Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 08:30 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,597,295 times

Advertisements

I have a tendency to ramble, so I'll try to be as concise as possible. I'm 38 years old, and am going into the 3rd year of an awesome relationship. I am about as socially awkward as a person can be. I was always terrible with women in high school. I was a ultra nerd who was never good at sports. I was picked on and bullied. And I don't have a single remaining friend or contact from high school. In 2005 at the age of 25, I was just as much of an socially awkward nerd who couldn't talk to women as I was at 15. But the best thing happened to me in 2006, my then girlfriend who was just using me as a "conviencince boyfriend" dumped me for some guy she really wanted to be with. And that was the best thing to ever happen in my life. That forced me to not hang out, to fail fast and to learn. And I finally did learn my lesson in 2013.

I listened to all the MRA blogs and podcast, and all of the MGTOW. I was entrenched in it. But I heard a simple blogger who talked about demanding respect. And to me it finally made sense. Demand respect at all times. But the key was having respect for myself. That was the real lesson. I was a big smoker since I was 18 years old. I kicked the habit in 2014, I got in the gym, and I started focusing way more on my career. I was so driven to succeed at all of the goals I made for myself, I completely forgot about the opposite sex. As a man, occasionally I'll have a little play thing on the side just to scratch and itch occasionally. But I was driven and totally focused on myself.

By the time I met my girlfriend, having a girlfriend was secondary. I wasn't looking or overturning stones to find a girlfriend. It just kind of happened. It was the flow of life and the positive vibes that I was surrounding myself with that allowed me to find my girlfriend. It wasn't going on 50 dates, or psycho-analyzing why a girl isn't texting me back. By the time I met my girlfriend I just didn't care anymore, because I was so focused on being a better version of myself.

And that is the reason I am no longer single. I decided one day to try to be the best version of myself I could possibly be. I decided that respect was the most important thing. and I learned to let go, and no beat myself up if a woman wasn't feeling me, or if she was being flakey, or if she wasn't calling or texting. The key to ending your singlehood is to stop caring about it, and start caring about yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 08:53 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,110,164 times
Congratulations! I'm glad it's all worked out for you. I remember you. You first complained about women you were dating expecting you to help them pay their bills, and you didn't know why this was happening. Then later you divulged that you love to talk about investing, so that's what you talked about on dates. But you hadn't connected the dots.

I'm glad everything came together for you. Who's the lucky lady?

Old 02-28-2018, 08:15 AM

20,770 posts, read 20,007,648 times
That's amazing! Good to hear from you!

How did you meet her? Seems you dated quite some women before (remarks to flaking, etc.) so you went to OLD?

This should be read by all the guys who come here and whine.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:36 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,042,284 times
This is wonderful news! Much happiness to you!

Old 02-28-2018, 01:12 PM

651 posts, read 408,539 times
Trying to do well for yourself is always good, regardless of whether or not someone falls into your lap as result of that. Everyone is different and we are all attracted to different things but ambition is always good no matter what. Keep it up!

Old 02-28-2018, 04:07 PM

11,812 posts, read 12,055,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I listened to all the MRA blogs and podcast, and all of the MGTOW. I was entrenched in it. But I heard a simple blogger who talked about demanding respect. And to me it finally made sense. Demand respect at all times. But the key was having respect for myself. That was the real lesson.

By the time I met my girlfriend, having a girlfriend was secondary. I wasn't looking or overturning stones to find a girlfriend. It just kind of happened. It was the flow of life and the positive vibes that I was surrounding myself with that allowed me to find my girlfriend. It wasn't going on 50 dates, or psycho-analyzing why a girl isn't texting me back. By the time I met my girlfriend I just didn't care anymore, because I was so focused on being a better version of myself.

And that is the reason I am no longer single. I decided one day to try to be the best version of myself I could possibly be. I decided that respect was the most important thing. and I learned to let go, and no beat myself up if a woman wasn't feeling me, or if she was being flakey, or if she wasn't calling or texting. The key to ending your singlehood is to stop caring about it, and start caring about yourself.
Great news!

Despite what many think, if you don't like, love or respect yourself, you can't give that to others, and others who have it aren't going to give it to you. It's where the phrases of like attracting like, water seeks its own level, what you put out into the world comes back to you, come from. Good for you to getting yourself to a mentally healthy place and in turn, meeting someone who reciprocates that.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:18 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,762,202 times
Congrats, but if you were pulling in little playthings on the side you weren't really socially awkward.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:23 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,107,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
That's amazing! Good to hear from you!

How did you meet her? Seems you dated quite some women before (remarks to flaking, etc.) so you went to OLD?

This should be read by all the guys who come here and whine.
Some of us don't even get a first date to have women flake on us lol

Old 02-28-2018, 10:39 PM

424 posts, read 236,972 times
Quote:
I have a tendency to ramble, so I'll try to be as concise as possible. I'm 38 years old, and am going into the 3rd year of an awesome relationship. I am about as socially awkward as a person can be. I was always terrible with women in high school. I was a ultra nerd who was never good at sports. I was picked on and bullied. And I don't have a single remaining friend or contact from high school. In 2005 at the age of 25, I was just as much of an socially awkward nerd who couldn't talk to women as I was at 15. But the best thing happened to me in 2006, my then girlfriend who was just using me as a "conviencince boyfriend" dumped me for some guy she really wanted to be with. And that was the best thing to ever happen in my life. That forced me to not hang out, to fail fast and to learn. And I finally did learn my lesson in 2013.

I listened to all the MRA blogs and podcast, and all of the MGTOW. I was entrenched in it. But I heard a simple blogger who talked about demanding respect. And to me it finally made sense. Demand respect at all times. But the key was having respect for myself. That was the real lesson. I was a big smoker since I was 18 years old. I kicked the habit in 2014, I got in the gym, and I started focusing way more on my career. I was so driven to succeed at all of the goals I made for myself, I completely forgot about the opposite sex. As a man, occasionally I'll have a little play thing on the side just to scratch and itch occasionally. But I was driven and totally focused on myself.

Interesting back story.

Have you ever read The Rational Male by Rollo Tommasi? It's amazing and is really key in explaining the minds of women.

You did play into the female imperative that currently controls our society by "being the best version of your" (meaning that you created as ideal of a person as you can be in the eyes of women).

Being MGTOW is not the worst thing one can be in our current society.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:21 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,302,100 times
Quote:
I decided that respect was the most important thing. and I learned to let go, and no beat myself up if a woman wasn't feeling me, or if she was being flakey, or if she wasn't calling or texting. The key to ending your singlehood is to stop caring about it, and start caring about yourself.
right on!!!! good decision..good for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships