Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 08:04 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,239,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Doctor View Post
Today's dating climate is pathetic.
For sure, hardly anyone takes it very seriously at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 11:23 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
For sure, hardly anyone takes it very seriously at all.

People absolutely DO take dating seriously when and if they find someone to be serious about. Until then, they don't, and they shouldn't.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:56 PM

32 posts, read 20,774 times
It depends on how the guy is communicating. I no longer do online dating because of the superficiality of it all. For example, clearly everyone is talking to multiple people at the same time. If a guy calls me "sweetly" or "babe" in the first few messages, comments on something physical/sexual, or pulls out random pickup lines, there is no way I'm going to meet with that guy. I've only met up with two guys in person and I've decided to meet them because they spoke to me very formally and respectfully and had the right pace of messaging politely, then asking for number, texting consistently but not excessively, etc. Nobody wants to feel like "one of many" but unfortunately you are when you are online and everyone's value kind of goes down when you have so many options. In the end, it's sickening. Meeting people in person the old fashioned way is much better when it comes to determining true chemistry and attraction.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:55 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,407,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovedianaroses View Post
It depends on how the guy is communicating. I no longer do online dating because of the superficiality of it all. For example, clearly everyone is talking to multiple people at the same time. If a guy calls me "sweetly" or "babe" in the first few messages, comments on something physical/sexual, or pulls out random pickup lines, there is no way I'm going to meet with that guy. I've only met up with two guys in person and I've decided to meet them because they spoke to me very formally and respectfully and had the right pace of messaging politely, then asking for number, texting consistently but not excessively, etc. Nobody wants to feel like "one of many" but unfortunately you are when you are online and everyone's value kind of goes down when you have so many options. In the end, it's sickening. Meeting people in person the old fashioned way is much better when it comes to determining true chemistry and attraction.
How is that any different? In-person, they can still be talking to other people, lol.

With online dating, you still have to meet in-person and go on a 1st date/meet to determine attraction and chemistry.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:18 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Just because they're not meeting up with you, that doesn't mean they're not meeting up with anyone.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:33 AM

814 posts, read 760,393 times
Fair enough. I wish they would please just talk to whoever it is they're meeting with and stop wasting my time. I mean that's what the swipe feature is for, so you don't have to talk to people you're not interested in.

Old 04-11-2018, 05:29 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycich View Post
Fair enough. I wish they would please just talk to whoever it is they're meeting with and stop wasting my time. I mean that's what the swipe feature is for, so you don't have to talk to people you're not interested in.

Um, I usually don't know if I'm interested until I have talked to someone for a bit. That's what generates my interest. It's the entire point of chatting with someone. A couple of pics might make me look, but its not enough for me to want to meet you.

Old 04-11-2018, 05:34 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I love online dating and have had a lot of great experiences on it, but I dont get why people join these apps just to chat and never actually meet up. It's very dishonest and wastes people's time
How do you know they do not chat or meet up? Surely all you know is that they had no interest in chatting or meeting up with _you_?

Perhaps if you are noticing a lot of people not interested in chatting or meeting - on a site full of people chatting and meeting - then the common denominator is you?

Old 04-11-2018, 10:20 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
How do you know they do not chat or meet up? Surely all you know is that they had no interest in chatting or meeting up with _you_?

Perhaps if you are noticing a lot of people not interested in chatting or meeting - on a site full of people chatting and meeting - then the common denominator is you?
Oh no, I had my fair share of dates. Must've had dozens by now, while the amount of people who chat with no intention of meeting up is still in the single digits. And clearly I'm not the only one complaining about this, since a lot of people stated this in the topic

And I'm not talking about people who have no interest in chatting with me, rather those who only have interest in chatting, but once you suggest to meet up they're not interested. But then keep chatting. Me thinks they just want texting buddies more than anything else

Old 04-11-2018, 10:22 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Um, I usually don't know if I'm interested until I have talked to someone for a bit. That's what generates my interest. It's the entire point of chatting with someone. A couple of pics might make me look, but its not enough for me to want to meet you.
Yeah usually it takes some time to figure out if you like the other person's personality or not. From experience, if a girl immediately gives her number, that means she's looking for something that's not a relationship lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships