not my type, but we hit it off anyway, and now im really into him". The problem with that is, that in OLD scenario, this guy she is really into, never gets his chance to begin with. He doesnt exist, because he was filtered out due to not meeting a criteria that doesnt much matter in the end. For guys its pretty simple for the most part. We either find you attractive or not, and that basically remains that way.

Old 12-19-2017, 12:45 PM

Requirements: Must make $100k+, college degree, athletic, 6ft+, always a gentlemen (I'm "traditional"), ambitious, cool hobbies

Her: Does hair at Lady Jane's, smokes, two kids (different dads), GED, lives at home, slightly overweight, too many tats

The idea here, that seems to get lost on people, isn't that people aren't allowed to like what they like. It's that they think they deserve this high value person when they bring very little to the table themselves. It's the entitlement that gets under people's skin. Not the "well I'm not six foot hrrrrrumppph!."

Old 12-19-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post

So you're telling me that I'm a Kansas City Chiefs fan because I sat down and logically determined that I like that team/players/franchise. Thus, the fact that I was born and raised in Kansas City had no factor in why I am a fan of the Kansas City Chiefs.
What? How did you go there with what I said.

People can and do like whatever they like. I don't think you "logically determined" your fandom of the Chiefs.

My point is that some people come off as entitled brats in their profiles.

I also think that some people take offense to certain things. A lot of guys think it is offensive to see a height requirement in a girls profile. I don't, but I understand it. But men aren't allowed to take offense in 2017 so shhhhhussh whiner. It's the same reason I don't say I like a certain breast size in my profile, I think it's tacky and would likely offend a lot of girls.

Old 12-19-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post

Everything has a cause, and it's laughable when people say that their preferences are just there because "that's what they like." No, your preferences are THE SAME as everyone around you...and it's because the environment has put created that preference.

"I just like what I like"
So you're telling me that companies spend BILLIONS of dollars every years for no reason. That advertising doesn't work and doesn't influence people to engage with a product or brand. Give me a break
Ok. So do you think gay dudes are born gay and "like what they like" (which is dudes) or that there was a cause and they were basically turned gay by something.

I love this question because it either invalidates your argument or outs yourself as a bigot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships