Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 02:17 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times

Advertisements

I worked concession and tickets at a movie theater when I turned 15 1/2. Loved it as a young girl. I learned to be responsible, friendly to the public and quick on the job...all those people waiting for popcorn...

True it was low pay, but what to expect from your first job...? The guy was likely in school and found hours that worked for him.

Plus, I watched FREE movies with popcorn for the 2 1/2 years I worked there.

[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Did you really think he might be trying to get with her, when you were standing right there? Get a grip, OP. This kind of thing isn't unusual, on the part of service personnel. For some, it's part of their sales schtick. For others, it's a way to compliment a stranger they admire, while keeping it all within social bounds. Think how excruciatingly dull his job is, not to mention the low pay. A pretty face walking past is the only consolation prize he gets, for taking and mind-numbing job for grunt pay.

Chill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 02:25 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,723,158 times
Not that serious. Keep it moving.

Don't get into the habit of thinking that every guy is trying to come after your girlfriend. The world is a big place with a lot more important matters for people to attend to.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:12 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
The wink is weird...you say he winked at her...if he'd winked at you I'd say he was complimenting YOUR taste in women but he was being a bit over the top adding the wink.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:22 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
The wink is weird...you say he winked at her...if he'd winked at you I'd say he was complimenting YOUR taste in women but he was being a bit over the top adding the wink.

Sometimes I wink after I say something. I mean it to convey "this is just in fun."

Old 12-06-2017, 03:30 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I lived in VA and was called honey and darling all the freaking time from all sorts of people. Old, young, male, female.

I had a (younger) coworker (female) call me "baby girl" until I put a stop to it.

You are overreacting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
That firms up my original assessment. He was just being nice.
Virginia, yep.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:35 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Sometimes I wink after I say something. I mean it to convey "this is just in fun."
Yes, it nearly always means, "Just kidding" when done to the person spoken to.

If he had winked to the guy, it would have meant, "I just lied to her, and she bought it."

Old 12-06-2017, 05:53 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,596,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
Even in the world we live in now, giving a compliment is not the same as hitting on someone.

I was in a hotel in Sevilla, Spain, with my then girlfriend, around 1979-1980, and got in the elevator to go up to our room one night, when a waiter got in, with a bottle and some glasses.
As we waited for the doors to close, my girl leaned over and kissed me gently, on the lips.
The waiter looked at her, then me, and said, “Ella es una chica hermosa no?” (She’s a beautiful girl, right?)
I only knew a little bit of Spanish, but I knew enough to reply, “Si, comer su Corazon fuera”’ (Yes, eat your heart out).
I told her what he’d said when we got out, she said, “See, I told you you were born lucky.”
I took it a compliment that the guy saw my girl as attractive, so should the OP.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:45 PM

194 posts, read 143,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
I was in a hotel in Sevilla, Spain, with my then girlfriend, around 1979-1980, and got in the elevator to go up to our room one night, when a waiter got in, with a bottle and some glasses.
As we waited for the doors to close, my girl leaned over and kissed me gently, on the lips.
The waiter looked at her, then me, and said, “Ella es una chica hermosa no?” (She’s a beautiful girl, right?)
I only knew a little bit of Spanish, but I knew enough to reply, “Si, comer su Corazon fuera”’ (Yes, eat your heart out).
I told her what he’d said when we got out, she said, “See, I told you you were born lucky.”
I took it a compliment that the guy saw my girl as attractive, so should the OP.
Oh sure, I can take it as a compliment, I just can't read his mind.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:47 PM

194 posts, read 143,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Yeah, the wink threw me off.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:32 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I worked concession and tickets at a movie theater when I turned 15 1/2. Loved it as a young girl. I learned to be responsible, friendly to the public and quick on the job...all those people waiting for popcorn...

True it was low pay, but what to expect from your first job...? The guy was likely in school and found hours that worked for him.

Plus, I watched FREE movies with popcorn for the 2 1/2 years I worked there.

[/b]
Yeah, I know; for teens those jobs are great. Or even for college students. I was putting an adult perspective on it, since I assume the OP is out of college, and a bit past the age-range that would find a job for those wages something to write home about. I'm noticing these days, that retirees are taking the ticket vendor jobs in theaters. Anything to supplement Social Security, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships