Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 03:40 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Well, not only the one woman I know, but people I've known (or known of) that I could easily imagine doing something like this...

If you get out of it having paid for one meal more than you ought to have, then you've gotten off cheap, because they are users. Sometimes crazy ones. That is the kind of person who does this...a user.

Users exist across all genders, and they work whatever game they can to get whatever they are trying to get. It should not be this shocking thing that there are people in the world who, given the chance, will walk all over you.

Fortunately though, it sure ain't most of us.
^ I definitely agree with you! ^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 03:42 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
In Los Angeles? I don't think so.

Or anywhere that I've lived so far. I've never actually seen it happen. Not sure why you seem to feel I have friends who do this? I an answering others' assertions. Should be pretty clear but if you're still not understanding this, let me know and I will try to clear it up.

Because you brought it up. It seems to be something you were aware of and a lifestyle you're familiar with. It's not anything I know anything about (or even heard of outside of here), so, would never have occurred to bring it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Perhaps...

From where I sit and what I've seen it is certainly believable and I would surmise that there is a lot of stuff my circle doesn't share nor talk freely about. I certainly wouldnt want to admit that I hustled someone for a dinner.
I too think it is one of those urban legend things that makes for a cheap and easy pop magazine article to be like, look at those golddiggers in LA, NY, etc.

The reality is, going out with a person several times until you have a dinner date to get free food is pretty unlikely, and it's completely bizarre if you do what most normal people do, which is date peers.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:45 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Because you brought it up. It seems to be something you were aware of and a lifestyle you're familiar with. It's not anything I know anything about (or even heard of outside of here), so, would never have occurred to bring it up.
No. I didn't bring it up. I answered another poster who claimed he knew women who went out 4 times per week to get free dinners. HTH clear things up.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:45 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I had people suggest I go out with a guy and get the free meal he offers.
They could've just been joking.....but...eh the cynic in me doubts that.
I always passed.
Hold out for a movie and a backrub. But first, flowers.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:54 PM

10,342 posts, read 5,864,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I always passed.
Not so fast...he might think nothing of throwing in that $300 replacement key you need.

Old 03-12-2018, 04:04 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,353,220 times
Right after I divorced in 1983, I dated three men for about eight months before I settled on just one of them who is now my husband, and we have now been married for 31 years. However, I had been friends with all three of those men for years before the divorce, so it wasn't like they were just-met casual hook-ups and it wasn't like I had sex with all three of them in a single week. In fact, there was just one month that I had sex with even two of them. (Not at the same time, though, as I ended the sexual part of the relationship with one before going on to the other.) Btw, they all knew about the others, so although I did not go into details, there was no lying going on.

I would, however, have had a problem dating anyone who treated sex very casually -- and I would still feel that way now if I were ever single again.

Last edited by katharsis; 03-12-2018 at 04:17 PM..

Old 03-12-2018, 04:40 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
With the advent of popular dating sites/apps like Tinder, women dating 3 guys at once is the norm. Maybe I'm a prude but I have a problem with this. Guys are rendered disposable. I've heard conversations where women talk about quickly swiping left and how dating sites/apps are pointless to them. I think dating sites/apps are just a tool for women to catch a big fish. If you aren't a big fish you are tossed back into the water. Thus, the modern dating scene is largely diluted.

I've never dated 3 women at once so I wouldn't be interested in a woman doing so. I think it could be a challenge nowadays to still find young wholesome women.
And?...

Old 03-12-2018, 04:42 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,581,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Is this why bidets were invented?
That's a good one Ruth4Truth....

Old 03-12-2018, 06:41 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,229,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Well, because we don't live in bubbles. We have friends, family members....we all know many, many, many people. Friends talk. If I had a friend who was dating four different guys a week, as a routine, to get dinner I'd know it.

It really is a practice in hyperbole. Anything can happen RARELY, you might hear rarely of a date showing up having lied about his or her gender, to throw one crazysauce example out there. But to worry about such over the top "possibilities" as imminent and large-scale *is* silly baring *evidence* of this as a bigger thing.
Is this one of you current missions? To debunk the whole dating for free dinners thing? I know this must irritate the hell out of you because you brought it up for no reason and want to shut up anyone that says it's true.

FYI I do think a miniscule amount of women do this, not even bother worth mentioning.

Old 03-12-2018, 07:25 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,719,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Hold out for a movie and a backrub. But first, flowers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Not so fast...he might think nothing of throwing in that $300 replacement key you need.
Not even gonna lie....I laughed Rbccl lol.

You guys are hilarious.

Lmao.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships